“Great stay! Will visit again!”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great stay! Will visit again!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We just left the Marriott and we had a great stay. Our room was upgraded upon arrival to a center ocean front room and the manager let me see the corner room that I reserved just to be sure I likes the new room. The staff was very helpful and nice. Breakfast buffet was great and the servers there were also just as nice. I actually picked this location based on the reviews of it being on the quiet side of the beach and it was. We were able to get a good spot on the beach right in front of the hotel. It is much quieter on the south side. Starbucks in the hotel is a great plus! The only thing that bothered me is that it appears that the cleaning staff only came in and made the beds. They didn't vacuum the floors so crumbs were left on the floor all night. Other than that, would consider it a great stay and will return.

• Stayed August 2013
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your vacation and taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments about our location, breakfast buffet, and service. Next time you are in Virginia Beach, I hope you are able to stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My family and I just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and I wish I could have stayed longer! The suite is beautiful, spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and polite. The pool looked great but we didn't use it because we were on the beach all the time. The only things that I would change are: there shouldn't be a parking fee (even if it is only $5) because people are paying enough for a room; the dryers need to be updated only because they take a long time to dry a regular load of clothes; the front desk staff should know whether or not there is an urgent care clinic nearby....we had to take our son there to be seen and no one knew if there was a facility near by....thank goodness for cell phones ~ and finally I think the hotel should offer a special rate for beach chairs/umbrellas~ $40 a day for 2 chairs and an umbrella (until 5:00) is a bit steep. Other than that, I would recommend this location and I will surely return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We truly appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you and your family again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I just needed a long weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary and relax since work has been stressful. We got the king, oceanfront room with a whirlpool since it was a romantic getaway. The hotel was perfect because it was at the quiet end of the beach. We did walk down to Catch 31 at the recommendation of the front desk for a very nice dinner that included a live band. Overall the staff was very friendly. There is a restaurant called the Bistro in the lobby which is more like a small coffee shop and another place down the hall that serves a breakfast buffet for I think it was $10 per person. We want to thank Alexx who works in the buffet area for making us feel special on Sunday (8/18) ;) Overall great hotel, just needs a little bit of updating. Even though it was cloudy and cool and it rained quite a bit we had a great time. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cindy P, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the bistro's selection and service from Alexx! I will be sure to pass along your comments to him and the rest of the staff. Our location is quieter so it makes it easy to relax and I certainly hope you enjoyed your jacuzzi room! Please visit us again in the future.
Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My family stayed at this location last year and returned because of the cleanliness of the hotel. I'm not sure if it was just our room, but we were really disappointed by the decline of everything. Walking to our room, we noticed the stairway and hallways looked like they hadn't been vaccuumed in weeks. The room itself was run-down, with stained carpet, dirty wallpaper, handprints all over the doors, hair on the bathroom floor, a constantly-running toilet and a really musty smell. The condition of the bathroom was terrible, with cracked and moldy molding and grout. There was not one clean towel at the outdoor pool while we were there (afternoon of 8/18). I attempted a load of laundry during our stay and spent about 15 bucks. The dryer simply wouldn't dry a reasonable load of clothes.
The staff is extremely friendly and the location was awesome for us. The parking here is so much better than other VAB hotels. Unfortunately, we won't be returning unless they undergo a major renovation.

1 Thank kmh73
Cindy P, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I can't apologize enough about the issues you experienced during your stay. The team has been notified of your concerns and they are being addressed. We do of course clean every room but we always have room for improvement. I am sorry that the pool was not fully stocked with towels when you were there. I hope this experience doesn't reflect on Marriott as a brand. Thank you again for your feedback.
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is the third year in a row we've stayed at this hotel. There are two Marriott Courtyards in Virginia Beach. This one is the more northern property and in the quieter section of town. The hotel is clean and very quiet. They started charging for guest parking this year - $5 nite. Cheaper than public parking but others don't charge.

Great in house bistro with good 5 minute pizza and specialty sandwiches. Very nice staff. Heart of the tourist season so room cleaning was a bit slow but still good. Good outdoor pool vut very crowded with lots of families. Have to get there early if you want a lounge chair.

Beach outside the hotel is quieter than most as it is not so accessible to the public. At the north end of the boardwalk so it's quiet outside. Fireworks off the VB Pieer - 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, can be seen from the room balconies.

Typical Marriott Courtyard rooms. Refrigerator, no microwave.

Room Tip: stay towards the end of the halls, away from the elevators and ice-machine. Stay above the 4th floo...
1 Thank 81Aggie58202
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the bistro's selection and service as well as the outdoor pool. Our location is quieter so it makes it easy to relax and a great view of the fireworks on Wednesdays and Sundays. I hope you are able to visit us in the near future.
pittsburgh
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We, a family of 4 including mom, dad, son (15) and daughter (11) stayed at the Courtyard Marriott/N 37th street from August 1 - August 5, 2013. We selected this hotel because it was oceanfront, a Marriott brand and one of the few hotels available with a suite option at the time of our booking. Prior to this visit, we had never been to Virginia Beach.
We cannot say enough fantastic things about our experience at this hotel. From Tyler, who provided complimentary valet parking to Josh who checked us in and gave us an upgrade on our rooms - the service was fantastic. Our two room suite had two balconies directly facing the ocean. Our room was clean, towels were plentiful and nothing was worn (the way beach hotels frequently appear). The "market" in the hotel lobby had snacks that met all our hungers and the restaurant food was also a satisfying option. The pool resembles a true "resort" hotel, with waterfalls, a built "slide" in the pool and plenty of chairs. There is a nice uncrowded bar at the pool that has happy hour drinks and snacks daily. The indoor pool is small but clean and fine for the location/situation (who wants to be at the indoor pool!?!?) The fitness room has 2 treadmills and one eliptical machine (all which work and have their own televisions) as well as a collection of free weights.
We have extensive experience traveling (for both business and pleasure). Our modest expectations for this hotel were rapidly exceeded. If we return to Virginia Beach, we will look no where else except the Courtyard Marriott/N37th as our place to stay.

2 Thank pghot
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our fun outdoor pool, convenient valet service, and our fitness center. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We traveled to the East Coast on a family vacation. We left the beach as a last stop on a multi-city tour and had high expectations for the Courtyard given it is classified as a Category 7 property. Unfortunately, this stay was by far my worst experience with Marriott and it put a big damper on our whole vacation that I ended up cutting it short and fly back home 2 days earlier than planned.

When a property is labeled as a Marriott category 7, it sets the expectations to a certain level of service, amenities and cleanliness. The courtyard in Virginia Beach has none of that.

The AC units are mounted into the balcony wall, reminding me of a motel 6. If you sit outside, The AC is blowing hot air on you. If you go inside, it was so hot that the unit could not keep up with cooling the room. The unit was all dusty and musky that when coupled with the smell from the frying oil emanating from the kitchen 2 floors lower, it was nauseating.

The patio door handle was broken and it looked like somebody tried to break-in before, so they had a latch to keep it closed.

The bathroom had multiple areas of black fungus, room carpet was stained and the general facilities even worse. Elevators were dirty and if we took the stairs, the stench from the kitchen was just too much.

The property does not provide any amenities for the beach: No umbrellas, no chairs, no towels, nothing but they claim they are a category 7 because they are by the beach, have a bar and a swimming pool. Let's not go there.

Finally, the property is on the landing path for Oceana Air base and we had multiple fly-overs by F-18 Hornet planes that the noise prevents anyone from sleeping and is very deafening.

Marriott is misleading people when they classify this property as a Category 7. At best, it is a category 3. Plan accordingly.

I would definitely NOT recommend this place for a beach vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Jacki2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I can't apologize enough about the opportunities you experienced during your stay. The team has been notified of your concerns and they are being addressed. I hope this experience doesn't reflect on Marriott as a brand. Thank you again for your feedback.