“Great experience for the kids!”

Virginia Beach | Outer Banks (OBX) Horseback
Ranked #3 of 64 Tours in Virginia Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Virginia Beach | Outer Banks (OBX) Horseback is a fun and caring organization that is here to help provide a better understanding of the bond that is established between man and horse. We have already rescued & retrained over 30 horses since Chase Foster took over the business in 2010. These horses were deemed unmanageable by their previous owners and now the men were looking to make a quick buck off the animal by selling to the highest bidder, slaughter chains and all. Our mission at these auctions is to find these horses and save as many as we can. The "unmanageable" horses come to the farm with all the spirit of a wild mustang. Here our goal is not to break the spirit completely, but find a safe way for us to communicate commands to the powerful creature in a way that can't hurt them or us. It's exhausting work, but with a lot of persistence, eventually they do seem to understand through our training and watching the other horses in action, that we are only here to help them succeed in life. Every customer that comes to support our business and experience their own bond on the beach, is ultimately helping us save and care for even more of these amazing animals.
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great experience for the kids!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Horseback riding on the beach was truly an experience one will never forget. My kids really enjoyed the experience. They take riders 6 years of age and older. Both of my kids had a great experience. My first horse wouldn't walk so a walker had to walk her (not a great experience). I switched horses and had a much better and more relaxing experience. It was tranquil and relaxing.

People on the beach were kind of rude and wouldn't move for the horses or would get in the way (or maybe the issue was we were in their way), but either way I would only do this during low volume season times to really get the full enjoyment of the beach riding experience.

The price was $65 for an hour and I would say was worth it and is an experience that my kids will remember for life. Well worth the photo op.

I felt bad for the horses because some of them had rub sores from the equipment that they were wearing (but I am not a horse person so maybe this is normal wear).

We would definitely do it again if we go back to VA Beach.

Visited March 2014
5 Thank dskefamily4

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Checked off my bucket list!!! Horseback riding on the beach!!! Absolutely amazing experience!! Thank you Virginia beach horseback for a wonderful experience you guys were wonderful, your service was amazing! Thank you guys for making me feel confident in experiencing horseback riding for my very first time! I'm ready to ride again!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank CWads82
Chase F, Owner at Virginia Beach | Outer Banks (OBX) Horseback, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
We are so glad you guys had a good time and we hope to hear from you all again soon!
Norfolk, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Time of My Life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

First off I want to say that I am appalled by some of the reviews people have written on here. I was slightly hesitant to try this because of some of the reviews on here but after trying it anyway I can confidently say that this experience is quite the opposite and deserves some positive reviews!!!! I try to stay away from the trip advisor website when planning my vacations because because of all the negativity but after the great experience I had with this company I just had to write a review of my own.

With that being said I had amazing time on this horseback tour and it is definitely something I will recommend to my family and friends! I have been on vacation to Virginia Beach with my family many times and had never seen horses on the beach( I was told they only operate in the off season so that is why) . I recently moved to Norfolk ( about 20 min away from VB) and after hearing about it from a few new friends in the area I decided to check it out. Originally being from Hanover VA I had many friends with horses and have been riding my whole life but never something like this. These horses were beautiful! They looked extremely well taken care of and had better temperaments then any horse I have ever rode on. The staff was very friendly and helpful and seemed extremely knowledgeable about the animals. They answered all my questions and helped calm my nerves before helping me up on one of their horses. After telling them I hadn't rode in a few years and was a little nervous they chose a beautiful horse named KING who was an absolute sweetheart. It did take the horse a few minutes to warm up to me but after it did I had to problems with getting it to do what I wanted it to. The horses were all friendly to one another and did not want to stray from the group so I didn't have to do much. I decided to do the hour ride since I was by myself and after riding for 30 min the horses all knew were to turn around and seemed excited to head home. It was so cute!! I went solo this time but I am definitely going to get my family or some of my friends to go with me in December for their Christmas light ride they told me they offer around the holidays.

The only Con was that my ride got cut a little short due to the horses speeding up on the way back but I had so much fun during the ride that it was still completely worth it!

This is something I can cross off my bucket list and is definitely something I will do again!!!

Visited November 2013
4 Thank Amanda O
Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Giddy Up on the Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was one of the most enjoyable horseback riding excursions I've ever taken. I've done these many times out West and typically are quite bored. These horses had spunk, yet were well trained and worked well with each other. They knew exactly at what point to turn around and lead us back up the beach directly to the corral. Riding on the beach allowed us to spread out and not clomp down the beach in single file like most trail rides. We talked and laughed the whole ride! Our group ages ranged from 50's to 11, and all fairly inexperienced riders, we all felt safe and comfortable with our horses. Our guide was very pleasant and extremely experienced. I would highly recommend this excursion, great family fun!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank wildwooly
Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not worth the money and bad staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went for the summer ride this past July, the website is misleading because you can't ride on the beach during the summer instead the ride is down a paved back road to a boat launch ramp where you enter the water of the back bay. The horses appear to be neglected and overworked. Two of the animals had open hoof wounds and were still being ridden. The staff while friendly was not helpful or in my opinion competent. During the ride back from the swim portion my son's saddle slipped and he fell off the horse injuring his arm. My son is an accomplished rider and has trained for competitive mounted shooting; prior to getting on the horse he mentioned to the staff that the saddle appeared to be loose. He was told it would be fine and not to worry, not being his horse or equipment he did not argue. Since the staff was unable to keep the group together my son was already getting up from the ground when I got to him. Making things worse the horse I was on was skittish and non responsive to commands from the rider, so I could not dismount the animal to check my sons injury until a staff member ran back to grab the reins. My son and I walked back to coral about 1/4 of a mile. None of the staff had any medical training or supplies on site in the event of a mishap. Once back at the coral none of the staff approached to check on my son’s injury. The only action I noticed them taking was to tighten the loose saddle on the horse that my son was on. If you want to ride horses in VA Beach avoid this company. The only reason it gets a one circle rating is because this site requires at least one.

Visited July 2013