“Great family place”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great family place”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Loved the location. We have 2 children and staying on the North end was definitely the way to go. Very family friendly. The staff is great and I like the way they know you and treat you like family. The beach is right outside the door. The rooms are clean and very roomy. You can walk to any restaurant and a drive away to the amusement parks or aquarium. Location and service were key on this stay.

Room Tip: I recommend the 2nd floor. The elevator is very slow and the second floor makes it easy to take the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank fenner26
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you and your children had a great vacation spending time together in our family-friendly hotel. Our staff appreciates your kind words about their service. Have a great rest of your year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We've been to this Courtyard a couple of years in a row for a quick beach getaway. The North end is the place to be. The rooms are all ocean front and beach access is easy. The small decks over looking the beach are great. The real treat here is the reasonable price, nice clean rooms, and beautiful beach. Typical Marriott breakfast, but that's a good good thing. Even though we had to pay for breakfast this last time, it was great, so fill up! If you stay before or after the busy summer season call one of the local surf shops and rent a wet suit to play in the waves. Good for kids too. Increases buoyancy and can help to improve their confidence in the ocean. As always be careful!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank R W
Thank you for staying with us and choosing to review our hotel. It is exciting to hear that you have been coming to our hotel for years! We truly appreciate your loyalty. I am glad you always enjoy your stay and share your advice with other guests. I hope to see you again next year!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in late August in a suite on the 4th floor. Keep in mind, this is a typical beach hotel that gets a lot of traffic, it has both advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages: The room was dated and very dusty. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable. It doesn't appear that the furniture is dusted often (I dusted it myself) and I don't think the carpet edges or the outdoor pool are ever vacuumed. Lots of sand and grass in the pool. If you suffer from allergies, you might want to look elsewhere, however, your choices are limited if you want to stay within the boardwalk area and not pay $400/night. Many of the previous comments are accurate. There was no possibility of an early check in, jets do fly directly over the hotel from morning until night. The noise is sometimes loud enough that if you are at the beach or the pool you cannot hear the person next to you, sleeping is also somewhat of a challenge if you are a light sleeper and retire before midnight. On the bright side, the room was large, the bedding and bathroom was clean enough for a week's stay. The location and view was spectacular and the staff was very friendly and helpful. They arrived at our room within minutes of requesting additional towels, sheets, blankets, etc. The breakfast buffet, pool bar and snack bar food was hit or miss. The chicken barbeque pizza was great, the muffins tasted like they had be frozen and re-thawed several times. Many of the hotels offer starbucks coffee, don't be fooled. They may use starbucks coffee, but the quality of the drinks are not starbucks quality. Go to Whole Foods on Laskin Road for good coffee and baked goods. Finding good restaurants in the area was a challenge, we had to drive at least 5 to 10 miles or more to all of the better restaurants. Following the restaurant reviews from trip advisor is your best bet. Don't waste your money on the valet parking, you are charged $5 a day for parking whether you park it yourself or have it valeted, plus valet is parked in the same area as self parking, across the street, with no added security. I would recommend this for a short stay, if you are willing to overlook a few things in order to enjoy the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad that you were able to see the quality of our staff and our Bistro dining selections. I apologize that we are unable to control the military jets. The parking is only a seasonal fee and the pool is cleaned daily. I hope this experience doesn't discourage you from visiting our hotel in the future. Have a great rest of the year!
Oak Hill, VA
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We went here last week for a long weekend. The free valet service was wonderful and the front desk staff was very friendly. Our rooms were dated with stained carpets and stains on the ceiling. I was willing to look past that, since our view was fabulous! However, when you pay almost $300 for a basic room (double queens), you expect that your sheets and towels will be nice. The towels were thin and scratchy, like the old ones that we have at home to dry off the dogs (sorry, but it's true). The sheets were cheap and ill-fitting, the corners kept coming off all night long, making it very hard to sleep soundly. The location was supurb, the beach access was easy and the outdoor pool was lovely. I just expected cleaner and nicer room ammenities for what we paid.

2 Thank DisneyPrincessAmy
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary valet service and loved our great views. I apologize that the linen was not to your liking. Your feedback is valuable to our success. Thank you again. Have a great rest of your summer!
massachusetts
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here for four nights in August in a 10th floor suite.

Pros:
Every room has an ocean view.
On the North part of Virginia Beach
Decent rooms.

Cons:
F-18 fly overs from 8 am to 11 pm every day...deafening.
Most of the front desk staff seemed poorly trained or didn't care.
Lobby and restaurant area are run down and look awful.
At check out they told me there was a computer problem and could not give me a receipt for my stay. It took three phone calls later to get them to email me a receipt.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. It is great that you enjoyed our views and the location of our hotel. I can't apologize enough for the opportunities that you experienced. The proper managers have been notified of your concerns. Unfortunately, we are unable to control when the military flies over the oceanfront. I hope you are able to visit Virginia Beach again and will stay with us again.
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We just left the Marriott and we had a great stay. Our room was upgraded upon arrival to a center ocean front room and the manager let me see the corner room that I reserved just to be sure I likes the new room. The staff was very helpful and nice. Breakfast buffet was great and the servers there were also just as nice. I actually picked this location based on the reviews of it being on the quiet side of the beach and it was. We were able to get a good spot on the beach right in front of the hotel. It is much quieter on the south side. Starbucks in the hotel is a great plus! The only thing that bothered me is that it appears that the cleaning staff only came in and made the beds. They didn't vacuum the floors so crumbs were left on the floor all night. Other than that, would consider it a great stay and will return.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your vacation and taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments about our location, breakfast buffet, and service. Next time you are in Virginia Beach, I hope you are able to stay with us again!
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My family and I just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and I wish I could have stayed longer! The suite is beautiful, spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and polite. The pool looked great but we didn't use it because we were on the beach all the time. The only things that I would change are: there shouldn't be a parking fee (even if it is only $5) because people are paying enough for a room; the dryers need to be updated only because they take a long time to dry a regular load of clothes; the front desk staff should know whether or not there is an urgent care clinic nearby....we had to take our son there to be seen and no one knew if there was a facility near by....thank goodness for cell phones ~ and finally I think the hotel should offer a special rate for beach chairs/umbrellas~ $40 a day for 2 chairs and an umbrella (until 5:00) is a bit steep. Other than that, I would recommend this location and I will surely return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We truly appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you and your family again soon!