“A very clean and affordable place to stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barclay Towers Resort Hotel

Barclay Towers Resort Hotel
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Knoxville, Tennessee
“A very clean and affordable place to stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

Our vacation stay at the Barclay was excellent. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but the staff was always very curteous about their working around the guests. The room was very clean. Our towels and trash were changed out daily. The staff at the desk was always very helpful. The beach was wonderful. The indoor pool was very nice. The free breakfast was good....yes...it didn't have everything you might have wanted, but it had enough to fill you up. The hotel is located right across the street from the pizza place...which seemed to be the joice of dinner for the kids every night. But, a five minute walk across the street saved a delivery fee or a tip for the meal. The kitchen was well stocked...even had coffee. Our refrigerator ran a little cold and froze a few of the drinks. The view of the ocean every morning was wonderful. This was a very affordable place to stay. Our family will come back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

Our family stayed here for a week and I must say that the staff was so very polite and nice. My 10 year old even mentioned how nice everyone was...Had a great room on the second floor. I have to say I was a little hesitant about staying here but I am so glad we did...the room are spacious and clean. The only thing is that I wish we had a full size refrigerator. I could have made more meals if I had more room to store some groceries but other than that I would definately recommend this for families traveling to VA Beach.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Montreal,Qc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

I really enjoyed this place. The room was a good size (and it was the size that I saw advertised on the website), the bed was great, the staff were very pleasant and courteous, the breakfast was good. Even though it was full of families with small children, it was quiet. We never heard our neighbors beside us or above us. There were two TV's in each room, which I have never seen before, one in the bedroom and the other in the living room. The only drawbacks would be the ventilation system which I thought was pretty loud (but at the end of the day I was so tired that it did not hinder my sleep) and the fact that their router had problems and thus the Wi-Fi did not work well. However there was a computer in the lobby for quick access to e-mail....
I have stayed at other hotels in VA Beach and this is my favorite one so far. I would definitely stay here again!!!! Can't wait to go back next summer....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Falmouth, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Stayed in the Barclay Towers Resort Hotel over Memorial Day weekend 2010. I first stayed her with my family about 15 years ago but both the hotel and the city have been completely reworked since then. I was not pleased at all with my experience this time. The room was false advertised, it was not nearly has big as they said. The pictures showed a full size kitchen with counter space. This was the complete opposite. The stove was have the size has a normal, we had a mini-fridge, and a sink. All this in about a 6 foot wide space.

Checked in late evening on Friday. The staff at the front desk was very accommodating and nice so I thought the weekend would go great. Didn't have much time to experience anything Friday night and we picked up my son on Saturday. We stayed busy away from the hotel all day and when we got back we found that we didn't have enough sheets for his bed. Walked down to the front desk to get change for the washing machine, which by the way is outdated and small, and to ask for more sheets. I stood at the front desk for at least 10 minutes until someone finally appeared. I asked for the change and the sheets and the lady apprehensive, about sending them to the room. We waited at least another half an hour before I went back down to the front desk and had to ask for them again. When I got down to the front desk, I was told the security guard was on his way with them. I went back up to my room thinking that the sheets would have been there by that point; but, no it was still another 15 minutes before my sons sheets arrived. We were out of the room for 95% of the next day. When we got back in the room we found one bed made, cleaning solution still sitting on the table by the television, floors had not been swept. We know that bc I had spilled some laundry detergent on the floor and it was still there. Our bathroom, was not cleaned still had sand it in from the previous day, and my sons room was not touched. When we got back to the room about 6 pm we decided to go to the beach. Our time at the beach was cut short because of a thunderstorm that had moved in. So we decided to go to the INDOOR pool, but was told that it was CLOSED because of the storm OUTSIDE. So we decided to give it a little time and we went back up stairs to eat dinner, and give it time to re-open. By this time at least two hours had passed, and all weather had been moved out for at least an hour and a half. When we got down stairs, we found out that it was STILL CLOSED. We were told to come down in a few minutes and see if it was still close. We waited 15 minutes; I was told that it was closed for the night!!!!! This was still an hour before the pool was scheduled to close.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

The hotel was clean, smoke-free, right on the beach, and a very good rate. Apparently the rooms were recently renovated and it showed. The common areas were always clean and/or being cleaned. The breakfast included boiled eggs, fruit and yogurt along with the standard continental breakfast fare. That was great for me being a diabetic and most places only having sweet cereal, muffins, sweet rolls, etc. The only thing that was strange to me was that we did not have a dish washer but they wanted us to wash the dishes before we left. In the cabinet where the dishes were stored was a statement that all dishes are washed and sanitized per Virginia state law. Does that mean they took the dishes out of the cabinets and sanitized them after I washed them and put them up? How would they even know we used them? Hmmmmmm.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

I traded my timeshare for this one for our spring break vacation. There are hotel options.

About a month before arriving, I had read some reviews about bed bugs. I emailed the office several times and was reassured there were no bed bugs. I'm a maniac and checked the unit, sans luggage, to inspect for bed bugs before bringing in our items. There was no evidence of any and the unit was very clean and recently remodeled.

The timeshare units are all one bedroom and feature a boardwalk/beach view. This means the set up is pretty unique. When you enter the door, the queen size bed is immediately in front of you, set up as a small bedroom unit with a good size closet. Walking down the narrow hallway, you pass the good sized bathroom into the living room with sliding doors out to the balcony overlooking the beach. The kitchen is small, with a full sized refrig, mini dishwasher and small stove and microwave. The units were all in working order and there were plenty of pots and pans.

The furniture was in good condition. Cable television was limited but included 3 HBO channels. The coach opened to a sofa bed, but we never used it. I didn't find the couch very comfortable to sit on but the chair was ok.

The carpets and flooring all appeared to be in near new condition. The air conditioning unit was very loud. I mean very loud. When you read about air conditioning in the reviews, take it seriously. It wouldn't bother me if it didn't kick on and off so often. The position of the bedroom, near the door to the hallway, could be a problem if people out there are noisy. We had one morning of some loud folks leaving at 5am, and I welcomed the air conditioning unit kicking on at the right time to drown them out.

The people at the front desk appeared bored and didn't perk up when I asked questions on the first day such as, "where can we grab some milk". The property is sold out for timeshare buyers but do rent out hotel suites to other guests. Continental breakfast was available to hotel guests daily but the timeshare guests were given breakfast on Monday only at 9am along with a little presentation on the area happenings. When we checked in, we were given a packet which included area attractions along with direction on how to get there. The check in/check out procedure was clear, and we received instructions two weeks before we were scheduled to arrive.

It was great to see the sunrise each morning from the balcony or, if too chilly, from the living room. It was a great spot to people watch too, as there are all sorts of interesting characters roller blading, biking, walking, running and kite flying right outside of the unit. We were given the second floor, probably not the most desirable floor, but we liked it because we could easily bypass the two elevators easy enough. We had great weather that week, and all days except one were warm enough to lay out on the beach.

The indoor pool was adequate and in good shape. There were plenty of staff to keep up with towels, sweeping and keeping the general areas clean. This is where we found the friendliest staff members. We received trash removal service and fresh towels daily. We received maid service twice during the week which included refreshing the bath & body works toiletries and a vacuum/dust/clean. Typically these services do not come with timeshare stays unless you pay extra.

The location is near 9th Street, right on Atlantic Avenue. Parking is limited in front of the unit, but there is a parking garage right across the street. After the weekend folks cleared out, we had no difficulties finding a spot out front of the building. Plenty of places to eat and snack lined Atlantic Avenue. Lots of little shops and such were all a walk away. Vendors were all over renting family bikes, single bikes, roller blades and such.

We drove an hour or so during our week stay to Busch Gardens and had a nice day. About a mile away is a cute aquarium we spent half a day in, and drove half an hour to the Norfolk zoo too.

This is one of my favorite drive-to vacations we've had, in the six years or so we've been trading for spring breaks. I would definitely return to Virginia Beach, and definitely would stay at this timeshare spot again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

Barclay Towers is NOT a luxury hotel/resort, but we found it to be an amazing value. All rooms face the ocean. We were on the eighth floor and had a fantastic view. The hotel is in a great location for walking to restaurants, etc., but is farther down the street from the most-tourist centered (tacky) shops, etc. We had a servicable kitchenette, a comfortable kingsize bed, and a small but adequte balcony overlooking the ocean. In short, I really felt that we got a great deal for the off season rate we paid. I would recommend this place to friends, especially for the off season.

The pool was being renovated while we were there, so we didn't get to use that. Hotel staff offered us use of the pool at the Quality Inn next door, although we didn't try it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple