“Great beachfront location~Clean, well-maintained, friendly staff~Nice oceanfront accommodations!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas

and 1 more site!
Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Unit Features: Unit 506 is an oceanfront one bedroom that accommodates up to six. I believe it would be okay for six if it was a family unit with children that could sleep in the bedroom with Mom and Dad. For some privacy, it would be better suited for four. However, with the one bath being open to the bedroom, this makes it difficult for two couples that may want privacy. A simple fix would have been a door separating the bedroom from the sinks and shower. The toilet is separate, which has a door on either side for privacy and access. The unit has a full kitchen and had everything needed. The counter tops, cabinets and flooring are all extremely basic and cheap looking. I was staying in a newly renovated unit. The furnishings and carpeting, as well as wall paper, fixtures and decorative features were nice and attractive. I loved the wrap around sofa that could comfortably accommodate four for seating and there was a nice overstuffed chair. The dining area had three chairs and booth seating for three with a large glass topped table. There would be plenty of room for socializing, playing games and watching TV in the unit for up to six. There was a combination shower/Jacuzzi tub with a sink and vanity area. The bedroom had a queen size bed, two closets, chest of drawers and a couple of night stands. There is a sleep sofa in the bedroom that would accommodate two. There are nice large flat screen TVs in both the living area and bedroom. There was no hair dryer in the unit. A private oceanfront balcony will accommodate up to two with a small table and two chairs. The living area has a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling window with curtains and a shade. Upon sunrise, both the living area and bedroom are full of light. The shades on the windows, even closed, allow light in. The curtains do not go past the shade. WIFI was free in the unit and lobby. It worked well.

Condition of Unit and Property: Both the unit and the property are in beautiful condition and well-maintained. The ocean-side landscaping is very attractive and clean.

Any problems encountered such as check-in problems, room changes, etc.: No problems were encountered during my brief stay (3 nights).

Planned Resort Activities such as welcome parties, barbecues, kid programs, and outings: There were some activities posted. Some activities were at other Gold Key properties at the oceanfront. I did not attend any activities during my stay.

Resort Amenities: The resort has a great fitness room, indoor pool, hot tub and on-site restaurant (Rockfish) with indoor and outdoor dining. Parking is available on-site for one vehicle only. The resort does not offer any additional paid parking. The closest overnight parking garage is a at 9th Street.

Staff Friendliness and Responsiveness: All staff members encountered during my stay were very helpful and friendly.

Convenience to Area Attractions: This resort is centrally located on the boardwalk at 16th Street. It is within walking distance of music stages, fishing pier, restaurants, beach shopping and attractions. There is a small amusement area nearby. The location is great. The Boardwalk is a hub of activity.

Additional fees assessed: There were no additional fees charged. Cleaning, tidying or towel exchange was a separate charge. No charge for laundry use.

Suitability of Resort for couples, families, relaxing, partying, etc.: This would be a great resort for any group. It's proximity allows for many activities for any age group looking for various diversions. It was great for just relaxing, riding my bike, and enjoying the beach. September is a great time of year to be in Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: Not all units are oceanfront. Units ending in 01-07 are oceanfront.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Egret1986061
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel! My staff and I are so thrilled that we could exceed your expectations! Service and cleanliness are what we take pride in, and the fact that we have a great location and fully appointed suites with full kitchens doesn't hurt either! I have shared with our staff that you were very happy with their service and they were delighted. The set-up of the shower area is an open floor plan with the bedroom; however, we do offer privacy curtains upon request for our guests who want that area closed off.
Additionally, we do offer hair dryers in the units (some have it on the wall and other units have a larger hair dryer in the vanity drawer). If you did not have one, it may have been removed by a previous guest and we neglected to replace it prior to your check-in. We apologize for that and look forward to your next visit with us! Thank you again for your wonderful comments!

-Nicole Webster, Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Hotel was very nice, we were in the renovated 4th floor one bedroom suite. Staff was very friendly and quick to respond to any needs. Very convenient to the beach, restaurants, and shops. Only hangup would be if you came in 2 vehicles because you are allowed only one parking space. But I think this applies to many of the hotels.

Room Tip: Not sure of the value, we traded for our timeshare, so not sure what the cost would be. We were on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margaret m
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how your trip was an enjoyable one! I will be sure to share this review with all of our team members to show them how appreciated they are. I agree our property has a great location with even better views!
We are challenged on limited parking, however, you are correct that at the oceanfront most hotels and resorts either charge for parking (which of course we do not) or have limited parking. Thanks again for your comments! We hope to see you again very soon!
Mansfield, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Recently stayed for a week as a timeshare exchange through Interval International. Had a great experience. At first I wasn't sure, since when we arrived to our 2 BR/2BA villa, there was water all over the floor. We called the front desk and immediately 2 workers arrived. They immediately found the problem to be a leaking gasket on the dishwasher, they replaced and we were good to go. PJ, one of the workers, was wonderful. The villa was very clean, beautiful ocean front view. No complaints about the room whatsoever. The patio off the master bedroom was a little in need of a fresh coat of paint would be my only complaint. Also didn't like seeing an ashtray on the patio since it is a non smoking property, that was odd. YUCKO
As for location, it is literally in the middle of EVERYTHING, for this reason it is good, but also bad. There is some "rif-raf" that hang out on the boardwalk right in front of the hotel, I am thinking the Dairy Queen attracts them, mostly teens with skateboards or whatever. They seemed to showup around dinner time and stayed late. There was some foul language and antics, that I did go to the front desk to ask about what kind of power they had over that, to which, I was told since it was city property, there was nothing the hotel could do about it, and was given the non emergency Police phone #. Not the best answer to what is supposed to be a family resort. Another thing was the fighter jets. Miles of coastline with sandy beaches and high rise hotels, and it seems that the Boardwalk is in the direct flightpath of the fighter jets coming straight overhead. At first, really COOL, but after a little bit, got annoying. Wasn't all day just morning and evening when they would go out and come back in. Just LOUD
My kids only used the pool once, but did say it was very "sandy" on the floor of the pool, which I can imagine is tough to keep up with seeing that the resort is right on the beach. But, they were a little grossed out by it.
Concierge was lovely, no pressure whatsoever as far as trying to sell us timeshare. We were offered an "informational" meeting, but I told them quickly that we were not interested. We were never asked again after that. Didn't like the cost of housekeeping, of which we did not pay for. Only one towel change the whole week. Not a big deal, but part of being on vacation is not having to make your beds and tidy up...that was not provided to us as an exchange guest.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 2BR villas are located on the corners of the buildings. They are lockout units.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how our hotel and team members helped make your trip a pleasant one! I will be sure to share this review with all of our team members to show them how appreciated they are. We are happy to have such a great resort in the middle of all the "action" for our guests to enjoy!
We do have security on site throughout the day and night, so please don't hesitate to contact us if you experience noise issues from other guests. It is true that we cannot control the outside noise from Atlantic Avenue or the Boardwalk; however, we will be happy to call the police on your behalf if you ever have this issue in the future. The jets are all from the nearby military presence, we are happy to have them protecting us here at the beach! I agree it is loud, but it does give us peace of mind! Please come visit us again soon!
-Nicole Webster, Resort Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I had a great experience at this hotel. I was there with my husband, sister-in-law and 2 kids. We got a complimentary upgrade to a ocean view room and it was a very comfortable suite with a queen bed and 2 pull out queen sofas with a full kitchen. The location is fantastic as well. I would definitely stay here again. Two things I would say that could be improved is housekeeping and also providing a sponge to clean dishes and a handsoap in the bathroom.

Varsha

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
My name is Nicole Webster and I am the Resort Manager. I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Boardwalk Resort and Villas.! My staff and I are so thrilled that we could exceed your expectations! Service and cleanliness are what we take pride in, and the fact that we have a great location and fully appointed suites with full kitchens doesn't hurt either! We look forward to your next visit!
Manassas Park, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My fiancee and I decided to head out on an impromptu weekend beach trip. Since the trip was last minute, this was really the only hotel we could find. The rooms itself was nice and spacious, and even though we had a "city view" the corner window in the bedroom actually had a pretty good ocean view. Overall, we really enjoyed the size of the rooms and the location of the hotel - right on the boardwalk and easy access to pretty much anywhere you wanted to go -- we hardly moved our car from the garage the whole weekend.

That being said, the real problem with this place is the housekeeping. When I first walked in the room just felt dirty. Further inspection resulted in finding stains on the bed-sheets and EVERY towel that was in the bathroom. We called housekeeping and they brought up all new towels and sheets...unfortunately each towel that we received had a giant stain on them except for one and the new sheets had an even bigger stain than the original one we received! Luckily we had a bunch of beach towels for the stay and ended up using those as sheets and after our showers. Additionally, one day the housekeeper did not show up at all even when the Do Not Disturb sign was not up -- we had to call down the next day because by 2PM they had not shown up after we returned from the beach.

Finally, the hotel guest services called our room every morning at 8-9AM to try and convince us to take a tour of the hotel and discuss timeshare options. We politely declined the first day, but the calls continued every morning of our stay.

Even with all of that we had a good time - just wish the hotel would focus more on the cleanliness of the hotel. If we ever went back to VA beach, we would probably look to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank John K
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
I am Nicole, the General Manager at this hotel. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience with our Resort. We are working with our off site laundry facility at this time to resolve an issue that we had with the folding equipment leaving marks on the sheets and towels. We apologize that you had to call for stayover service as well. In season our houskeeping team is cleaning up to 5pm daily, so it is not abnormal that the room was not cleaned prior to 2pm. However, we are more than happy to accomodate any of our guests if they request a certain time for cleaning. I hope that you will stay with us again so we will have an opportunity to make this up to you.
Nicole Webster, GM
Brookfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Recently stayed at Boardwalk Villas for a week by renting from an owner. We were very surprised what a poor job they do with cleaning the units, pool and common areas. We could barely open the slider out to the balcony. We let the front desk know and they sent up someone from maintenance but he was unable to fix it at all. The slider needs to be replaced. It is so old that it barely moves. I could not go out on the balcony unless my husband was there to pull & yank it open for me. The maintenance man said they are all like that, and that elderly people aren't even able to use their balconies. I find that awful. Let's talk about the uncleanliness of this place. The first night we removed a clipped finger nail and hair from the bed. The hairdryer was so gross I had to wash it before I could use it. The bathroom sink had mold growing in the holes that don't allow water to overflow. The floor of the balcony had so many stains and gross spills you didn't want to walk on it without shoes on. And the unit itself truly needed a good scrubbing! The "trash" room at the end of the hall had a nasty liquid spilled in the room for 2 1/2 days straight. We had to ask 4 times over the course of 2 1/2 days for it to be cleaned up so that we could throw away our trash without stepping into this disgusting mess. I just don't understand how the cleaning/maintenance people didn't know about it, and why we had to ask so many times to finally have it cleaned up. We ate at their restaurant Rock Fish, but were definitely disappointed. Our food took 35 minutes to get (week night/not busy), and the fries each of the 4 of us got were barely warm and very hard, like they had sat under a warmer light for a long time. The best part of this Hotel is the location and Precious at the front desk, who was always helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dwak75
I am Nicole, the General Manager at this Resort. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience with our resort. We are consistently motivating our staff in order to better serve our guests and I will take every measure to make sure that our staff knows that every day is their day in the spotlight with the guests. We have used your feedback as a training opportunity for our staff to better our resort. The balcony doors are made to withstand strong winds so they are a bit heavy for a reason. They should not be so hard to open but can become so over time with the salt air; when this happens we can adjust the door to open more easily. I hope that you will stay with us again so we will have an opportunity to make this up to you.
Nicole Webster, GM
Midlothian, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here a 2 nights with my Mom who is an owner. Front desk staff very rude and flippant. Not focused on making your stay enjoyable. They need to hire additional cleaning staff. Hot tub and pool deck need to be closed and DEEP-cleaned. Even the restaurant tables need to be clean. Powerwash the entire outside. Steam the carpets and clean the balcony floors. DO not purchase a timeshare here. Housekeeper Benae was wonderful. Concierge was nice. Nice location near fishing pier. We always buy an annual membership to the Science museum and take the kids during rainy days. We did the 90 minute evening dolphin tour. My mom is legally blind in one eye and has a medical prescription to have her dog, but Boardwalk Front desk manager kept her waiting for a meeting, then said she was busy after tacking on a $250 cleaning fee for a 10 pound dog that assists my mother.
Trust me the dog was not the problem and did not cause the peeling paint on the balcony. :I own with Marriott and Starwood, stick with the best. Do not pay to stay at the Boardwalk. Maybe okay for a business trip. But keep in mind the business center is located down the street at BeachQuarters Resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nursetia
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
I am Nicole, the General Manager at this hotel. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience with your stay. We are very sorry that you found some areas of the property unclean.
I am surprised to see your comment regarding carpet as it was just installed this spring. Additionally, we have pool tech on staff that maintains the upkeep of the pool/spa area. It could be the fact that the tiles are always wet in the pool area due to high usage and the dark grey color may have the appearance of not being clean, but I assure you we do clean these areas several times a day.
Regarding the dog I would like to clarify the circumstances. Boardwalk Resort does not allow pets, this is written on the registration card that is signed at check in. We do however comply with ADA laws and we certainly allow service animals. The only situation in which we charged a pet fee in the last 6 months this was the situation:
1. Manager saw a dog in a pet stroller which was attempting to be concealed by placing a towel over it. We were able to identify the room that this guest was registered to.
2. Manager called this unit and asked if they had a dog, to which an emphatic "No" was the reply
3. Engineer heard dog barking in room a few minutes later, he saw not only there was a dog, but it was being allowed to use a floor pad to relive itself.
4. After calling guest again, she stated that her grandson brought the dog and she was unaware of this, and she asked what the fee was. We informed guest that the fee to have the room cleaned for allergens was $250 (same as smoking in room) at that the dog needed to be removed immediately and could not remain for rest of stay.
As you can see, at no point in time was the dog referred to as a service animal and all attempts were made to deny having the dog, which would not be necessary for a service dog. Additionally, service animals must be potty trained and use the outdoors to relieve themselves.