“Needs Cleaning & Repairs”

Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas
Ranked #61 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Recently stayed at Boardwalk Villas for a week by renting from an owner. We were very surprised what a poor job they do with cleaning the units, pool and common areas. We could barely open the slider out to the balcony. We let the front desk know and they sent up someone from maintenance but he was unable to fix it at all. The slider needs to be replaced. It is so old that it barely moves. I could not go out on the balcony unless my husband was there to pull & yank it open for me. The maintenance man said they are all like that, and that elderly people aren't even able to use their balconies. I find that awful. Let's talk about the uncleanliness of this place. The first night we removed a clipped finger nail and hair from the bed. The hairdryer was so gross I had to wash it before I could use it. The bathroom sink had mold growing in the holes that don't allow water to overflow. The floor of the balcony had so many stains and gross spills you didn't want to walk on it without shoes on. And the unit itself truly needed a good scrubbing! The "trash" room at the end of the hall had a nasty liquid spilled in the room for 2 1/2 days straight. We had to ask 4 times over the course of 2 1/2 days for it to be cleaned up so that we could throw away our trash without stepping into this disgusting mess. I just don't understand how the cleaning/maintenance people didn't know about it, and why we had to ask so many times to finally have it cleaned up. We ate at their restaurant Rock Fish, but were definitely disappointed. Our food took 35 minutes to get (week night/not busy), and the fries each of the 4 of us got were barely warm and very hard, like they had sat under a warmer light for a long time. The best part of this Hotel is the location and Precious at the front desk, who was always helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dwak75
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

I am Nicole, the General Manager at this Resort. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience with our resort. We are consistently motivating our staff in order to better serve our guests and I will take every measure to make sure that our staff knows that every day is their day in the spotlight with the guests. We have used your feedback as a training opportunity for our staff to better our resort. The balcony doors are made to withstand strong winds so they are a bit heavy for a reason. They should not be so hard to open but can become so over time with the salt air; when this happens we can adjust the door to open more easily. I hope that you will stay with us again so we will have an opportunity to make this up to you.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here a 2 nights with my Mom who is an owner. Front desk staff very rude and flippant. Not focused on making your stay enjoyable. They need to hire additional cleaning staff. Hot tub and pool deck need to be closed and DEEP-cleaned. Even the restaurant tables need to be clean. Powerwash the entire outside. Steam the carpets and clean the balcony floors. DO not purchase a timeshare here. Housekeeper Benae was wonderful. Concierge was nice. Nice location near fishing pier. We always buy an annual membership to the Science museum and take the kids during rainy days. We did the 90 minute evening dolphin tour. My mom is legally blind in one eye and has a medical prescription to have her dog, but Boardwalk Front desk manager kept her waiting for a meeting, then said she was busy after tacking on a $250 cleaning fee for a 10 pound dog that assists my mother.
Trust me the dog was not the problem and did not cause the peeling paint on the balcony. :I own with Marriott and Starwood, stick with the best. Do not pay to stay at the Boardwalk. Maybe okay for a business trip. But keep in mind the business center is located down the street at BeachQuarters Resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nursetia
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

I am Nicole, the General Manager at this hotel. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience with your stay. We are very sorry that you found some areas of the property unclean.
I am surprised to see your comment regarding carpet as it was just installed this spring. Additionally, we have pool tech on staff that maintains the upkeep of the pool/spa area. It could be the fact that the tiles are always wet in the pool area due to high usage and the dark grey color may have the appearance of not being clean, but I assure you we do clean these areas several times a day.
Regarding the dog I would like to clarify the circumstances. Boardwalk Resort does not allow pets, this is written on the registration card that is signed at check in. We do however comply with ADA laws and we certainly allow service animals. The only situation in which we charged a pet fee in the last 6 months this was the situation:
1. Manager saw a dog in a pet stroller which was attempting to be concealed by placing a towel over it. We were able to identify the room that this guest was registered to.
2. Manager called this unit and asked if they had a dog, to which an emphatic "No" was the reply
3. Engineer heard dog barking in room a few minutes later, he saw not only there was a dog, but it was being allowed to use a floor pad to relive itself.
4. After calling guest again, she stated that her grandson brought the dog and she was unaware of this, and she asked what the fee was. We informed guest that the fee to have the room cleaned for allergens was $250 (same as smoking in room) at that the dog needed to be removed immediately and could not remain for rest of stay.
As you can see, at no point in time was the dog referred to as a service animal and all attempts were made to deny having the dog, which would not be necessary for a service dog. Additionally, service animals must be potty trained and use the outdoors to relieve themselves.

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with 4teens over July 4 holiday. Hotel staff couldn't keep up with increased visitors- windows filthy with greasy handprints. Our balcony was constantly riddled with a puddle of water from the a.c. Unit. Smell of garbage in garage and hall on our floor. Average stay

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Annamad

As the General Manager of this hotel, I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. Our success is dependent on the feedback we get from loyal customers like you. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience with housekeeping. We assure you that this is not the norm at our property, even when we are at full capacity, and we will make every effort to ensure this does not happen again. We do have staff cleaning public areas daily but you are correct that it can be difficult to keep up with especially the back doors to the beach area that get new handprints every few minutes! I hope that you will stay with us again so we will have an opportunity to make this up to you!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed in a 2BR for 4 nights and enjoyed it. The room had an oceanfront view and balcony which is great. Our room came with a fully equipped kitchen, full refrigerator with freezer, dishwasher, stove/oven, large microwave, 3 TV's, DVD players, dining room table and sofa. The hotel has an indoor pool, Jacuzzi, fitness room, and indoor garage. The room comes with 1 free parking space and free internet access. The Wifi worked fine and there were plenty of channels available to watch. The hotel is not huge (only 10 floors) which is nice since there are only 2 elevators. The hotel has a restaurant Rockfish but it doesn't open for breakfast so I think a lot of guests use the full kitchen to cook breakfast in the room which you can smell the bacon in the halls everyday. The Jacuzzi is a little small (maximum capacity of only 6) but the hotel wasn't too crowded so I did not have to wait to use the Jacuzzi or swimming pool. The hospitality service was okay but not as good as other hotel chains which offer complimentary coffee and breakfast. The first night was fine which they provided shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, and coffee. After the first night, they just made the beds and provided fresh towels but did not provide any additional shampoo bottles or coffee packets in the room like most other hotels do. Next year, I may try another hotel and book 2 adjoining rooms which offers complimentary breakfast and other amenities for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank TravelerfromMtKisco
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how your trip was a pleasant one! I will be sure to share this review with all of our team members to show them how appreciated they are. I agree our property has a great location with even better views!
We apologize if you didn't receive additional supplies when your room was cleaned, we do typically restock those when your unit is cleaned. We would love to you to come back and see us again! Keep in mind, most hotels do not have full kitchens in their rooms; so while you may be able to find a hotel for the same/similar price, you would sacrifice the ability to cook meals on your own for a free breakfast (which is usually frozen food warmed up and very limited in offerings). Thank you again for your kind comments!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This was a nice hotel with good in-room amenities. Ours included a sitting area, separate bed and bathroom, kitchen and kitchen seating. It included everything needed to make meals before we walked out to the beach. Shopping and restaurants galore on this street with nice nightlife. Trolley outside can take you locallu, including the aquarium. The staff pitches their timeshares, but they are not high pressure. Overall, a clean, decent place for an affordable price located right on the ocean.

Room Tip: "Next to elevators" on your reservation will probably mean you have a partial ocean view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SP518

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our resort! My staff and I are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Service and cleanliness are what we take pride in, and a great location right near the pier and all the "action" is part of why our resort can't be beat! Thank you again for your wonderful comments!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Pros:

- Good location with lots of shops and restaurants nearby.
- Nice size suite with large shower/sink area and separate toilet room
- Room/kitchen/bathroom were clean upon check-in
- Very convenient free parking garage with access directly to your room floor
- Great oceanfront view from room with floor to ceiling windows.

Cons:
- Front desk staff has no clue about hotel amenities and/or answers to basic questions. (I called ahead to find out if shampoo/conditioner was provided in rooms and the girl who answered had no idea. Same thing w/ a question about if the hotel has cribs for infants.)

- Housekeeping skipped our room even though we were supposed to get a cleaning. When I called to notify them, they told me that our room would be cleaned the following day. When it was "cleaned", it was only the beds made and trash taken out. New trash bags were not left and I had to track someone down to get new bags. I don't know if this is normal protocol or not for the cleaning since it's a condo-style property, however.

- Kitchen cookware and appliances need updating.

- Bed pillows were beyond lumpy and hard.

- Only one small packet of coffee given and no coffee shop within a close walk! (This was very difficult for a caffeine junky like me!!!)

***Overall - if you get a good rate in-season and need a suite with a kitchen, this property will prob be fine and suit your needs. Just bring your own pillows and coffee!!***

Room Tip: Oceanfront view is worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank rachelmle

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! We are happy to see that you enjoyed the location, views and cleanliness! I am very sorry that you felt the front desk was not knowledgeable about our Resort. Guest Service is our number one priority, we train our staff extensively upon hiring and we train them that "if you don't know, find out!" Additionally, I am very sorry that you did not receive housekeeping services during your stay. If you have a "Do not Disturb" sign on your door, that is the only reason I can think of that they would not have cleaned your room unless you were staying as a week long timeshare guest.
We are happy to replenish your coffee as a daily rental guest, so please just let us know! We updated our living rooms and bedrooms this year and our kitchens and bathrooms will be updated next! Please come visit us again soon!
Best,

Reviewed 23 May 2013

The oceanfront location at Atlantic & 16th streets. The rooms are well designed and the furnishings kept in good shape. Staff is friendly and helpful. This section of the beach does not seem to be as crowded as the area further north. If you enjoy amusement park rides, the hotel is just one block away from the rides. Also a block away from the 15th Street pier.

Room Tip: The end unit 1 bedroom rooms (e.g., 708, 908, etc. have a balcony off the bedroom that overlooks bot...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gene K

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel! My staff and I are so thrilled that we could exceed your expectations! I agree our location can't be beat! We would love to have you back with us the next time you visit the Virginia Beach area! Thank you again for your wonderful comments!