“An Honest Review”

Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Michigan
“An Honest Review”
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Pros:
Central Boardwalk Location
Cheap Rates - This was cheapest hotel I could find with multiple room units.
Friendly Staff - Everyone seemed nice, however they could be a little quicker at check in.
Ocean View - Just as good as any view you will get in Virginia Beach.

Cons:
Swimming Pool - Its too small and dreary to even be considered an option. Especially with the ocean a stones throw away.
Parking - One vehicle per room, However you can pay $10 a night for an extra spot. I read other reviews about not being able to find a spot but I did not have any problems.

Thoughts:
If your looking for a fun vacation on the beach for a cheap price. I would definately consider The Capes. If your looking for an upscale luxurious stay then keep looking. Overall we had a great stay at the capes but I would be lieing if I didn't mention that most of our vacation in Virginia Beach was away from the hotel. After all, you can sleep and watch tv at home.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
NC
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Excellent hotel, excellent value. Stayed in September had 5 rooms of family with me and everyroom was oceanfront and clean and quiet. The central location coujld not be beat. We stayed four night and never had one problem. The rooms are serviced everyday by a very friendly housekeeper who really seemed to enjoy cleaning. The desk staff was helpful in providing directions as well as dinner suggestions. I would definately reccommend this hotel to my family as well as friends. I have already set up my reesrvations for 8 rooms this year.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 February 2009

this is a pretty good hotel. its a small one, but that's kind of a plus. that just means there's less people! me and my family stayed here for a week in September and it was great. me, my fiancee, and my parents all shared one room and we only paid round $600 a couple which i didn't find too bad really. the room was kinda small with 4 adults though but hey, what do you expect. the only thing that kind of sucked was that the weather was cold and really windy that week and basically all there was to do in the hotel was swim. and that really wasn't the best because the pool isn't heated =( but that was the only downfall! the people there are all very nice and helped us with anything we needed! the only reason we might not go back this year is because we found this hotel called the dolphin inn, and their rooms are much cheaper.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
ohio
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Since this was my first visit to Virginia Beach and I wanted to stay on the Boardwalk, I researched hotels for at least a couple of days. In the process of this research I came across, "Trip Advisor". This is a wonderful site. My goal was to find a resonably priced and clean hotel. I finally chose the Capes and glad that I did. I am sorry that some reviews on this site pasted a dim view of this hotel but we had a wonderful 4 day stay.

I am somewhat of a "clean freak" and found the room very clean, bed very comfortable, enough linens, and the front desk staff very helpful, etc. The rooms have a small kitchen area for storage space, a microwave, and refrigerator. Very nice and came in handy. Our room had a balcony. It was great to sit back in the morning and late evening and watch "all the happenings" on the boardwalk.

Notes about this hotel:

Yes, this hotel has only one elevator but for us this was not a problem. We never had to wait long for the elevator but then we were on the third floor so most of the time we chose to walk the steps.

We do like our coffee in the morning but this hotel does not have coffee pots in the room. You need to go to the front desk area to obtain coffee. The hotel rooms provide coffee carafes to which you may fill and take to your room but personally the coffeee they made was too weak for my taste so we did not drink their coffee.

The inside pool was not one of my choosing. Though it was clean, it is very small. I guess as this is a small hotel on the boardwalk, there is no need for a huge pool. Not something for me but the ocean is right outside, we had wonderful weather so there was no need to use the hotel pool.

There is limited parking to this hotel but I found that many other hotels on the boardwalk had limited parking. It seems that there are just enough parking spots as there are hotel rooms (which I believe is 59 rooms to this hotel). We didn't have a problem with parking; most of the things you do are within walking distance anyway. We did leave the area one day but found no problem when returning that evening.

Will we return to this hotel on our next viist to Virginia Beach? Most definitely.

• Liked — Met my needs. It was a wonderful stay
  • Disliked — Probably the inside pool
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I had mixed feelings after reading some of the reviews for this hotel but it actually turned out to be a nice stay. I traveled to VA Beach in late August for a weekend with a friend. I booked the room over the phone and was informed that one night's stay would be charged at the time of booking. We checked in promptly at 3pm and made our way to our 7th floor room which turned out to be nice and above all - CLEAN. This hotel only has about 50 rooms so there was not a lot of traffic and the hallways were always quiet during my stay. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS
Oceanfront balcony with chairs and small table
Excellent view of the ocean
Non-smoking hotel throughout
Adequate parking
Good location
Cafe on-site
Clean
Easy check-in
On-site security (I always noticed the officer walking the premises or sitting in the lobby in the evening)

CONS
There is only one elevator
Pool is small
Cafe closes early
No feasible breakfast or continental breakfast service - Only coffee when it's available
Beds need to be replaced

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Capes. Especially the oceanfront view from the balcony. I would recommend this hotel for lodging.

• Liked — Oceanfront balcony/view
  • Disliked — Old Bed
Wake Forest, NC
Reviewed 25 August 2008

We stayed here for a weekend get away. Rooms was clean and quiet. The location was great. Best part of all was that this hotel is 100% Smoke Free. For those of us who hate cigarette smoke, and those rooms that smell like them...This is the place to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — One elevator
NC
Reviewed 24 August 2008

“Lousy reception desk and service”... Bed mattress probably 20 years old. Towels thin and paper towel could do a better job, when asked for extra key, person on duty refused. All of the above, could happened anywhere in this industry. The real problem I am having with this hotel is the unethical way that their mgt try to force you authorized the whole payment from the beginning and using it against you latter. In my case I was booked for two nights. When we first checked in the room AC was not working and we have to wait for serveral hrs before move to another room. The next day when we return to the room right after lunch we found our lugages all over the bed and floor. Thought we had the sign "Privacy Please" inserted in the key hole - damaged some of our goods. We confronted with the front desk manager about our privacy sign - the response was I am the mgr and I can go in your room as I wish.....there were words exchange during this time. Make it short, we were not very happy with the situation So, we decided to check out the same day and asked them how they will settle the bill. The same mgr told us that they will not charge us for any night stay. Three day later, when I cheched my account - sure is - there was a charge from this hotel for the full amount meaning 2 nights stay although we only stayed for one night and they told us not to charge us. We called them back - and the response was - You signed and authorized for us to charge you.... If you see this message - please advice your friends and family members so that they don't get in this situation

• Disliked — Mgt attitudes and business ethical 101
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family