“Found our hotel on beach.”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We vacationed at the Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North from Saturday 10/5 to Saturday 10/12. This is our 3rd vacation to VA Beach in October but the first at this hotel. Our DD and her family came with us for the first few days and we were to 4 more days, decided to extend an extra day. The majority of our trip was rain and wind soaked with thick fog (although the first 3 days were perfect fall beach weather). As such, we spent a great deal of time in the hotel (with a very active 3 year old). So having a hotel that was enjoyable was a major relief. We had the large one bedroom suite on the 9th floor (DD & Family had a lovely queen suite). We all loved it!!! Our room was on the corner of the hotel which goes from the front to the back of the hotel (ocean and dolphins at the back, street on the front, and ocean/pool/street views from the windows on the side). It has a separate king bedroom, large living/dining area, tvs in both rooms and more closets than my first apartment

Travelers always talk about “courteous, friendly staff”. The staff at this hotel was just what they were talking about. James, Josh and Danielle (and many other staff whose names I don’t have) were amazing! They were responsive, helpful, always had a friendly word and smile (and I saw some travelers during our stay that put that to the test). I can’t say enough about them. They gave us recommendations for restaurants, shopping, etc. and the recommendations were spot-on. If we had a question or a concern, it was addressed immediately. At one point, my husband couldn’t find his credit card—we knew it was in the room but not where. They sent someone up to help us look. We had a few tiny room issues and maintenance was there immediately. When we needed additional pillows—lightning—they were there. Housekeeping was friendly, responsive and called us by name in the halls. We love this place.

If you’re looking for newly installed, designer décor, fusion dining, a concierge behind every plant, and a housekeeping staff that comes in once a day to shampoo the carpet and scrub the tile--don’t stay here. But if you’re looking for a friendly, clean, comfortable hotel, right on the quiet side of the beach, with amazing views that turned our regular “frantic, beach hangout vacation” into a lovely “read-a-book, browse bookstores, and explore lovely little shop refuge”, book here immediately. We'll definitely be there next October.

Room Tip: Get a one bedroom suite. It's on the corner of the building and very roomy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank imdette
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm very excited to hear that we are your choice in hotels on the Virginia Beach oceanfront! We truly appreciate your comments on how great our staff, rooms, and service were during your stay with us. I hope you enjoy the rest of the year and come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is a nice hotel. Not too expensive but have all the required essentials. Pretty quite during the night for a traveler. Shuttle service is reasonable. It was a fairly relaxing stay. The staff were welcoming and helpful.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank C Z
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We travel to Virginia Beach for 2 days Oct 9-10-2013 staying at the Marriott Courtyard North Beach. We decided on this hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor of hotels located on the beach. The hotel was an excellent choice for us. First the room was very clean and spacious with a great view of the ocean and a nice balcony to enjoy. Second the entire staff provided excellent customer service and you could tell that they took great pride in making you feel special. The hotel was a great value for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dkmickelsen
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and reviewing our hotel. I am happy to hear that you loved our staff's service and our great ocean views! Enjoy the rest of the year!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Great oceanfront location, at north end of 'board'walk, beautiful views, close to lots of dining options. Small indoor pool was chilly but hot tub was awesome! FYI- Even in late Sept. elevators very slow & busy, stairs do not connect to lobby but lead directly out to parking lot. ** Still resolving problem from overzealous housekeeping staff. The card in the room states that only towels on the floor will be replaced. Unfortunately our maid service took all the towels, hanging on closet door, left on chair back, including the one with my swim suit wrapped in it to dry. I reported it missing as soon as I noticed & the desk tried to catch the housekeeping manager but got no answer. All the laundry is sent out to a central service location and even after speaking to 4 people over 3 days the suit was never found. On check out I was given a claim form & told, once processed, they will pay for a replacement. Since swim suit shopping is never fun I was hoping my fairly new suit would turn up. Haven't been able to find the same one, even online. It's been 10 days so now I'm waiting for the ok to look for a new suit.

Room Tip: Anything oceanfront. See note re; elevator/stairs when considering what floor to request.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cindy P, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

As per our conversation I apologize again for any miscommunication with regards to your swimsuit and am glad we were able to resolve that issue for you. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have been a loyal customer of this hotel for nearly 10 years- making 2-3 visits per year. I made my LAST visit in August thanks to a RUDE manager by the name of Chris and the fact that this hotel is becoming a 'dump'. Speaking of dump, I decided to bring to Chris' attention that there was defecation, yes defecation, all over the floor, toilet, walls, etc. of the women's pool bathroom. Chris' response was "OK". No apology, no "oh no", just... OK. So when I told him it was NOT ok, he kicked into angry manager mode and forgot I was the one paying $200 a night at the hotel, not him. What's even more pathetic is that he decided to act this way in front of his employee- sure, that's setting a great example for how to treat customers.

I tend to ignore things that are outside of someone's control, such as having to step over the used condoms at the beach entrance of the hotel that morning (with my child in tow by the way). However, checking and cleaning hotel bathrooms on a regular basis IS within the hotel's control and responding with empathy when a customer expresses concern over the horrific condition of the bathroom IS within the hotel's control.

Looking back on the experience, I should have just called the Virginia Beach Health Department. I think Courtyard should think about who they hire into management positions.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Penthouse21

I apologize that you had such an experience here at the Courtyard. I can assure you that all of our restrooms are cleaned on a regular schedule with even more frequency in our busy season. We obviously have an opportunity area here in which we need to excel. I have addressed all of your concerns with our staff here and I appreciate your constructive feedback. I cannot offer you any excuse for the bathroom being in such a state only a reassurance that the issue has been addressed and will not happen again.I hope this will not be your last visit to us since as you stated you've been enjoying our hotel several times every year for a decade now.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend. It was great! The rooms were clean. Maids cleaned the rooms early in the day, which is wonderful! View is absolutely amazing. It was a little difficult when there was a wedding, since the guests took up all the available parking spots. Hotel staff were helpful to park our car for us. It was strange when the outdoor pool had a "pool closed" sign out. People were still swimming in the pool though. When I asked the front desk about it, they simply said that it is because they do not have a lifeguard, so it is swim at your own risk. Not sure why they couldn't just say that on the sign... The only disappointment I had with the visit was when we decided to stop for a drink on our last night. My fiancee asked for a screwdriver and the "bartender" told us he wasn't really a bartender and had no idea what that was. They also didn't have many choices for alcohol. Oh well...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm glad you had a great stay and enjoyed our amenities and our housekeeping staff! Hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a nice hotel, I've stayed here before and I always enjoy it. The hotel is always clean, staff is very friendly and the Bistro in the lobby is a plus. This is one of my favorite hotels in VA Beach. Great place to stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelraymoss

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff truly appreciates your warm comments. We appreciate your loyalty and are excited to see you next time!