“The great reviews don't lie”

Belvedere Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 23 August 2012

While we'd have to give the weather a 1 during our recent stay, I can't say enough nice things about the Belvedere and its staff. Every staff member we ran across, from the owners to the housekeeping staff, was friendly and helpful. The location is excellent...a short walk down the boardwalk to where everything is happening, but far enough away to be quiet in the evenings. The availability of rental chairs and umbrellas at lower prices than the beach vendors was nice too. If a spacious, luxurious bathroom is critical to the success of your vacation, look elsewhere. If clean, comfortable, convenient hospitality is what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the Belvedere.

3  Thank CMichener

Reviewed 22 August 2012

This hotel was everything the reviews said. I'm from the South and lord let me tell you the staff was top notch and pleasant. My room was spotless by 10:00am every single morning. Right on the beach. I watched the Sunrise every morning! They even printed my tickets to various venues without batting an eye whatsoever! I left the maid staff a nice tip. The Cafe had good reviews as #2 in the City. I wouldn't know because it's always packed!!! We will be back, we will order the Cafe's room service next time!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Just returned from a two-night stay and had a great time!

As other reviewers have said, the building is a little dated, but so what? The rooms are good sized and clean, clean, clean! The bathroom - though tiny - was spotless. Pam always had a smile on her face and ALL of the staff was super friendly and helpful. The view was great, the walk to the beach was short and the free bikes were a hit with the whole family.

The only suggestion I have would be to have coffee in the lobby for us early risers. There was no coffee pot in the room, but we were provided a small one upon request - with no cream or sugar. The coffee shop doesn't open until 7:00 and we paid $2.00 for a very small cup when they opened. Seemed a little pricey to me. I didn't realize until the last day that there is a 7-11 about two blocks north but I will know next time!

This was our first trip to Virginia Beach in almost 15 years. We WILL be back and we WILL stay at the Belvedere.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have the same amazing view. You can't go wrong!
1  Thank MsShay
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Just returned from a too fast 2 night stay at the Belvedere. This was the 4th or 5th year in a row I've stayed here. I choose the Belvedere exactly because it is not like every hotel in Va. Beach.

Perhaps I'm different than other visitors, but I go to the beach because of the BEACH. I do not need to be entertained 24/7. From about 9:30 AM until 6 PM, I'm on the beach.

The staff is excellent as are the rooms. Over the past few years I've noticed some really nice upgrades such as the wonderful new bedding, cute pillows, and also the flat screen TV's. (Please note, not once when I've been here have I ever actually turned on the TV. Who needs to when you can read on the balcony?) The bathroom may be small to some, but very clean. If you have travelled anywhere in Europe, this should be no surprise.

I enjoyed meeting the people who work here. They are happy and kind and not in a phony way. James helped carry our bags to our rooms on the 4th floor. Kimberly attended our rooms each morning. Both were very sweet and kind to encounter throughout the day. (Super sweet people! As is everyone at the front desk.)

Wi-fi was great and they have several different ones to use. I use an iPhone if that helps. Very easy to check emails and stay in touch with the outside world.

If you need massive entertainment, this may not be the place for you. In fact, the beach may not be the place for you. Maybe Vegas for the hyper people?

Lobby great and clean. Could see myself sitting here reading a book during a massive rainstorm. Had a bit of struggle with sliding door to balcony first night. Within 5 minutes a pleasant attendant helped reset door and worked perfectly.

Some may not get this reference, but if Picasso came back to Va. Beach for an authentic seaside stay, I think he'd choose the Belvedere. Great old-school seaside charm. Relaxing reading on the balcony at night. Usually other guests are not overly hyper. Pool area very clean and family friendly. Very easy to relax and unwind here.

The only downside is found out the coffee shop serves a bloody mary. Couldn't order as leaving that day. father and brother returning in 2 weeks, so they will sample.

Clean, super charming, and relaxing "home away from home" amidst hyper activity of other places.

Always pleasant stay each year.

3  Thank JillP723
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We (spouse + 2 kids (9 & 7)) spent the weekend at the Belvedere and were very satisfied.

The notable points for us were:

1) All rooms with an ocean view / small balcony
2) Refrigerator and microwave in each room was handy (esp. for families with young kids)
3) Reasonably priced
4) Steps away from the "boardwalk" - took us literally 1 minute from room to sand
5) Swimming pool - the kids loved it - not in a great location (parking lot) but there was nowhere else to put it :)
6) The hotel is connected to a quaint (5 booths and counter seating) breakfast/lunch place but get there early for a booth (before 8:30am) or you'll likely be waiting...
7) Tyler at the front desk was very welcoming and informative at check-in and at check-out, even though it was chaotic with many people trying to check-out at once, they were equally so
8) The free use of bikes (a nice perk and $$ saver)

As far as the decor and the room itself? Yes, the walls are brown wood paneling and the accommodations were basic but it was clean. In fact, I was quite impressed that the (clearly old style) bathroom fixtures and the various nooks and crannies of an old bathroom were noticeably free from the "gunk" (lime buildup, etc) that old bathrooms get to having.

For a basic, decent-priced, small hotel that's close to the beach and is family-friendly, I would definitely recommend the Belvedere. It was our first time to Virginia Beach and after staying here and also after seeing the alternatives, we would (and will) definitely return.

An aside to families considering a visit to Va Beach: the town we feel is very young-family friendly. It has numerous "No ^#%@#" signs, lifeguards aplenty, playgrounds, public bathrooms/showers, and public rinse stations. Teens or young adults looking for a bustling, active, honky-tonk type of boardwalk, ala Ocean City, will be disappointed though as it's not that type of place.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room and will request the same next time. It made going to and coming from th...
2  Thank BillyPenn
Reviewed 14 August 2012

When I review something I base my opinion on what the Hotel has portrayed its self to be!
The Belvedere is a small, family-run, ocean front hotel in an excellent location. It is spotlessly clean, the staff are warm and welcoming and jumped to help us when ever we needed them, the rooms were, nice, clean and had every thing that a couple with a small baby would need and the views were amazing. The pool was small but that is what the hotel advertises, so that is what we expected!

Overall this was one, if not the most friendly hotels I have stayed in, we travelled with our 10month old son and felt safe staying in this hotel! I would recommend this hotel 100%.

It is not a 5star luxury hotel, but it never pretends it be that! Deserves its high rating on Tripadvisor.

2  Thank BCJD12
belvederebeachresort, Owner at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you for a great compliment. We are what we are, and love catering to families. It's nice to have new friends from the UK.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I spend three nights at the Belvedere in July. We found it to be pretty much as described in other reviews so we were not expecting a fancy, modern hotel. Location was great -- short walk to beach. Rooms were clean and pleasant. Air conditioning unit was noisy but it worked well. Loved the oceanfront view. Staff was great. Cheap rental on beach chairs was appreciated.
Minor complaints -- needs a little sprucing up, particularly carpet in room. Our phone didn't work well the whole time.
All in all, it was what we expected and we would return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the suggestions. We are trying to spruce up more and more each year. In 2010 we brought in new bedding, linens, draperies and refurbished the furniture. In 2011 added flat screen TVs, all new kitchenettes, & RFID door locks. This year we added microwaves in every room, completely redid our pool, and in The Coffee Shop: new furniture & wallpaper along with a new air conditioning system. We will continue to upgrade and look forward to your return.