“Everything We Wanted”

Belvedere Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 18 September 2012

This is the third time we've stayed @ the Belvedere Hotel and would definitely go back again. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful (especially Bren). It's affordable and extremely clean & every room has an ocean view. Bicycles are provided which we rode twice a day and the pool is clean .
Also the adjoining restaurant has the nicest staff and the best breakfast and lunches .
Truly, this is a GEM!!!
Alot of the family run hotels are disappearing along the strip and being taken over by the Big Chains. Please don't allow this to happen to the Bevedere!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LAO8

Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel is a great alternative to the offerings along the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. All of the chain hotels charge outrageous prices compared to the nightly rate at the Belvedere. The hotel has a great, unobstructed view of the ocean, even on the ground floor. Being at the North End of the beach, this hotel is great for families because it is located in an area of the oceanfront without all of the obscure businesses and nightclubs. The hotel only has one problem, parking. Make sure when you park, it is impossible to be "boxed in" by other cars. The room was just a clean as any other chain hotel. The bathroom is small, but it still does its job. Overall, this hotel has made a return guest out of me.

Room Tip: If you can't sleep with any noise at all, avoid a ground floor room. A slight amount of noise ca...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank awwthomas
Reviewed 26 August 2012

First, I booked the rooms just a couple weeks in advance and was quite pleased they had an available room. My husband, college age son and I stayed here three nights. We were on the second floor and had a beautiful view of the ocean, beach and boardwalk. We could sit on the balcony or be in our room and have the sliding door open and hear those lovely ocean waves all day. We could walk down to the beach in less than a minute and that was so cool.

I loved the casual ocean decor of the room and flat screen TV on the wall. Small bathroom size was a non-issue for us, even with my husband who's 6'3" and over 250 pounds. The room itself was bigger than many hotel rooms we've stayed at. Happy that there was a fridge and microwave in the room. We took our own coffee maker as there isn't one in the room, and a toaster as well, along with bread and peanut butter. In the morning, we'd sip our coffee and eat toast on the balcony...heavenly.

All staff was very polite. One reason for four stars is because this is the only ocean view hotel we've ever been to, so I have no comparison with others. And I found that sitting on the balcony in plastic chairs put the top of the railing right at my sight of vision. I placed several pillows on the chair so I could sit higher and see the view. Also, my husband and I have a queen sized bed at home; the ones at this hotel are smaller, more like a full size bed, so you have less room to move around in while you sleep. Lastly, it would seem like the best location for a hotel would be in the middle of the boardwalk around 20th Street, this one is up north on 36th street but still a great location.

I would love to stay here again. Wish I was there right now!

Room Tip: Uh, I don't see how you could go wrong with any room at this hotel as they are all ocean front a...
3  Thank TwoTripTakers
Reviewed 25 August 2012

All prior reviews are correct. Service is unbeatable. Got a personal email from the owner before we arrived to let know they found us a room to accommodate all 5 nights without a room transfer (originally wasn't available). Was personally greeted by David (the owner) during check-in, he remembered the name, held the doors for us (no joke) and paid a lot of attention during the stay. When my car battery died (grr.. kids...), David (again, personally) helped me start it with a jump-kit. When my kids needed something downstairs, which was a lot, David or his other family workers tolerated all weird requests and assisted them (and I know first-hand, this ain't easy). They also donated us a decent cooler when I asked if we can have a box with ice for perishables. How many places would do that?
The resort is located on the 36th street, a quieter section of the Boardwalk. Depends on your preferences, but I would prefer closer to all the action, i.e. 20th street +/- few blocks). If you want serenity, yet close to the beach, this is your place. You are literally steps away from a very good beach. Of course, serenity goes out the window when military jets start flying overhead (which is pretty much all day long), but there is no escape from them anywhere you go in this town.
Now, for the room: good thing I read prior reviews and didn't have a heart attack at the sight of the bathroom. It is tiny indeed. It was three of us, I and two almost grown kids, so we didn't care much. But if we had our 2-year-old with us, it would become an insurmountable challenge to do anything there. There is a bathtub, but I wonder if it's more of a nuisance than a perk. I would rather see a shower stall with more room for the toilet. If you are obese or large, you may have to use public restrooms before you use this bathroom.
Efficiency kitchen worked great for us, not very fancy or necessarily large, but did the trick for three of us once or twice we stayed in. That said, why eat in with so many places around? Wasn't a big fan of the coffee shop downstairs, but people there are nice. With a larger family, you may find the kitchen a bit cramped. But again, I can't imagine staying at the Belvedere with a large family.
Bottom line: would return in a heartbeat, unless there is four or more of us, in which case, alas, it will have to be one of those faceless, generic chains with larger accommodations and rude personnel with plastic smiles.

Room Tip: Stayed at 301, perfect view, really quiet. That said, all rooms are almost identical in that regard...
1  Thank kolbasik
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Best hotel choice on our Virginia vacation! What a gem. Quiet, and by that, I mean you do not hear your neighbor's door slamming, the ice machine clanking or traffic. Yes, it is not new, but that is part of the charm. Our room was immaculate, bed and pillows so comfortable! Good size vanity. We had a room on the 1st floor, which was handy. The view from the balcony is gorgeous! Staff helpful in recommending restaurants. Free bikes. Also the adjoining diner is a great spot for breakfast. We try to frequent independent properties and restaurants whenever possible. So glad we found the Belvedere!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jossey
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We, again, enjoyed our stay here as we have for 16 years. Like going home seeing our "beach " family.The staff of the resort and coffee shop are the best!! The upgrades done this past year were most appreciated and welcomed, check it out. New pool, too. The everchanging view of the ocean and beach were great.
Watching the Navy ships going in and out of the bay is a real extra treat, take your binoculars.
Seeing the Navy jets overhead and hearing the "sound of freedom" made us appreciate the USA more. This resort is a must stay. Get to the Coffee Shop early as it closes @ 2pm. Great b'fast and the Patty Melt is to "die" for. The best resort for the cost and location on the "quiet" end of the beach.

Room Tip: All ocean front ,with large balconies, we like the 2nd floor, try it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

While we'd have to give the weather a 1 during our recent stay, I can't say enough nice things about the Belvedere and its staff. Every staff member we ran across, from the owners to the housekeeping staff, was friendly and helpful. The location is excellent...a short walk down the boardwalk to where everything is happening, but far enough away to be quiet in the evenings. The availability of rental chairs and umbrellas at lower prices than the beach vendors was nice too. If a spacious, luxurious bathroom is critical to the success of your vacation, look elsewhere. If clean, comfortable, convenient hospitality is what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the Belvedere.

3  Thank CMichener