“Location, location, location...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Clifton Park, New York
“Location, location, location...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have been traveling from New York to Virginia Beach for years (always during the month of August) and I always stay at an oceanfront hotel. I just love Virginia Beach and Barclay Towers is the perfect oceanfront hotel to stay at for a couple or a couple with up to two children. Units include a bedroom with a king sized bed and a living area with a queen sized pull out sofa. The living area also has a built-in kitchen with appliances including fridge, stove, sink, dishwasher, dishes, silverware, glasses, a table to eat at, etc... Although dining out is great (and I do recommend one of the many all-you-can eat seafood buffets located off the premises), having these built-in kitchen appliances can save you a lot of money even if only used for breakfast and/or lunch. All rooms are oceanfront, oceanfront, oceanfront. Did I say oceanfront? They include a balcony (except for the 1st floor which has a patio instead of a balcony) and if you leave the balcony door open, your room will be filled with the relaxing sounds of ocean waves crashing one after another. And do bring binoculars! Although you can see the dolphins swim by from your balcony without them, you'll want to have a pair for close ups. Oh yeah, and in the event that it rains, there is an indoor swimming pool, hot tub and exercise room located on the premises as well. I look forward to returning to Barclay Towers this August and each August thereafter.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jim C
, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoy being at Barclay Towers for your stays in Virginia Beach. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and look forward to seeing you in August.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Bangor, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Hi, I recently stayed with a couple and their infant at Barclay Towers. The stay was for five nights. The staff is friendly. A nice complimentary breakfast is available. The best pizza place is across from the front entrance, we enjoyed a dolphin watch boat ride, and of course, went to fine dinining at Rockefellas. I have stayed at the same place for several years, all rooms oceanfront. I had hours of fun with baby Sky in my jogging stroller. I will go back later this summer or next May.

Room Tip: All oceanfront.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit.
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We rented a week from an owner for June 9-16, 2012. At the request of the owner, we were given a first floor unit. These units are handicapped accessible and the resort holds these units open until the week before check-in. No one requested the last first floor unit and the manager placed my family in this unit. This unit was fantastic. Not only do you not have to deal with the elevator, you also have a front and back door access. You can walk out of the unit and be on the boardwalk without having to walk through the resort. The first floor units are in close proximity to the pool, hot tub, work-out area.

The unit was good size for a Virginia Beach timeshare unit. It had a king bed in the bedroom and a sleep sofa in the living area. There was a dining table for four. The kitchen was full size including an oven, which any of the timeshares in VA Beach do not have in them. The unit had everything that we needed for the week.

Everything was clean and well maintained. A full cleaning and linen changes was provided mid-week.

Parking is available for one vehicle on-site or across the street in the parking garage.

I would not hesitate to return to Barclay Tower and would, in fact, look forward to it greatly!

Room Tip: Some folks like the higher floors, but this first floor unit was fantastic. However, these are save...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed being at Barclay Towers for your stay in Virginia Beach. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and hope to see you again soon!
Hazard, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We recently stayed at the Barclay towers from June 3-6th, and I am in love. I read all the reviews and was a little un easy. We arrived got a speedy check in, the front recpetionist was very friendly and answered all of our questions. We arrived in our room and it was very clean and pleasantly spacious. The maid service was great and the maids was very nice. I have been coming to Va Beach for several years and we will be back!!!!!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests, and certainly appreciate your business. Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! Hope to see you back again soon.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We have had our time share with Barclay Towers for 20+ years. I have always been pleased with customer service. This year however, the front desk staff was lacking hospitality. To say that the front desk manager (in her 40's with bleach blonde hair & black roots) was rude when checking us in is putting it mildly. We have been long time customers here and although I'm quite familiar with the check-out, parking, smoking, & breakfast policies, I don't mind a friendly reminder... However I don't like rules explained in a demanding way when I have no intention of breaking any. I felt as though I was being spoken to like a criminal, like I was already guily of checking out after 10, or trying to sneak freebie breakfasts. Also, I noticed that Barclay Towers no longer offers bell hops to help guests with luggage. That was always such a big help, and I dont mind tipping well for the trouble.

I do love the new furniture and chandeliers in the lobby, but the rest of the remodeling is in very strange taste. It's brand new, but does look very outdated. The carpet in the hallways is just odd. And why the pea soup green color on the walls in the unit?

We requested a crib for our stay. When my son was a baby, Barclay Towers provided a small, yet stable crib for him. This time, all we got was a pack & play. We were told we would be provided with a crib. My daughter is 18 mos and we haven't used a playpen since she was about 8mos. I asked about the weight limit to see if it would be safe for her to even use. I was told that the weight limit was printed on the box & they had already thrown it in the trash. LOL, what?! Apparently they are offering sleeping arrangements for children and they aren't even sure of the safety requirements.

Ocean front balconies are certainly beautiful. Room was clean and well stocked. Toiletries from Barh & Body Works are a nice touch! The renovations in the pool area look really nice. The convenience of Barclay Towers is great! Love being right on the boardwalk. Love being on the less crowded side of the pier. Love sitting on the balcony listening to the ocean waves every evening. Love having a garage to park my car in right across the street. There are many wonderful things about Barclay Towers, but it couldn't hurt for them to step up their game in more than a few areas.

The slogan for this hotel used to be "We Strive For 5's!" Wonder what happened to that?

Room Tip: Top floor (8) will give you the best view!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sunshynajc
I'm glad you enjoyed being at Barclay Towers again for your week in Virginia Beach. We value you as owners and appreciate your comments and suggestions! We look forward to your next visit! "We Strive For 5's!"
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed at the Barclay Towers May 17-20'th 2012.. checked in a day early no problem, front staff was very professional and helpful(I have no idea what others reviews had to complain about)
Yes rooms need some attention, fridge was loud but when we mentioned it at the front desk they had a repairman at the room with-in 5 minutes. Room view was excellent, breakfast was what we had expected, rates were good. Problem with one elevator one day but the hotel was not full so waiting on one elevator was not that bad.

Would we return.heck yes

People you just need to realise that this is not a 5 star hotel and accept that everything may not be as new or modern as you would like..but the location, and view more than make up for any outdated carpet.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again soon
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I attended a family wedding at the Barclay Towers. When i returned to my car in the parking deck it was gone. The hotel had it towed away because I did not have a parking pass. Nobody told us we needed one and then when we brought this to the attention of the front desk staff they simply said that parking was not included in the wedding contract. How was I supposed to know what was included in the wedding contract. I was just a guest! My relatives spent thousands of dollars with them and this is how they treat their guests. Imagine if you only spent $250 or $500 with them. Yikes.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank markcip
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
I am truly sorry that your vehicle was towed during the wedding and reception. This event was planned during the Virginia Beach Patriotic Festival, one of the biggest events in the City each year. Your family was well aware of the parking restrictions from the first phone call, through all follow up calls, to the last phone call. The City even closed Atlantic Avenue, due to the Patriotic Festival, and shuttle bus was the only way to get to the beach. A sign was posted on the gift table in reference to the parking for this event. It is certainly unfortunate that the event planners did not convey this information to their guests.