“Nice staff, good view rooms”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, Canada
“Nice staff, good view rooms”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We ended up here after the Fairfield gave us a super lousy 1st floor room. We were tired and it was late. James was so accommodating. he got us a great view room and offered us complimentary breakfast since that is what we would have had at the Fairfield. the breakfast buffet was nice and we had amazing fresh eggs and waffles. James was again at the front desk in the morning and when I called for a late chack out he was again very accommodating. we had a great view from our 6th floor room and we got to sleep with the door open and listen to the waves all night. this location is a bit farther from the activity and als nearer the military base so you do hear a lot of loud planes if you have your windows open. it is very soundproof with the doors shut.

Room Tip: know that the loud noise is welcome sounds of waves and military jets
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KTDub2014
Alexis L, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for these wonderful comments. We love to see fresh faces at Courtyard North. I am happy to hear James was able to create a first rate experience for you in Virginia Beach. The 6th floor is the perfect location to get a great view of the entire boardwalk and oceanfront. If you ever need to get down the other end of the oceanfront the city provides an inexpensive trolley that rides up and down Atlantic Avenue seasonally. Thank you again for your kind words. Have a great summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Somerset
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was a awesome hotel and the staff was outstanding! Thanks to Mykeya Ihor and Dwenda! They were so helpful and always pleasant. They made our stay an extra bonus!

The hotel itself was clean and the view was breath taking! The food was great and they had a awesome breakfast and it was free which is very important because I have 4 teenagers.We were even provided a free dinner! Awesome!! I would recommend this place to everyone and would definitely go back and stay there again!

Room Tip: Every room would have been good!
Green Features: It was very clean in the eating area's the servers were always wiping down and to add, they were also very friendly and accommodating!
1 Thank Paula T
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great Place to Stay. Pool is wonderful for kids and adults - serve drinks for the Adults and chicken fingers and fries for the kids - Clean Hotel, nice front desk staff - want to mention the Valet because they were very professional and took care of my car! I had a brand new car and George James III made sure I was satisfied everyday - very convenient when raining. He gets ***** 5 Stars from my family!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Only 2 elevators - pick a low room - higher the longer the elevator ride
Green Features: Lots of options available to you as far as changing sheets everyday, getting new towels, etc.
1 Thank Katre P
MeredithBottenfield, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Katre P

Thanks you so much for reviewing our hotel! It's great that that you enjoyed the pool and The Rocks pool bar menu. We are lucky to have James and George on our team. We hope to see you again next time you visit Virginia Beach!

Thanks again,

KY, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We just took our first trip to Virginia Beach and after searching online decided upon this hotel. I am do glad we did. This hotel made our stay feel like home! The two room suite was perfect for a family of four. The kitchenette allowed us to have small meals in the room. The location on the boardwalk is perfect-close enough to walk to entertainment and dinner but far enough away from the more crowded areas and live bands. Some reviewers complained of stains on floors - what do you expect when people are running in and out with sand on their feet? I found the hotel very clean, and I am a germ a phobic! One reviewer said they did not want to stay across from exercise room. We did and never heard a sound. My family likes to sleep with fan noise, and the a/c units muffled any noises that may have interrupted our sleep. The housekeeping staff and the front desk staff were all super nice and accommodating, answering any questions and responding to any requests. The view from the balcony is awesome. The convenience of a "wash off" area just for hotel guests is appreciated. We would definitely pick this hotel again when in the area!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sherri P
MeredithBottenfield, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Sherri

Thanks so much for writing a review of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that your experience was positive! The suites are a perfect size for families. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Warm regards

New Castle, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is clean and modern. The rooms are a nice size and are right on the beach. The staff was pleasant. There is Starbucks coffee,a pool bar, and a buffet breakfast. I would stay here again. They also have an indoor and outdoor pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MeredithBottenfield, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
We appreciate you leaving a review of our hotel and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you choose to stay here then next time you visit Virginia Beach.

Thanks again

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here over the weekend recently for two nights. There are some things I liked about this hotel, and some things I think it could improve upon.

Things I liked:

The view!!! Nice balconies overlooking the beach. We saw many dolphins just from our balcony, not to mention beautiful sunrises.

The bellmen were super nice and very helpful. One note on parking - parking is 7.00/night but the hotel offers a valet service to help you find a parking spot easily.

Our room was clean and comfortable, and the hotel did have free wifi.

To improve:

Food service. Another hotel with crummy coffee. Not sure what is going on there. I tried the kind you can brew yourself in your room and the kind bought from their "bistro" and both were awful. They had a Sunday breakfast buffet - don't go with the scrambled eggs. Mine were cold. Go with the omelet maker; I wish I had done this.

The mattresses. The beds weren't super-uncomfortable but they weren't super comfortable either. They seemed to be overly cheap, especially given the high (albeit in-season) nightly rates we were paying.

Tiny nitpick: We asked the front desk for directions to nearby grocery stores and got incorrect directions. Not a big deal and there are some stores on nearby Laskin Road (a main road in and out of Virginia Beach).

Overall, if you are considering hotels in the northern section of Virginia Beach, having stayed at both, I'd go with the Holiday Inn next door. But if that's sold out (as it was for the weekend I was there), this hotel is an acceptable alternative.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay. The views are amazing and we enjoy seeing the dolphins every morning. I am glad the bellman were able to take great care of you. I'm sorry to hear that your food and beverage experience was subpar. I have reviewed your comments with our Kitchen manager to improve the temperature of the eggs. I have also reviewed your comments with our front office supervisory team because guests depend on us to give them correct directions every time. Again thank you so much for leaving a review and we hope to see you again in the future.

Warm Regards

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here September 2013 and the decline in this hotel 10 months later is astonishing! Upon our arrival I immediately noticed dirty entrance doors, stained and dirty carpet in the elevators and hallways. Having stayed here more then once before, I recalled a much higher level of maintenance. Upon entering our room on the 3rd floor we were greeted with very stained carpet, a sliding door that had to be lifted and slid by 2 people, dirty and wine stained balcony furniture, and a moldy shower curtain. Finding this unacceptable I returned to the front desk to be told there was only one other room available on the second floor. After checking out this room which was opposite the 24 hr gym facility and above the lobby, I returned to the front desk to beg for a different room. I was told the best they could do is put in a request for the following day to be moved to a higher floor in a room that was prioritized by housekeeping. Upon arriving back at the hotel after dinner I pulled out the sofa bed and was greeted by a disgusting black mold stained mattress. Remember this is a Marriott not a flea bag motel! I called the front desk and was told rollaway beds are offered on a first come first serve basis. If they had one they would send it up. It was 11PM. Miraculously a rollaway was brought up. It wasn't moldy we'll leave it at that. The following day by 2:30 I had been told I was moved to a room 2 doors down.
Originally being told I would be offered a higher floor I was moved again to the 6th floor. Still stained carpets sub par air conditioning that I asked for service to look at twice and a sliding door that slid but had no handle. Night 2: no extra pillows in the entire hotel and 2 requests for extra blankets denied. Overall this hotel is in dire need of renovation and a lot of elbow grease to clean things up. Worn is one thing dirty is lazy!
On another note I will say the young hotel staff remained polite and did their job as best they could with a property that is 2-3 years past when it should have been renovated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback as we are able to use this for future trainings with our staff. I certainly apologize for the stay that you had with us. It is not the level of service or product that you would have expected from our hotel. Again I sincerely apologize and if you are in the area again we hope you would give us another chance. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Warm regards