“Ok value, experience only interesting for about ten minutes.”

Virginia Beach Horseback
More attraction details
Owner description: Virginia Beach & Outer Banks Horseback is a rental service specializing in guided beach horseback rides. We genuinely have a passion and love to horseback ride. Our ability to do it on the beach is something everyone in this world should experience. We strive to give our customers an adventure and memory that they will never forget.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My family and I went on a horseback swimming excursion in July with this company. The overall experience was mediocre and seemed short. During the summer, the company can't operate on the main oceanfront so the swimming was actually done in North Bay off of Horn Point Road. The staff barely introduced themselves and gave only a 60 second overview of how to ride a horse (some horses did get rowdy later in the trip). This hour long experience consisted of about a half mile of uninteresting road each way from the corral. At the end of the half mile, the road literally drops into the water (no beach since it is part of the bay). You take the horses into the water and race them for about 100 feet and then you repeat this feat in the same location about four more times and then ride the horses back. It seemed quick and the horses seemed pretty tired from having raced in the water (previous groups had been out as well). They seemed to take only average care of the horses. I can't see myself recommending this company for the summer "experience".

7  Thank ATLtraveler84
"a lot of fun"
in 35 reviews
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 16 May 2013

As a horse person, I was curious when I heard a horse whinny outside my hotel window on the beach. In fact at first, I couldn't actually believe it and thought it must be a child's toy before I saw for myself!

I immediately found the number via online search and booked a ride for the next day.

These horses were phenomenal. It is not often that you find horses that are so well trained and will walk into the ocean with waves coming at them and not even flinch. The horses also are very well taken care of (as shown by weight, coat, demeanor) and even each have little bags around their tails to 'pick up after themselves'. An added plus is that the horses are all corralled together and appear very comfortable with each other, so if you get too close to another horse (typically a no no) there is less cause for concern. I personally rode Ginger and she was an absolute doll!

The guides were extremely accommodating and attentive. They were aware of the beach surroundings and maneuvered at a safe distance from all beach goers sans horse. They provided excellent safety gear as well!

I will definitely be utilizing their service again the next time I am in Virginia Beach!

Also, don't forget to tip your guide! I didn't have extra cash and regretted it :(

1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I bought this horse ride on the beach for a friend of mine who loves horses. This was an hour long ride down the beach to see the christmas lights at night. I'm not a good rider, mostly scared, but they accomodated me by giving me a very nice horse. I felt very safe and comfortable, really for the first time on a horse. The ride was so relaxing and such a different thing to do. I'm looking forward, yes looking forward to the summer so I can do the ride where you can ride the horse into the water. The owner was there the night I went. He was really nice and treated the horses very well. Which made me even better about the experience. There are plenty of places to eat and find a bathroom on the boardwalk so it is easy to plan a day around.

3  Thank mojoredbeak
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I was very excited about the opportunity to ride horseback on the beach. The Wranglers were supposed to send someone with me, but instead they walked alongside. This resulted in several issues, including the horse not behaving, as it was used to following, and the horse scareing pedestrians and children on the beach. They were delayed in getting me started, as they kept putting kids on the horses for photo ops and charging addtional money. I'd say focus on one or the other -- taking out riders or providing photo ops.

2  Thank sablansr81