“Great Stay for a Great price”

Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas
Ranked #63 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Stay for a Great price”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have never reviewed a hotel before but after the mixed reviews and my experience I wanted to share our visit. I was a little nervous after reading some reviews as we had to book something last minute for a dance competition. We showed up and the outside definitely needs a facelift but once we walked in everything was fantastic. We were greeted by Dee who is truly amazing and helpful. We were very early so we headed over to Rockfish for a bite ( I wouldn't recommend it but it shouldn't reflect on the hotel). We were given our room 2 hours early. It was a 1Bdr with sleeper , oceanview. Very clean, very comfortable beds and pull outs. I did read the reviews and knew the patio door locks behind you and the lip going out is large and we still locked ourselves our and we still banged our feet but we knew ahead of time so no big deal. The people are great that work there again HUGE shout out to Dee who was helpful every day she was there. It is literally in the center of everything, daily concerts and shows to one side and the pier on the other. CONS that need to be shared- parking is truly one car only but the parking garage is only a few blocks away its safe and 10 a day. Housekeeping came day one we declined but never again, I think you need to order it but but we didn't want it and they gave us extras when needed but would like to have been given the option of having cleaning/towels etc daily. Annoyances - we wished the balcony was off the living area as opposed to bedroom and that theshower had a door not open in the bedroom. Honestly we had 6 people and were comfortable and had a blast there !!!

2 Thank Leftbeaver
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Leftbeaver,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how our hotel and team members helped make your trip a pleasant one! I will be sure to share this review with Dee. We are happy to have such a great staff and spacious suites right in the middle of the boardwalk for our guests to enjoy!
Additionally, I should clarify how housekeeping services work at our Resort since we have different guest types, owner/exchange (always 7 night stay) and nightly hotel guest. If you are a nightly hotel rental guest you receive daily housekeeping services (unless you have a "Do not Disturb" sign on your door), week long timeshare owners receive a once a week towel exchange.
Thank you again for your review! Please come visit us again soon!
Best,
Nicole Webster, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Ocean City, Md
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I'd stay someplace else if returning to VB. Room service never showed one night and the place needs a facelift. No outdoor pool! Location is great and some of the staff were quite friendly but that's the only positive comments I have. The hallways quite often smelled of ethnic food cooking, except for when someone dumped fish carcasses in the trash chute....then we wished we could smell the ethnic food again. Not the hotels fault on that as they sent a letter to each room explaining. The could have better ventilation for the stoves though. I'd go someplace else unless your getting a super deal and on a budget.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David S
Dear David S.,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your feedback. Being a resort, we offer full kitchens in all our suites which is why you may have smelled some different types of foods walking down the hallway.
We were also very upset by the guest who decided that fish carcasses were something that should be disposed of in the resort's community trash chute. We did our best to eliminate that and put the letter out as you referenced to try to prevent that from occurring again.
We realize that everyone has a different opinion of design and aesthetics, but our resort living and bedrooms had a full upgrade last year and our kitchens and bathrooms are due for complete renovation in 2015. We hope that you will give Boardwalk another opportunity to wow you in the future!
Indiana
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed for a week in a 2 BR/2 BA unit (#401) that I used a timeshare exchange for. The resort is in a great location - right in the heart of the boardwalk area and overall I was very pleased with it - it was clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. I never heard any noise from neighbors, not even footsteps overhead. The air conditioning units were kind of on the noisy side, though.

The unit is designed to be divided into two separate units - a one bedroom/one bath unit with full kitchen, dining and living area and a smaller studio unit with a kitchenette and bath. There is an outer door that leads to a short entryway to both units We usually kept the outer door locked and the door to the one bedroom side propped open.

It was well-supplied with nice flat-screen TVs & DVD players in both bedrooms and living room, and all the necessary small appliances - hair dryers, toaster, iron & ironing board and coffee makers. The kitchen supplies were also adequate, with service only for four in the 1 BR side, but additional dishes in the studio side. My one complaint is that there was no decent frying pan or griddle - the closest thing was a 10-inch saute pan.

Overall, the unit is comfortable and roomy enough for four people, but I wouldn't try to cram six in there unless you are on very good terms with each other. The layout of the rooms makes the feng shui kind of funky. Some examples: The toilet in the 1-BR side is an in separate room, but the sink and shower are open to the bedroom which means the occupants of the bedroom would have to clear out if the person sleeping on the pull-out sofa in the living room wants to take a shower. The 1-BR side has a balcony overlooking the boardwalk that is accessible ONLY from the bedroom, but the studio side overlooks the parking garage and has no balcony. The only towel bar anywhere near the tub & sink is located inside the shower stall - the main towel bar is located over the toilet in a separate room.

The kitchen is a galley style and made for only one person at a time. If you have the dishwasher open, you can't open the refrigerator, and the trash can is located awkwardly inside a cabinet.

Overall, I was very happy with our stay here - the grounds are lovely and the beach is just steps away.

3 Thank DuckyMama12
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel! My staff and I are so thrilled that we could exceed your expectations! Service and cleanliness are what we take pride in, and the fact that we have a great location and fully appointed suites with full kitchens doesn't hurt either! Thank you for giving travelers such a detailed review of what they can expect in our two bedroom units. The set-up of the shower area is an open floor plan with the bedroom; however, we do offer privacy curtains upon request for our guests who want that area closed off. We would love to have you back with us the next time you visit the Virginia Beach area! Thank you again for your wonderful comments!

Ohio
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My family and I experienced two different room types due to the 2BR being booked for the beginning of the stay. Yes, we moved our belongings to another room after our vacation started but it was worth it!
The first night in a 1BR/ 1BA OCEANFRONT suite filled our needs fine but we were cramped and falling over one another. The bedroom had a bed and a sleeper sofa to accommodate four in the room. The living room had a large sectional that also pulled out to sleep two. The 1BR suite does sleep six but is a tight fit when the family is up at once.
The rest of our stay was in a 2BR/ 2BA OCEANFRONT suite that was JUST RIGHT! The main part of the suite (A- OCEANFRONT) has the living area and 1 BR/ 1BA. The second part (B- OCEAN VIEW) was the additional bedroom and bath. There was a kitchenette in this room too, nice for grandparents or children. Both area's were connected by a foyer area that is handy for storing strollers, beach items or luggage.
All the rooms had the same linens, decorations, and bedding type. The bath towels were plush and absorbent- nice quality. The beds and pullouts were comfortable and the pillows were okay. I thought the appliances were nicer in the 2BR than in the 1BR. The only drawl back in the 2BR was we couldn't fully open the oven door because it hit the freezer door handle.
Room service came daily to make sure we had everything we needed. The closet in the main room housed a broom and sweeper if you need to take care of anything on your own. There was a point in time when house keeping was gone for the day and we were unable to exchange towels.
The location is great! Great place to watch dolphins! The ancillary staff was always nice and polite. The pool and hot tub are indoor and well maintained. It is a family resort but they do not have high chairs available for personal use in the rooms. We encountered one small problem during our stay and when I asked the front desk I felt like I was getting the run around. I eventually called the GM and her answer was the same as the employee's but she was able to assist me in a resolution. Everything at the resort is nice and I would return again...

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suites are worth the extra money if you have a large party traveling with you!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how your trip was an enjoyable one! I will be sure to share this review with all of our team members to show them how appreciated they are. I agree our property has a great location with well-appointed suites and spectacular ocean views!
I believe the issue you mentioned was parking. We are challenged on limited parking, however, at the oceanfront most hotels and resorts either charge for parking (which of course we do not) or have limited parking . Thanks again for your comments! We hope to see you again very soon!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family for 3 nights and I was so excited to stay here, well my excitement went right out the window when I walk into the room and it wasn't as clean as I thought it would be. I wiped down everything myself with antibacterial wipes I brought. Remotes and area around the remotes were dusty , the floors had dirt and hairs on them and there were blood stains on the pull out sofa in bedroom. I was constantly getting calls about coming and getting a welcome packet which I declined because all that is , is a trap to get them to sell you a timeshare which I am NOT interested in. I would not pay to stay here again. Spend the extra money and stay at the Marriott. The mattress , linens and everything is overall better at the Marriott. Due to the size of my family we had to stay in a room that accompanied six so the boardwalk was one of the choices , once again so disappointed.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nicole W, General Manager at Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our resort. My staff and I are deeply regretful that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Service and cleanliness are what we take pride in, and it appears we dropped the ball in this case. This is certainly not typical of our Resort and our staff: I will speak with the Housekeeping Manager to find out what happened in this situation.
We do have new pull out sofas as well as new mattresses in our rooms with Serta mattresses that are actually the same ones that are Hilton standard. We apologize if you did not find them to your liking. I would be more than happy to assist you in any way I can to make this up to you.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas the week of Memorial Day, checking in the Sunday prior. We exchanged through Interval International and this was our third or fourth time staying at the location. My wife is claustrophobic and doesn’t take elevators. The resort has two floors of rooms that are adjacent to the parking deck, which makes getting to a room without using an elevator very convenient. Originally, I called the Monday night prior to our check-in to request a low floor room because of my wife’s condition, but the person at the front desk didn’t seem interested, but said that she documented my request. I didn’t feel good about things, so I called again on Saturday morning and spoke with Precious. Precious mentioned that nothing was documented, but that she would ensure that my request for a low floor would be noted.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon at about 2:15 PM to again try to get a low floor. Danielle checked us in and was able to review the notes that Precious added the day prior. Check-in was quick and Danielle provided us with a temporary key card to access the building and a parking pass until our room was available. While we were walking around on the Virginia Beach boardwalk, Jessica called notifying us that our room was available at about 3:00 PM. That was two hours prior to the 5:00 PM normal check-in.

We were assigned an oceanfront room on the third floor, which was great. Since our stay, last year, the living area seems like it had been remodeled with new furniture and a new television. The partial full length window in the living area makes for a great view of the ocean, even while sitting down. Only the AC unit obstructs some of the view.

The one bedroom unit that we stayed in had accommodations for four people, including the dining area, towels and kitchen plates, glasses, utensils, etc. There are several laundry rooms in the resort, so you can wash and clothes or towels while you are there. There is also a towel exchange during the middle of the week, which may limit a trip to the laundry room. Take advantage of it and don’t overlook it, like we did. The kitchen area could use a remodel with new cabinets, countertops, appliances, etc. and I read that it is planned for later this year. I’m not sure this is standard for all one bedroom villas, but the room has a full size bed instead of a queen or king bed. This may be standard, but I couldn’t remember. It only took a couple of nights in order to get used to the smaller bed. Ideally, I wish that the sofa in the bedroom was replaced with a wing chair and a queen or king size bed was added.

There is also free Wi-Fi in the resort and in the villas. Coverage was excellent in the bedroom and the dining area, but sketchy in the living area, where the signal was very weak and was constantly dropped by our smartphones and tablets.

There were several activities available for all ages including wine tasting, water aerobics, glass painting, etc. We tried water aerobics one morning in the indoor heated swimming pool. Having taken water aerobics for the first time last fall at a resort in Florida, I was expecting a similar experience. Unfortunately, the instructor was about 15 minutes late and the class only lasted 15 minutes, including warm ups and stretching. I was also disappointed that the instructor didn’t enforce the “no diving” rule to children who were sharing the pool with those of us taking the class.

The gym was excellent and had many types of equipment, including treadmills, elliptical trainers and weight machines. My wife and I worked out several times during the week and really enjoyed the equipment.

The location of the resort is excellent. The fishing pier is only a couple of blocks away and there are good restaurants close by, including Rockfish, downstairs in the resort. We were there for the Patriotic Festival, so we saw an air show for the first time and got to visit several vendors who were part of the festival.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay at the Boardwalk Resort Hotel and Villas. Our room was excellent and clean and we can see the improvements being made since our last visit last year. The staff was also friendly and very helpful, especially Precious and Danielle. We can’t wait to come back next year!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vsnead
Dear vsnead,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how you enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy to have such a great resort in the middle of all the "action" for our guests to enjoy! We are lucky to have a wonderful team here at Boardwalk and Precious and Danielle are prime examples!
I have had wonderful comments about our water aerobics class in past, so we apologize this one seems to be an anomaly. I have forwarded your comment to our activities manager to address.
Additionally, we are doing a full kitchen and bathroom renovation next year (2015) so be sure to come and check us out again!
Thank you again so much for taking the time to review our property!
-Nicole Webster, GM
Cherry Valley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Boardwalk Villas through an exchange through Interval International.
When we arrived, the front desk staff were very pleasant and professional. We checked in with ease. The concierge was right there to give us our welcome package and answer any questions we had. ( I waited too long to write this review and can't remember names unfortunately).
Our first 1 bedroom unit was an ocean view, and slept 6. There was a sleeper sofa in the bedroom. It was very clean, which is the most important thing to me. The balcony door was sticking, and when I called the front desk, maintenance was there within 5 minutes to fix the problem.
We requested an ocean front, and as soon as one was available we were moved. Again this unit was very clean and had everything we needed to make us comfortable. Our freezer leaked into the refrigerator, and again when I called the desk, maintenance was there within 5 minutes and fixed the problem.
This place is right in the middle of the boardwalk, and everything in walking distance. Restaurants, the pier, shops, and the carnival is right across the street. Dairy Queen next door.
We ate at the Rockfish Bar and Grill and it was very good! We didn't participate in any of the resorts' activities so I can't comment on that.
The only thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars, is when you go out on the balcony you can't shut the doors all the way or you will lock yourself out! Which happened on a few ocassions. Maintenance said there was no way to unlock the door. I wish they could remedy this situation.
It was our first trip to Virginia beach and we loved it and the resort! Our thanks to the whole staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear luvstotravel57,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property! What a pleasure it is to hear about how our hotel and team members helped make your trip a pleasant one! I will be sure to share this review with all of our team members to show them how appreciated they are. I am very fortunate to work with some wonderful people and guest service is our number one priority!
Additionally, we are so sorry that you had an issue with the balcony door! The doors have to be hurricane resistant, so they are pretty heavy but they certainly do not/should not lock when you close them automatically! They can be difficult to open sometimes because of the heaviness of the door and the outside handle is more of an indent so it can be difficult to grip, but if we keep the tracks lubricated they should open and close properly. We are working on a solution on getting a better handle on the outside of the door. Thanks again for your comments! Please come visit us again soon!
Best,