“Shakeela and Randy”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I would like to thank Again Shakella for going above and beyond on her service She brought me a specialty coffee from the starbucks in lobby while I was having Breakfast I was kidding when I asked her for it!! Next thing she had it in her hand!!! Also a Huge group of us go there every year for the Walk for Breath "Team Rick"...They even had a welcome sign for us! Randy The Gm is Awsome,,I look forward to this Trip ever year! Thank all of you for the Great Stay

Room Tip: They are all good I usually stay in the king Suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank suzikelly211

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Recently stays at this hotel for a conference I was attending. Was on the 8th floor. Just wanted to share some pros and cons.

Pros:
-Great views from my room. I appears as if most if not all of the rooms have ocean views.
-The staff were wonderful. They were friendly and helpful. Always pleasant. Kudos to them and the management for having such wonderful staff. No matter how nice a hotel is, if the staff are awful, it can ruin the stay.
-The lounge/bistro area in the lobby was a great place to meet with colleagues who were also at the conference. We could grab a drink easily without the hassle of some of the larger and busier hotels in the area.

Cons:
-I think the biggest con was probably the wear and tear the property is showing. The carpet in the elevators was stained. Additionally the carpet in my room was stained and there was a odd odor. I think a little freshening up is in order. New carpet, paint and fixtures would go along way in improving the appearance and impression of the hotel.

Since I was there in October (certainly not high season for the area) I did not use the pool. Nor can I comment on it's accessibility to other attractions. We did walk a fair amount along the beach but had to take a cab or shuttle for the conference or other activities in the area.

I am sure that in the summer the hotel gets used pretty hard by the beach going crowd and thus makes keeping the property kept up difficult. But I would advise Marriott to invest a little money and TLC into this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank sdak74
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review our hotel. I am excited to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and oceanfront views. Yes, each room has an oceanfront balcony for our guests to enjoy breath-taking views. I apologize that the room you were in was not to your liking. I assure you this is not a standard and the appropriate managers have been notified of your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you again next fall! Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Although we are local, we stayed this past Saturday while attending an affair at a nearby hotel. We were quickly greeted at the front desk and checked in. As we were in a hurry, we did not turn on the A/C or thoroughly inspect the room when we went in. When returning, I turned on the A/C for ventilation and it sounded like a motor with a bad bearing. I needed an electrical receptacle and when I moved the night stand to obtain access, I saw enough dust to give me an asthma attack, and I don't even have asthma! Since it was after midnite, I did not bother to see about changing rooms. Also, the carpets had stains and the curtains had some sort of red stain (not blood I hope). Maybe this is typical for a tourist oriented hotel. At least there was free Wi-Fi and the Front Desk clerk gave me some bonus Marriott points I think I am being kind to give an "Average" rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Irving F
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our front desk team and our complimentary wireless internet. I can't apologize enough about the opportunities you experienced. I assure you that this is not a common experience at our hotel. We are a tourist oriented property in the summer, however we do take our hotel cleanliness seriously. Thank you for giving us your feedback and the proper managers have been notified to proactively address these concerns. Have a great fall season!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I recently booked a block of 5 nights at this hotel; but left after the first. The staff was friendly....the hotel itself was 'nice' but not 'posh marriott' nice....kinda a tired version that was updated a little. The area was not what I anticipated....I guess being 'off' season for Virginia Beach didn't help.....but there are military planes that fly over about every 10-15 minutes and they make their presence known!!! You cant leave your balcony door open unless you like the sound of a military air show. My husband couldn't even hear me on my cell when they flew over unless I shut the door! This goes on until about 10 at night.

We opted to leave and I found incredible reservations at Wyndham Governors Green in Williamsburg. (look it up....its great!) Small gorgeous apt with a washer and dryer and kitchen that was fully stocked! Same price as my Marriott stay.!!

The Courtyard Marriott had a small kitchen area....but no pots...dishes....utensils?? I wondered if it was a joke??? Why bother advertising a suite that isn't stocked?

The kicker came when I hung my jacket and brand new Lauren sweater in the closet and forgot them!

Ive called the hotel twice....have been promised call-backs....the maid doesn't call me back....and now I figure she knows she has something a little nicer than the $20 tip I left!! (sad for her)

Anyhow.....Ive preferred Marriotts for some time and have travelled using none other....but this experience ended my relationship with this chain.

I know I screwed up leaving something in the room....but integrity is a MUST in business!!

Room Tip: Don't expect luxury. There are better Marriotts. If you want the beach....its there. Clean...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank T M
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoy our friendly staff. I'm disappointed that you had an unpleasant night with us. Unfortunately, we are unable to control the military jets. They fly over the entire oceanfront at times that they need to. All of our suites include a living room area, a microwave, a mini refrigerator, and a counter with a sink. We don't advertise our suites having any dishes or cutlery. I'm sorry that you were not aware of this. Regarding the jacket and sweater you left, please contact me directly at the hotel so we can recover the items for you. I wasn't notified of the lost items and I apologize we didn't get back to you about the items. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We vacationed at the Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North from Saturday 10/5 to Saturday 10/12. This is our 3rd vacation to VA Beach in October but the first at this hotel. Our DD and her family came with us for the first few days and we were to 4 more days, decided to extend an extra day. The majority of our trip was rain and wind soaked with thick fog (although the first 3 days were perfect fall beach weather). As such, we spent a great deal of time in the hotel (with a very active 3 year old). So having a hotel that was enjoyable was a major relief. We had the large one bedroom suite on the 9th floor (DD & Family had a lovely queen suite). We all loved it!!! Our room was on the corner of the hotel which goes from the front to the back of the hotel (ocean and dolphins at the back, street on the front, and ocean/pool/street views from the windows on the side). It has a separate king bedroom, large living/dining area, tvs in both rooms and more closets than my first apartment

Travelers always talk about “courteous, friendly staff”. The staff at this hotel was just what they were talking about. James, Josh and Danielle (and many other staff whose names I don’t have) were amazing! They were responsive, helpful, always had a friendly word and smile (and I saw some travelers during our stay that put that to the test). I can’t say enough about them. They gave us recommendations for restaurants, shopping, etc. and the recommendations were spot-on. If we had a question or a concern, it was addressed immediately. At one point, my husband couldn’t find his credit card—we knew it was in the room but not where. They sent someone up to help us look. We had a few tiny room issues and maintenance was there immediately. When we needed additional pillows—lightning—they were there. Housekeeping was friendly, responsive and called us by name in the halls. We love this place.

If you’re looking for newly installed, designer décor, fusion dining, a concierge behind every plant, and a housekeeping staff that comes in once a day to shampoo the carpet and scrub the tile--don’t stay here. But if you’re looking for a friendly, clean, comfortable hotel, right on the quiet side of the beach, with amazing views that turned our regular “frantic, beach hangout vacation” into a lovely “read-a-book, browse bookstores, and explore lovely little shop refuge”, book here immediately. We'll definitely be there next October.

Room Tip: Get a one bedroom suite. It's on the corner of the building and very roomy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank imdette

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm very excited to hear that we are your choice in hotels on the Virginia Beach oceanfront! We truly appreciate your comments on how great our staff, rooms, and service were during your stay with us. I hope you enjoy the rest of the year and come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is a nice hotel. Not too expensive but have all the required essentials. Pretty quite during the night for a traveler. Shuttle service is reasonable. It was a fairly relaxing stay. The staff were welcoming and helpful.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank C Z
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We travel to Virginia Beach for 2 days Oct 9-10-2013 staying at the Marriott Courtyard North Beach. We decided on this hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor of hotels located on the beach. The hotel was an excellent choice for us. First the room was very clean and spacious with a great view of the ocean and a nice balcony to enjoy. Second the entire staff provided excellent customer service and you could tell that they took great pride in making you feel special. The hotel was a great value for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dkmickelsen
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and reviewing our hotel. I am happy to hear that you loved our staff's service and our great ocean views! Enjoy the rest of the year!