“In the Middle of the Boardwalk”
Review of Capes Hotel

Capes Hotel
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is not a chain so the staff was a bit more personable. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The room was great and right in the middle of the Boardwalk, convenient to everything. You can go right out to the beach or sit on your terrace and people watch. The only negative I can think of is that the towels were very small and flimsy. We enjoyed our stay, the price was right and we'd consider a return trip!

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach so in terms of view, they were all good. We were on the 3rd floor and it w...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen F

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at Capes Hotel for 2 days from 8/16-8/18. We arrived in The Capes before check-in time and the front desk agent advised she would give us a call as soon as the room was available. She called a short time later which was very nice. At check-in I was provided hotel info (wi-fi, parking pass, etc), area info, and coupons. We had room 605 which was a very nice double room which was very clean and included a microwave and mini-fridge. The bathroom was small and basic, but fine. I loved the beautiful oceanfront view and the balcony. The hotel location is perfect and near lots of shops, restaurants, bicycle rentals, and attractions. I found the hotel staff very friendly and hospitable from the front desk to housekeeping staff. I would definitely stay at this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Skyeblu79
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect. Rearview is the ocean. Front view are shops and entertainment. The hotel is nice and clean. The elevators and stairwell sre clean. The indoor pool is in a great location. The rooms are clean and staff are friendly. I like the fact that the hotel is small, not overwhelming with a lot of people.

• Stayed: August 2014
gmcapes, Guest Relations Manager at Capes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Wynette, I agree, our hotel is in a great central location on the Virginia Beach Boardwalk, which has us close to restaurants and other attractions for everyone to enjoy. Thank you for sharing your review and for being our guest. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and the hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

There was nothing bad, per se, about the Capes when we stayed in June. It's just lackluster and tired, like they stopped trying to be nice in the 1980s.

The lady at the desk was rude, though. She acted like our wanting to know info about the area was seriously inconveniencing her.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of The Capes Hotel. I apologize if you felt that our service did meet your expectations during your stay with us. Our staff is trained to help out every guest and make sure that we meet every guest expectation while they are vacationing with us. I'm sorry that you felt we stopped trying years ago, this could not be further from the truth. All our staff takes great pride in their work. We hope that you give us another opportunity to "WOW" you on your next trip to the beach.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were extremely pleased with our vacation experience at The Capes Hotel. The hotel is a small, family oriented hotel. The room was clean, beds very comfortable, and you can't beat that oceanfront view! The housekeeping staff was friendly and very efficient, going out of their way to make sure our stay was pleasant. Security is visible, and someone staffs the front desk 24/7. Kids loved the pool and restaurant on location is very convenient. We will definitely be staying at The Capes again!!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront, but we enjoyed not being right over top of the outdoor dining area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy C

Dear Nancy, thank you for your kind remarks about The Capes Hotel. We were so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a great location and a great staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at this property to combine my grandsons 2nd birthday party and a little mini get away. The location was just perfect. It is pretty much in the middle section of the boardwalk. Of course the beach is right across the boardwalk, but it was close to bike rentals , shopping and restaurants.

The staff was extremely nice. I arrived a few hours before check in and they gave me my parking pass so I could leave my car and I went and enjoyed the beach until my room was ready. It was only a matter of 2 hours. I like that it is a family owned hotel and not a big chain. The room was quite nice and clean. It had a frig, microwave, coffee maker and little counter and cabinet area.

There is an indoor pool and little bar/restaurant that I did not take advantage of, but it looked like it was quite popular. The only minor inconvenience I found was the ice maker was on the second floor, I was on the fourth but that would never change my mind about my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank slashba

Thank you Slashba from Warrington, Pennsylvania for writing a great review about The Capes Hotel. We are very happy that you and your grandson had such a nice time with us in June. We’re glad you enjoyed all facets of our hotel, including the close proximity to the beach. Thank you for mentioning our staff who work tirelessly to ensure every guest feels valued and respected. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

OK, So I arrive w/ my family after traveling and they don't have my reservation (after getting confirmation). I get a larger room (at $300 a night) that sleeps 6. I usually pack my own shampoo and conditioner but forgot it this time and was surprised to see that there was only 1 small bottle of shampoo in the bathrrom of the room that sleeps 6. I call down to the front desk and ask for more shampoo, along with a plastic spoon and am told that housekeeping has gone home but "I'll see what I can do". After waiting a while, I went down to the front desk and observed the clerk fumbling through what appeared to be some kind of junk drawer behind the desk. She eventually comes out with what appeared to be very old, used botlles of various shampoos and conditioners, most only half full. She also provideed unwrapped random plastic utensils from the same drawer, The shampoos were so old they had a thick layer of something at the bottom...YUK!! I get the creeps just thinking about it. There were BUGS in the room. I was afraid they were bedbugs but after doing some research was very happy to find that they weren't...however, VERY GROSS to have any sort of bugs in the room. After returning home from this creepy stay, I realized that I had left the chargers of 2 IPads in the room and have called repeatedly to see if they were recovered and nobody will call me back.

IF YOU WANT THE CREEPS, STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank gina o

Gina, Thank you for the detailed review as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. I am very sorry to hear about your recent disappointment in our hotel. Please know that I am investigating every comment which led to your less than pleasant stay. I have reviewed our log and read the notes concerning you trying to make a reservation online through Expedia and your request for the charger which was left in the room, to be picked up by your friend. According to our notes your charger was picked up a few days after your departure. I did not see any requests for extra shampoo or any comments regarding bugs in your room. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your issues with you especially your claims that no one would call you back about your charger and the bugs you found in your room. Please give me a call so I can personally discuss your experiences with you. Our entire staff takes these comments very seriously and do not wish for any guest to return home with a negative feeling.