“Overall - a great family friendly hotel with great views of the beach”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Very satisfied with recent stay at hotel, chose this hotel specifically because of both the pool and beach option. The pool is good size with waterfalls and made a great alternative to being on the beach all day. Unlike other hotels where only 1/2 or 1/4 of the rooms face the beach - all rooms here face the beach and ocean. Rooms were clean and no major complaints, probably my main beef would be the hotel's system for cleaning rooms. Check in was at 4 pm, but no one was able to get a room before then because they do not prioritize cleaning departing guest room first! Despite poor reviews of the restaurant by one person, it's a Courtyard Marriott not a full scale Marriott, so what they have suits the hotel. To be honest, to access the better restaurants of Virginia Beach, you will need a car to drive 10 min. near the Cheesecake Factory where slew a great restaurants and bars are located within a few blocks.

Reviewed 3 September 2010

We've stayed at the EconoLodge for the past couple of years because of it's top 5 status in TripAdvisor and cheaper rates. This year, we are traveling with extended family and wanted a single suite with separate sleeping space for four adults.

At the time of booking, this was only about $20 a night higher, for a 2x queen bedroom, and a sleeper sofa in the living room. For that price, we essentially got the equivalent of two rooms of space at the EconoLodge.

You will definitely notice the quality difference. As a frequent business traveler, I would say this is above par for the typical Courtyard. The rooms are more modern. The downside is the balcony is narrow (window to rail) - just enough room to pass around a seated person. We had the larger suite, and had an open balcony from bedroom to living room. I noticed some smaller balconies for other rooms, and I would think they would be uncomfortably small. Also, the balconies jutted out from the wall, so you could see your neighbors if they were out. We prefer our privacy - also, when taking a photo of the beach, one neighbor just happened to walk into the scene of the shot. EconoLodge had a nice roomy balcony, not as wide as our suite, but probably wider than the others we've seen at Courtyard.

The staff were particularly friendly at this location (i.e. valet, cleaning staff, front desk, restaurant) - this is well above average for Courtyard, and likely better than most places along the boardwalk. EconoLodge staff were friendly.

The only thing to say about the buffet in the hotel was that it was convenient. It was not bad, just okay. If we knew of a better place nearby, would have went there. EconoLodge had complimentary cereal/toast/bagels/rolls - also just okay.

Outdoor swimming pool was @#$@ cold! Our kid was dazzled with the waterfalls and the mini slide. But, I would have hoped the pool would be heated to a more comfortable temp vs the shock upon entry. We debated if it was colder than the ocean - we settled that it was probably the same. Maybe they had a problem with heating it...don't know, since it was our first time there. EconoLodge kept theirs nice.

We were on the 11th floor. There was elevator wait time, but not abnormally so for a building this size. As the service staff used the same elevators, one could get caught at the wrong time waiting for a "milk-run" to complete. EconoLodge is three floors, no elevators - don't like lugging up our stuff to the third floor, second is tolerable.

We got lucky for parking and landed a spot in front of the hotel from day one. They provide carts for moving luggage and such, so if there is parking across the street, it is far from inconvenient to unload and park, especially with valet. Parking is less cramped and therefore easier for in and out than at the EconoLodge.

The major downside, or upside, depending on your desire, this is the quieter end of the boardwalk. That means you may have to walk a distance to go to some of the restaurants, convenience store, etc. EconoLodge had a convenience store kitty corner - great for a beer run. We liked the quieter beach at Courtyard.

We are still fans of the EconoLodge and favor slightly the Courtyard for the nicer rooms, and quieter beach.

1  Thank Frequent_Traveler063
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My family and I checked in at this hotel and we were quite pleased. The rooms were nice sized and clean. We had a terrific view of the ocean (I think all the rooms were oceanfront rooms, but I could be wrong... and of the course the location to the beach (right outside the hotel) was the best part. Although I would recommend this hotel, especially if you can get a good rate, there are a few caveats and "negative" experiences I had that I would like to share::

1) It is a little bit off from the shops/attrations on Atlatic Avenue. It's not a bad walk to get there just a few blocks (short) if you're fine with walking, but it's not exactly outside your hotel if you want to walk around and see the shops/attractions/eateries.

2) Other members of my family stayed at the other Courtyard location near 24th Street and it's a better location and the breakfast buffet had more selections. For example the Courtyard North where we stayed did not have a chef to prepare your eggs and the other hotel had. Nothing major nor would it prevent me from staying thereagain, but just an observation.

3) If you're looking for a quiter place, this is the hotel for you. The other Courtyard (South) had more younger kids and noisier. So actually, this is another plus for this hotel.

4) Housekeeping is slow and disappointing. Ours came in the afternoon when we were taking naps after a morning at the beach. I asked her to come earlier and they did. But I've had better housekeeping. They really did not clean the room thoroughly, they just made the bed which I could have done! I did not leave a tip for the housekeeper, although I usually do.

5) The valet parking option is disappointing. I am an Elite Marriott member and the Marriott staff are usually good. When I pulled in and there was no parking (that is how it is at all the hotels during the summer months), and looked at the valet and said "Do you want me to give you my keys?" and he replied "Oh, you want me to park your car? I'll park it if you want but you can park it yourself"

Now what kind of a service is that???? Why would I insenuate to him that I am handing to him my keys if I did not want him to park it? He lost out because I give good tips and his laziness was not only apparent but a tarnish on the Marriott hotels.

When I drove to the other hotel to see other members of my family, the valet there was very good and hard working. Look, I know it's a lousy job (that's why I try to give good tips), but at least pretend to want to help the guest!!! Hats off to the Courtyard South valet!

Maybe I was treated that way because I was a young person with my younger brothers -- but I am a professional with staff under me who are old enough to be my parents, and I can afford to pay $1000 a week for the hotel! And what I saw was not good!

6) And finally... as nice as it was to be on the beach and walk around, bring a car with you. Again the hotel is not exactly in the middle of everything, but over all it was a nice hotel, the staff were ok (I've seen friendlier ones for Marriotts) -- the cafe staff were actually the friendliest! The room was very nice (nicer than the Courtyard South in my opinon), they had free internet, and it was quiet.

I would stay there again and recommed the place, but if I'm with others who like to walk around at night, I might consider staying at another hotel or Marriott closer to the attractions, like the Courtyard South or the Residence Inn down the road.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

**Where do i start. We arrived a bit early at the hotel but still decided to check in w. the front desk to see if our room might be ready. Karen, i believe was her name if i recall correctly was the one who helped me out w. directions & during our stay. There were others that were just as helpful but i didn't catch their names on the tag but i remember Karen cause she was more than helpful at every step of our stay. She had our number on file so if the room was ready she was going to call us & as we decided to park the car & go to the pool, we walked back in the lobby & she let us know that our room was ready.
As we entered our room, the view was amazing. We had the oceanfront room w. a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. The room was spotless. So, we decided to head to the outdoor pool which was huge. The pictures online don't do justice. The bar area at the pool also has menu's for food. We just stayed in the pool for almost 2-3 hours. Lost track of time. Then we went out for dinner on the strip. They had mostly pizza joints or cafe's which me & my girlfriend weren't to big on but since it was late most of the places were closing or closed. We headed back to the hotel after a nice walk on the boardwalk.
The next day we went downstairs for breakfast which was WOW. The server was always attentive to keeping sure if we needed anything. After breakfast we headed to the beach which was literally about 15-20 steps from the hotel. From the beach we decided to come back to the pool so we were basically doing exactly what we went to VA beach for...RELAX. We stayed in the beach & the pool probably about 5-6 hours almost. Then we headed back to the room & relaxed in the jacuzzi. Later that night we went out for dinner to this Hibachi restaurant which was about 15 min. drive from the hotel.
The next day we had breakfast & again the server was just as attentive as the 1st one. We couldn't really go to the beach or pool as the weather was a bit windy. So we decided to pack up & hit the road.
I got to say from the time i stepped in the hotel till i left everything was PERFECT & FLAWLESS. The food was amazing & very reasonable pricing. The entire staff were attentive & helpful. I couldn't have had a perfect mini vacation other than this. This is definitely going to be our hotel everytime we are in VA beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Virginia Beach has two ocean front Marriott Courtyards and a Marriott Residence Inn and one other Marriott brand I can't remember.
This is the best Courtyard we have stayed in.
This is the northernmost of all. This is at the end of the 3 mile concrete boardwalk.
The hotel is very nice and the staff really extends themselves to provide full service.
They are as friendly and helpful as they can be.
We asked them to change the housekeeping schedule for us and they did!
The breakfast buffet is great.
The valet staff is very attentive.
All the rooms face the ocean with balconies.
The outdoor pool is very well designed.
The indoor pool is small, but immaculate.
The fitness center is very small but well equiped.
There is free wifi.
They do not offer any movies on demand.
The rooms have flat panel TVs.

Most of the Boardwalk action happens closer to the other Marriott Hotels, but that shouldn't stop you from choosing this hotel.

The only negative feedback is that we were stuck in a very hot elevator for 10 minutes and when we finally got out, the staff seemed to ignore us.

Reviewed 17 August 2010

Nick Rice, Front Office Manager, is very professional, pleasant, customer focused, and gives you a great feeling about staying at the Marriott Courtyard, Virginia Beach. Many people at other hotels could learn from Rick about customer satisfaction and going above and beyond the call of duty to make you have a positive experience dealing with the Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We've been going to Va Beach for 19 years and always stay at the same place on the other end of the beach. Wanted to try something new and I've stayed at many Marriotts...figured I couldn't go wrong. I was wrong. Very nice room, very spacious and welcoming. Love that all rooms face the ocean and have balconies. Outdoor pool is beautiful. Quiet end of the boardwalk.

Downsides: Not nearly enough seating at the outdoor pool. Get your seat at 9am or you won't get one. No outside food or beverage allowed at the pool. HUGE issue here, especially with kids. Though I'm sure Marriott makes huge profits here, $7 for a beer??? $10 for sandwiches??? Crazy....
Elevators...too few...too slow. Ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor and use the stairs. Good luck on checkout day when you HAVE to use the elevator and need an empty one. Took us 25 minutes. No inside stair access...odd for sure. Design flaw?? I would love to know the reason behind this.
No free continental breakfast? I've never been to a Marriott without this...never thought to ask since I've never encountered this. The $10.95 breakfast buffet leaves much to be desired.
Our maid was awful. She needs to find more suitable employment. Mumbled under her breath while changing out towels in our room. Never vacuumed until I asked her to.

Overall, okay place. Won't be staying here again, though. We'll go back to our old faithful, where we can drink and eat our own food at the oceanfront pool, always have seating, have a nice free breakfast, and plenty of elevators...and free poolside snacks and ice cream every day provided by the hotel!! Truly guest friendly. Take a lesson from your competition, Marriott.

1  Thank lovelylady3393