“Wonderful but just a little smoky”

Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
High View, West Virginia
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

My mom, sister and I traveled to Virginia Beach for a wedding and ended up staying here. The room sounded nice (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room), but it turned out to be really gross.

cons- right outs our door smelled like urine all the time. The bathroom is about as big as a closet and everything is at a weird angle. It was impossible to get ready in and really dirty. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a door between the bedroom and living room. We stayed multiple days and the maid came in to give us two new towels. They have a pool, but that also wasn't clean. The continental breakfast consists of a table in the lobby with like 5 items on it. There are no table or chairs to sit in. The elevator is cramped and slow. There will probably be a line, so take the stairs.

Pros - it's disgusting, but the location is good. All the rooms face the ocean and it's a short distance down to the pier. Also, it's right on the boardwalk.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sam P, Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Let me thank you for taking the time to address this matter to our hotel as every comment, good or bad is important. As hospitality professionals we try our best to resolve concerns and offer the best service possible. Having said, that I would like to extend a sincerely apology for your stay and the events described in your review. All of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned and deodorized between guests but in this case it would appear that we may not have achieved success. If you would like to call the hotel and speak to me directly I would like to further learn from your experience and invite you to visit us later this season and offer us a chance to redeem ourselves in your mind.

Regards,
Travelodge Suites Oceanfront, Virginia Beach
757 425-0650
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here Jan 25, 2014 and considering all the negative reviews I was hesitant but this is the cheapest oceanfront room you can get in Va Beach. I paid $47 plus tax. The front desk was friendly and they have brochures and take out menus which is very helpful.
The elevator is small but have no fear it does work or you can just use the stairs. The stairways were not smelly and dirty like other people said. The room appeared great at first glance. I didn't notice any problems until I investigated further. I appreciate the front desk telling me that it takes time to heat the room because it's an oceanfront room but the truth about that is that the doors to the outside oceanfront need to be replaced because they don't shut all the way tight.. There is no insulation to prevent cold air from coming into the room so you basically have to blast the heater at 85 or 90 degrees but thank god the heaters do work lol!
The tv's are flat screen but only 24' and the cable reception was not fuzzy as other people said. I liked the old school motor lodge layout I found a trick to keep the sleeping area warm which was to shut the door from the living room. The bathroom is indeed the smallest I've ever seen at an hotel/motel but the water was warm but the toilet did get clogged up easily but I was able to fix it. No worries there!
Not to be negative but the ice machines on the 2'nd and 6'th floor did not work but the fridge did indeed work but be careful to not leave bottles in there too long or they will freeze even though it seems like the fridge does not work but it does work indeed!
Here are the positives about this hotel. Location is perfect! The block, Peabody's is only a few blocks down and there is a 7-11 on 17'th and Pacific if u want some beer or drinks, snacks. Parking seemed ok even though I was on foot. Staff was very friendly and I even got a free Sunday Virginian Pilot when I check out Jan 26'th. The young lady at the front desk was very cool and nice. Lastly the view from the window was awesome but please be careful with that door so you don't get locked out on the balcony. Again those doors need to be replaced but just put something in between it to keep it open and your good to go. For what I paid I was happy. All good despite the things that do need to be fixed. Excellent value!

Room Tip: Get a corner suite on upper floors.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank vajoefisher
Sam P, General Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Let me thank you for taking the time to address this matter to our hotel as every comment, good or bad is important. As hospitality professionals we try our best to resolve concerns and offer the best service possible. Having said, that I would like to extend a thank you for your comment(s) and I am glad that you had such a great experience. I hope to see you on a future visit at Travelodge Suites Oceanfront in Virginia Beach.

Regards,
Travelodge Suites Oceanfront, Virginia Beach
757 425-0650
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This place is the most outdated, dirty looking, awful place I seen in a very long while. It should be demolished and rebuilt in my opinion. We blindly booked this place out of fatigue, thus not doing our homework. We just wanted a clean place to lay our head for a few hours, so we prepaid-booked online, and unfortunately we hadn't noticed it was nonrefundable. Our first indication of things to come was the tiny little parking lot. We were told we could only park one car in the lot, and our second car had to be parked three blocks away and we would have to walk back in the dark.. The manager relented in allowing us to park the second car in the lot when I showed distress at walking three blocks in the dark in a strange town alone. It was out of season and many of the normally lit buisiness' along the walk back were closed and darkened. On to the tiny little outdated elevator that had plenty of wear and tear on it. Next, the walkway which was worn leading to the horror that awaited us.... aka, our room. Stained carpet, stained soft furnishings, old heater/ac unit on the wall, repair patches visible on the walls from punctures, a solid metal door, old, dirty, rusty looking leading out to a two person stand up balcony. Tiniest bathroom I have ever seen anywhere. I estimate the sink in the bathroom to have been ten inches across and shaped in a triangle. I was afraid to set my luggage down, and refused to sit on anything in the room. The room had been vacuumed, bed made etc., but it had a creepy crawly aura about it. Well worn, well used. There were many thick layers of paint on the baseboards. Everything appeared to be worn and old. I felt my skin begin to crawl just looking around and decided I would rather lose the money paid over spending a night there, even though we were exhausted. We promptly left the room and advised the manager that we were not staying. He asked why, but upon seeing the look on my face apparently decided to not engage me in further conversation regarding why we would not be staying. The manager was nice enough.....but this hotel needs extensive refurbishing. I am not a snob, all I require is a clean, moderately modern room in which I feel comfortable sitting and sleeping in. This hotel did not meet those requirements for me.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Sam P, General Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7574250650.
TRAVELODGE SUITES