“Delivered on Expectations”

Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Delivered on Expectations”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I spent two nights at the Capes Hotel this weekend with two teenage boys. I did extensive research of all the hotel options that I could find on Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, and the VA Beach website, made spreadsheets and compared prices, and based on the reviews decided on Capes. I was very pleased; it met all my expectations.

The price was lower than nearby and comparable properties. It was right on the beach and had rooms overlooking the boardwalk and ocean, with a balcony. I expected a minifridge and found a full fridge with freezer, which was a plus. It's a reasonable walk or a short drive to the Harris Teeter at 38th and Arctic for coffee and food - be sure to pick up or bring silverware, plates, napkins, plastic bags, and soap dishes because these are not in the room. The soap and shampoo were inadequate to me so I picked that up at the store too so we'd be comfortable and have all we needed.

It's true that the balcony doors have no screens, which would be nice, but it wasn't a big problem; we went down to the beach more than hanging out in the room.

I plan meetings as part of my job, and get to stay in 4 star resorts, so my expectation of a clean and attractive room is pretty high. I was absolutely satisfied with how clean and comfortable the beds were. The towels were thin but adequate. The public areas were quite nice looking and also clean. The pool wasn't overwhelming but it was very cute and you could see the beach from the windows in the pool area. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

I would have liked a late checkout, which they couldn't accommodate, but they were nice about my inability to get my car packed and out by 11. I asked at the desk and they said I wouldn't get towed at 11, which happened to someone at some other hotel among all the reviews I read in my research. The area seemed safe and nice to walk around in, and while there was activity at night with the shops and street musicians, it wasn't blaring rock n roll like down by the Hilton. It was just perfect for me. The location was immediately off the end of 264 so quite easy to get in and out.

With the extra parking across the street, parking was no major problem.

The elevator was sometimes slow, but the stairs were right there so not a problem.

For the price, I felt this was a fantastic deal and I would definitely stay there again. My criteria were cleanliness, low price, free parking and wifi, suite accommodations so the boys could sleep in a separate room from me, balcony overlooking the ocean, location on the boardwalk, safe and secure location. All expectations were met very well. Things I didn't care about for this trip: fancy soaps and plush towels, room service, fitness center, stove/oven, beautiful hallways and common areas. Since I didn't care about these, the nice lobby and sitting area were a pleasant surprise.

The room layout (Room 301, on the north end of the third floor) was fantastic for us. You entered the room into a bedroom with two twin beds and a flat screen tv and dresser - I don't even remember if it had a window; the boys slept in there and kept it dark. You walk through a closeable doorway into the sink/mirror area where there was an alcove for hanging clothes and a shelf above where I kept the aloe, hairbrush, extra stuff that would have cluttered the bathroom. Under the hangers was a suitcase rack that I used to keep our beach blankets. Next to the "closet" alcove was the bathroom with toilet and bath/shower combo. Space was limited in there.

Past the sink/mirror was the fridge, kitchenette sink, cabinets (empty other than an ice bucket) and drawers (empty), and microwave.

Past that, with no additional door, was a larger room with another twin bed, two upholstered chairs, a table with four more dining chairs, a dresser and flat screen tv, wall of windows looking out at the beach and sliding glass door onto the balcony. The balcony had two chairs on it.

The AC unit was in this room and was blasting freezing air when we arrived, but I turned the air down to a reasonable level and forgot all about it. In some cheap hotels I find those units loud and either you freeze or suffocate; this didn't seem to be a problem here.

I would recommend this hotel to my parents, who are even pickier than me. I had very low expectations for a Virginia Beach hotel right on the beach, expected musty, dingy, sandy accommodations and found the Capes Hotel to be better than that for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: 301 was a great layout for two teens travelling with one adult; great view of the beach too.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank TravlinWithKidz
gmcapes, Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your stay at our hotel. We are always happy to hear about our guests' experiences and are glad you enjoyed both the value and the location of our property. I did want to clarify room 301 has three full size beds not twin beds as mentioned. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I have stayed at the Capes 2 times. Both times I have been very pleased. It is clean and the staff is very friendly. Convenient location. When I go to the beach area again I will stay at "The Capes".

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank lcp61
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is an older and old-fashioned, rather quaint, hotel that provides basic amenities and lodging for a price that is better than other hotels nearby. It is not a luxury hotel and there are no frills or special services, not even automatic doors to enter with your luggage. (Go get a cart upon arrival at front door.) You will receive large, clean rooms with a very basic kitchenette and great ocean view. The location is the best part; fantastic if you want to be in the middle of the action. Be aware that there are signs posted saying No Visitors. If you want people visiting you at the indoor pool or your room, do not stay here! I am not even sure they could enter the lobby to talk to you. Personally that gave me a slight feeling of being watched, but on the other hand you do feel safe. I had the feeling the police would be called at any provocation and indeed saw an officer a couple of times, but that is not indicative of any unsafeness at all. We were comfortable with our older teen kids going up and down the elevator and in and out on their own, even at night. This is a good hotel for families. Teens can go out to nearby shops, food, and boardwalk and small kids will like the large rooms to play and the small pool. The first floor common rooms are quite attractive, the hotel rooms simple but functional. If you can get parking on the premises you will love it; otherwise you have to make your way to a nearby street lot that is very crowded but an attendant will help you. No fitness center or room service; just coffee in the living room next to lobby. Cafe is cute and nice view of ocean there. ***Bring everything for kitchen; cups, utensils, food, coffee, dishes or paper products--all you will get is a large frig, small microwave, coffeemaker, sink and small counter. There is one extra plug above the frig plug and it is not easy to reach, at least in our room. I brought coffee supplies but forgot cups so had to go buy a mug! There is ice and a laundry room in the building; check the old-fashioned board by reception for all the locations of any amenities. We loved having two rooms with a door in-between; kids slept great in their own room and we used the bed in the "living room." Nice not to have a pull-out but real bed even if not the most comfy in the world! Quite sufficient for a vacation when you aren't in the room that much anyhow Housekeeping very good.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms appear to share a large patio which would be good for families together or kids. An...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MAGPie907
Speedway, Indiana
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We love this place. This was the third year in a row that we have stayed at the capes. This is the first time we encountered some problems with our stay. The people next to us where very loud. The hotel needs to have something done with the doors slamming. Install soft closing doors. The rooms are great. They are a little outdated but not bad. I love having a little kitchenette in the room. We bring everything we need for the week. The resturant is great, small is good. Food is excellent. We will always come back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JackieGiese
Decatur, Indiana
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I would stay here again. Ocean views are always great. Hotel was clean and up to date. Location is great. Restaurant very small, but food really good and prices and servers were great. I feel it was a good value for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynette S
Sauble Beach, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Ocean front facility in great central location. Easy walk to pretty much everything. Rooms are nicely furnished, clean and well kept. Sliding doors to large balcony and fantastic views of beach, ocean, military and commercial ships etc. Restaurant on premises is small but food is good and reasonably priced. What gives the Capes a real "leg up" though is the amazing personal service. This is one of the very few family owned resorts left on the beach. You will be pleasantly surprised at what a difference this makes. This year was I think about my 10th stay at the Capes and and I will be returning here again next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or suite. Balcony views to the side and around to Atlantic Ave great for peopl...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank RickBuckoe
Big Bend, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We were not impressed. The rooms were small and outdated. We had to clean crud off the bathroom wall, door and the balcony rail. We were told if we wanted clean washcloths we had to bring our dirty ones down to the lobby! There are coffee pots in the rooms but no coffee. They expect you to bring your own. There was supposed to be coffee in the lobby but we didn't see any. They suggested you buy it from the attached "restaurant". We had to spend a night here because they said we had to speak with the manager and he wasn't available until the next morning. After sitting in the lobby waiting to speak to the manager the next morning, we were finally told we would get a refund for the rest of the week. The manager never did come to speak to us. The Capes calls itself a Resort Hotel. It is far from it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank angjsims
, Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. I sincerely apologize, if the service provided by our housekeeping department was not up to your expectations. Complimentary coffee is available every day till 11am in our hospitality room, also available upon request at other hours. I apologize if you received misleading information regarding our room size. Our largest room sleeps six persons and was not designed to accommodate the number of people traveling in your party. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from The Capes Hotel.