“good location..hotel was just OK”
Review of Capes Hotel

Capes Hotel
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“good location..hotel was just OK”
Reviewed 12 September 2005

Our room was nice and clean, the view was great, the location is wonderful...BUT, don't expect much for your money..they give you a coffee pot..but NO coffee or filters! nice little kitchen area..but NO utensils. We asked a housekeeper if they offered a complimentary packet of coffee..but she didn't understand English i think. I probably would stay there again, i'll just bring my own coffe/filters and kitchen utensils..you would think for the money they might give you a bit more. Parking is very very tight..we didn't care for that at all..One elevator with no a/c in it. the pool is indoor and very small. By the looks of it...all the hotels had indoor pools. A plus was that the room was very very quiet..you didn't hear any outside noise..no walking above you or out in the halls..the bathrooms are extremely small..very small..i'm not a big person and i had a hard time getting in there. I don't see how a large person would fit in there..I would love for my parents to come with us next year..but no way would my dad fit in the bathroom. Like I said..i liked the location, you are right in the middle of the boardwalk and its fun to sit on the balcony and people watch in the evenings.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 6 September 2005

For the price and location, the Capes was tolerable. I was misled on the phone with the reservations desk about the two-room, shared bathroom set up. I was told the bathroom connected to two rooms, when in fact, it was completely in the oceanfront room. There were three beds in total. Two beds crammed in a front TINY room, and the single bed in the huge ocean front room. This is not an ideal set up for multiple families or couples. There wasn't a proper door separating the rooms. It was two broken shutters that didn't close. NO PRIVACY. The a/c set off the fire alarm the first nite of our stay and filled the room with smoke. IT WAS ON FAN ONLY. The bathroom was not clean and the toilet smelled upon first arrival. amenities and toiletries were non-existent. The shower head fell apart and water pressure was very low.
Front desk attendents were relatively friendly. Lobby was nice and clean. The indoor pool was not much more than a kiddy pool...and was not appealing.

But it was safe and the location was great. I was just disappointed with the set up of the room. I did have to buy my own coffee/filters. It has a kitchen but no dishes. Most beach motels give you a very small assortment of dishes. NO frills. I wouldn't say I'd never stay there again, but I hope to find something better next time. I really enjoyed VA Beach and plan to go back next year.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank b0nniec
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2005

We stayed at the Capes for four nights/five days. I was afraid of what I may find when I arrived at the hotel based on some of the reviews. We arrived early (Noon) and the front desk was friendly and said the room was being cleaned and they would try to have us in by 1:30. The lobby was clean and the pool was small, but also clean. We waited in the sitting area and they had us in our room by 1:00. The room was on the 5th floor and very clean. The bathroom was small, but not a big deal. The kitchen area was larger then expected with lots of cabinets a nice size refrig. and microwave (not oven). Two dbl beds a dresser and a small table and two chairs. Great ocean view and a balcony with two chairs and a small table. The problem with the hotel is the location. You are in the middle of all the "action" and unless you are 21, it is not the type of action I want to be around on vacation. The beach is crowded. You are right near a public parking lot which draws a lot of people to that beach on day trips. There is a public shower for washing off after a day at the beach. People would take real showers and some even undress...Then use the hotel grounds grass to lay down and take naps. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation. The hotel has a security guard at night, but they do not seem to mind people on the grass during the day. This hotel is not the only place people are laying around - All hotels on the beach in and around the Capes have the same thing going on. But, overall, the hotel was clean - It is outside that the town needs to work on.

• Stayed August 2005