“Time of My Life!”

Virginia Beach | Outer Banks (OBX) Horseback
Ranked #3 of 65 Tours in Virginia Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Virginia Beach | Outer Banks (OBX) Horseback is a fun and caring organization that is here to help provide a better understanding of the bond that is established between man and horse. We have already rescued & retrained over 30 horses since Chase Foster took over the business in 2010. These horses were deemed unmanageable by their previous owners and now the men were looking to make a quick buck off the animal by selling to the highest bidder, slaughter chains and all. Our mission at these auctions is to find these horses and save as many as we can. The "unmanageable" horses come to the farm with all the spirit of a wild mustang. Here our goal is not to break the spirit completely, but find a safe way for us to communicate commands to the powerful creature in a way that can't hurt them or us. It's exhausting work, but with a lot of persistence, eventually they do seem to understand through our training and watching the other horses in action, that we are only here to help them succeed in life. Every customer that comes to support our business and experience their own bond on the beach, is ultimately helping us save and care for even more of these amazing animals.
Norfolk, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Time of My Life!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

First off I want to say that I am appalled by some of the reviews people have written on here. I was slightly hesitant to try this because of some of the reviews on here but after trying it anyway I can confidently say that this experience is quite the opposite and deserves some positive reviews!!!! I try to stay away from the trip advisor website when planning my vacations because because of all the negativity but after the great experience I had with this company I just had to write a review of my own.

With that being said I had amazing time on this horseback tour and it is definitely something I will recommend to my family and friends! I have been on vacation to Virginia Beach with my family many times and had never seen horses on the beach( I was told they only operate in the off season so that is why) . I recently moved to Norfolk ( about 20 min away from VB) and after hearing about it from a few new friends in the area I decided to check it out. Originally being from Hanover VA I had many friends with horses and have been riding my whole life but never something like this. These horses were beautiful! They looked extremely well taken care of and had better temperaments then any horse I have ever rode on. The staff was very friendly and helpful and seemed extremely knowledgeable about the animals. They answered all my questions and helped calm my nerves before helping me up on one of their horses. After telling them I hadn't rode in a few years and was a little nervous they chose a beautiful horse named KING who was an absolute sweetheart. It did take the horse a few minutes to warm up to me but after it did I had to problems with getting it to do what I wanted it to. The horses were all friendly to one another and did not want to stray from the group so I didn't have to do much. I decided to do the hour ride since I was by myself and after riding for 30 min the horses all knew were to turn around and seemed excited to head home. It was so cute!! I went solo this time but I am definitely going to get my family or some of my friends to go with me in December for their Christmas light ride they told me they offer around the holidays.

The only Con was that my ride got cut a little short due to the horses speeding up on the way back but I had so much fun during the ride that it was still completely worth it!

This is something I can cross off my bucket list and is definitely something I will do again!!!

Visited November 2013
4 Thank Amanda O

Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Giddy Up on the Beach”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was one of the most enjoyable horseback riding excursions I've ever taken. I've done these many times out West and typically are quite bored. These horses had spunk, yet were well trained and worked well with each other. They knew exactly at what point to turn around and lead us back up the beach directly to the corral. Riding on the beach allowed us to spread out and not clomp down the beach in single file like most trail rides. We talked and laughed the whole ride! Our group ages ranged from 50's to 11, and all fairly inexperienced riders, we all felt safe and comfortable with our horses. Our guide was very pleasant and extremely experienced. I would highly recommend this excursion, great family fun!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank wildwooly
Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not worth the money and bad staff”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went for the summer ride this past July, the website is misleading because you can't ride on the beach during the summer instead the ride is down a paved back road to a boat launch ramp where you enter the water of the back bay. The horses appear to be neglected and overworked. Two of the animals had open hoof wounds and were still being ridden. The staff while friendly was not helpful or in my opinion competent. During the ride back from the swim portion my son's saddle slipped and he fell off the horse injuring his arm. My son is an accomplished rider and has trained for competitive mounted shooting; prior to getting on the horse he mentioned to the staff that the saddle appeared to be loose. He was told it would be fine and not to worry, not being his horse or equipment he did not argue. Since the staff was unable to keep the group together my son was already getting up from the ground when I got to him. Making things worse the horse I was on was skittish and non responsive to commands from the rider, so I could not dismount the animal to check my sons injury until a staff member ran back to grab the reins. My son and I walked back to coral about 1/4 of a mile. None of the staff had any medical training or supplies on site in the event of a mishap. Once back at the coral none of the staff approached to check on my son’s injury. The only action I noticed them taking was to tighten the loose saddle on the horse that my son was on. If you want to ride horses in VA Beach avoid this company. The only reason it gets a one circle rating is because this site requires at least one.

10 Thank Kevin608
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Pitiful”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Let me just say I wish I had read prior reviews. Starting with the false advertisement the riding in summer months on the back back you don't even see a bit of sand riding, you ride down a nasty back road full of misqitos. Then the staff, they hardly thought those who didn't know anything about horses what to do. The gal "leading" got us to the water and started to stand on top of her horse to show off. Then we all had horse races in the water? This same gal was intagonizing horses with riders who didn't want to race, almost throwing them off. 12 horses with 8 riders we come back the other horses had been left tied up for an hour with saddles and bits in their mouths with no water mid July 97 degrees. Several of the horses had sores and were neglected. The owners reasoning for this was that they were rescued horses. NOT HARDLY

VERY LOWZY SERVICE NOT WORTH 150$ for 2 people plus 25

10 Thank rglasshoff
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Ok value, experience only interesting for about ten minutes.”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My family and I went on a horseback swimming excursion in July with this company. The overall experience was mediocre and seemed short. During the summer, the company can't operate on the main oceanfront so the swimming was actually done in North Bay off of Horn Point Road. The staff barely introduced themselves and gave only a 60 second overview of how to ride a horse (some horses did get rowdy later in the trip). This hour long experience consisted of about a half mile of uninteresting road each way from the corral. At the end of the half mile, the road literally drops into the water (no beach since it is part of the bay). You take the horses into the water and race them for about 100 feet and then you repeat this feat in the same location about four more times and then ride the horses back. It seemed quick and the horses seemed pretty tired from having raced in the water (previous groups had been out as well). They seemed to take only average care of the horses. I can't see myself recommending this company for the summer "experience".

7 Thank ATLtraveler84