Capes Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$227
Country Inn
The Founders Inn and Spa(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$134
Hotels.com
US$255
US$229
GardenInn.com
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$190
  • Beachfront
Oceanaire Resort Hotel(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$195
US$190
  • Pool
Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront Virginia Beach(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$156
ComfortInn
Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$144
Best Western Plus Virginia Beach(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$105
US$235
US$221
Ocean Beach Club(Virginia Beach)
US$130
US$123
  • Pool
All reviewshidden pearlcoffee makerindoor pooltwo room suiteevery staff membersink areaclean hotelsmall fridgeparking passan older hoteldefinitely stay here againview of the oceanlacesbalconyboardwalkelevatorhousekeeping
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Capes Resort. I have to say if your looking for a nice place to stay with a reasonable price you should go here. They keep the place really clean and the staff is really friendly. They also have a small restaurant here, which is great. Our food was very good and the young guy that waited on us was very friendly and humorous. The location is great to, right on the ocean front. I don't think we could have found a nicer place to stay. When we return to VA Beach we will be staying here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The Capes is an OK hotel. It's on par with the other Va Beach oceanfront hotels that have there for the past 10 years or more. The room was clean. The bathroom was very small. The bed was fine. We were placed on the second floor which was fine, easy access to the stairs since there is only one slow elevator. There was a nice wooden deck that is SHARED with 4 other rooms. The location is between 20th and 21st street. This is a very busy area of the resort area. If you plan on driving anywhere to or from the hotel expect to wait in traffic for at least 40 minutes to go 10 blocks. Walking is the only way to get around when staying at this hotel. Also, be prepared to park in one of the two lots that are across the street behind other buildings. Each time we tried to park we ended up across the street in a very suspicious looking area. The front desk clerk said the lots were guarded 24 hours a day, but be cautious and put any and all items in the trunk. Good luck trying to sleep at the Capes. The sound of doors slamming and people walking around in the rooms above you are enough to drive you crazy.

Va Beach in general was a very dirty and crowded beach. I was surprised to see trash on the beach and in the water many times during our 2 night stay. I was truly disappointed in the cleanliness of the beach. My wife and went there 11 years ago and I don't remember it being as bad as it is now. I'm sorry to say this will be our last trip to Va Beach.

I do have a couple of suggestions to anyone going to Va Beach. -Stay on the North or South end of the beach. The central part is way too crowded. Try to walk everywhere, sitting in traffic on Atlantic Ave is not that much fun. -Stay in a higher quality resort such as one of the Marriott owned hotels, or the Hilton. You'll pay more, but you'll know what you’re getting for your money. -The Black Angus is an excellent steakhouse. Their steaks are comparable to Morton's or Ruth's Chris without the $120 price. Captain George's Seafood Buffett is always a good choice. You get a nice selection of seafood at a reasonable price. -Stay at a hotel with an outdoor pool. There are some hotels with indoor pools and some with outdoor pools. The Capes has a small indoor pool. When you see the crowd and the dirty sand and water of the beach you'll wish your hotel had an outdoor pool. -If you go on Mapquest to get a time estimate for your trip go ahead and add an hour or two to the driving time. Roads in the Tidewater area get very congested. There are places on I-64 West that have 5 lanes of traffic narrow down to 2 lanes. Get ready to sit for awhile.

Overall, the Capes resort and Va Beach were a little disappointing. It's very old, crowded, and small. Do yourself a favor and stay at one of the newer hotels. You'll have a much better chance of having a good time.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ERat
Reviewed 2 August 2009

My wife and I decided to take our vacation to Virginia Beach for 4 days. We checked several hotels and found The Capes as one of the more reasonable priced hotels in the area. We decided to make it a road trip to VA from Indiana. We arrived late Saturday afternoon for check in. The 2 gentlemen (Herb and Jeramey) who assisted us with check in was very nice and helpful throughout the 4 day stay. They had recommended several things to do and restaurants to eat at and was always cordial as we entered and left the building.
We had a good view of the beach and I feel it was the perfect location and centrally located with plenty of attractions out side of the hotel. The biggest downfall of the hotel was that it did not have wireless internet service from my room. I had to go down to the lobby area to connect to my laptop.
If you are looking for a nice basic reasonable priced hotel I would definitely recommend The Capes and I would book this hotel again the next time I visit Virginia Beach

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Capes. It is in perfect location as far as entertainment, the beach etc. The rooms are "basic" and no frills. They could use a little updating. However, when I am on vacation I am only in the room to shower and sleep! So, to me and my family it was just fine. I wasn't too pleased that at upon check in, I was told I would have to pay for the entire stay right then and there. I had never heard of this policy before and that is my only complaint. The lady at the front desk was almost offended when I told her I would not pay until I at least saw the room first. Other than that, the rest of the staff was wonderful. In particular, Ginger was very sweet to me and my children and offered any advice that she could give us. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I had stayed at the Capes a few years ago by myself. I had tried to book their 2 room unit two years ago but there were none available for the days I wanted. I booked a three night stay in a 2 room unit. The thing that I liked best was instead of a pull out sofa, there was an actual bed. The bedroom had two double beds, tv and chair. Your basic standard room. It had doors to close it off from the rest of the unit. The bathroom was small but the sink was on the outside which always helps. There was a nice size fridge and freezer, not one of those mini ones. A small counter area and cabinets for storage. They also have full size coffee makers but only provide coffee on request and it is the 4 cup size. There was a microwave as well. The other room had a dresser, tv, a table and 4 chairs, two other chairs and a third double bed. The balcony was off this room. It had two chairs and a little table.

It is an older property with only one elevator but we didn't have any problems. The indoor pool was nice. Had some sand in it, but most do. They also had a small cafe'. We tried it for breakfast the last day to save time to get out and on the road. It was ok, Nothing fancy and it doesn't open till 8:30. We were there about 8:10. By the time we would of walked somewhere else, it would of been 8:30 anyway so we just walked the board walk for a bit. They also have bike rentals available which was a plus. Everyone seemed very nice, accomodating and helpful. Our room was cleaned up every morning, fresh towels. We didn't notice at first we were short on wash cloths the first morning. The maid came and brought us some and apologized, they were still warm from being in the dryer.

We found it to be a very nice set up for our family of 4. Our kids were content sharing the bedroom. And we had plenty of room in the second room to sleep and just relax if we were in the room. It was nice to have a bed instead of a pull out sofa sleeper. We have visited VA beach several times as a family, as a couple and myself with other family for events. My family and I all think that the Capes has one of the nicest setups for families.
They had their space, we had ours and we all had an actual bed. It will probably be the hotel we stay at as a family when possible. It met all of our needs.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family