“Great view, Great Room, some tweaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Schooner Inn

Schooner Inn
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Great view, Great Room, some tweaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Come here for room view of the beach, the king size beds, and the heart shaped whirlpool (not jacuzzi!)

We stayed for our mini honeymoon and we loved it.

The only recommendations are they need to upgrade their room carpet and bedding. It is kind of 90s, and they need to provide better quality towels.

Room was clean and spacious. Virginia beach is awesome, I know because I am a local.

I really enjoyed this suite.

Room Tip: Come in Sept for the sand castle competitions and nice weather.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ohtempus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed at the Schooner again for a few nights after Labor Day. You just can't beat this place for location. You can easily walk to a number of very good restaurants and the best section of beach is right at your door. The rooms are clean enough, the beds are comfortable, the tv's are decent and the ac is fairly quiet and cool. We stayed in one of the first floor rooms which also feature a small kitchen area that is all you need for a few nights. We have stayed here many times and you just can't beat the price for these rooms after Labor Day.

If you're looking for a comfortable beach spot, the Schooner is hard to beat.

I would give this hotel a five spot but I left an item in the room (my bad) and when I called later in the day I was told the maid staff found nothing. Honesty would have gone a long way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Grove City, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

It is at the far end of the boardwak near Rudee Inlet so it is quieter then some locations. Most rooms have a view of the ocean. Other then the first floor they have private balconies.We had a kitchenette in our room so we were able to prepare some meals in our room. Our boys reported a problem with the swimming pool grate to the front desk. They replaced it within the hour. I was very impressed by that with it being reported by teens. The staff was all very friendly and we had a great stay. The only thing I didn't like was the small beds. I got exactly what I reserved but I have a king at home so sharing a double was hard. This was our second stay at the Schooner Inn and I would have a hard time staying anywhere else if I was in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

It's always interesting to me the difference in opinions on here. Two people can stay in the same place, same time and you wouldn't know it! We had a wonderful weekend at Schooner Inn. Lee helped us check in and answered many questions while we were there. Will was also very helpful. We never passed an employee who did not speak to us. Housekeeping was very accommodating. The room was great, we had two beds, a table and four chairs, fridge, microwave, stovetop, coffee pot and toaster. Plenty of dishes and silverware also. Room was large and balcony was larger than most I have seen in the newer hotels. Much more of a family feel than some of the huge swanky resorts. We enjoy the south end of the beach, it is much quieter, but only a shuttle away if you want to go up to the North Beaches.. Also, enjoy being near Waterman's(yummy hushpuppies) and Sunnyside(delicious breakfast!). If you want to take a short drive down to Sandbridge, check out Margie and Ray's! We loved the Schooner Inn and hope to go back soon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Maple Grove, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Three of us girls went on a week vacation to schooner inn despite all of the bad reviews. It was the best vacation ever. the hotel is right off the jetty where all the surfers are. you have a quite beach and are walking distance to restaurants and everything else. in the back parking lot was a circus tent and the show was amazing, no animals all acrobats. as for the hotel itself, it was as old looking as the pictures, but it was clean and wasn't run down. they were also in the process of remodeling the rooms. the staff as very nice and helpful 24/7. And the air conditioner worked great, never woke up in a sweat like some of the reviews, and the room was always cool. the view of the ocean was great. security entrances and a safe in the room to put things when out on the beach for extra security. now all you need is to go to any local bar at order orange crushes and cheesy bacon fries, shrimp and ousters with the locals. Burtons has amazing food and drinks and cheap too. you'd have to drive 10 min buts its worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bachmanjessica
Arezzo, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

It's ok. People at the front desk are nice, good position, at the end of Virginia Beach. Just take the room Ocean view or don't go.
Parking is included, the swimming pool in the middle of the highway.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank sifab
Galveston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

This was a nice hotel with small kitchenett and beach front balconey. Price a bit high for what it is but this is the high season and beach front. Check in was not til 4:00pm and we took the train so had no car, they let us store our luggage til check out time, which was very nice.
The elevator had kind of a smell to it but it was always wet with sand in it also. The bathroom had a bit of mold around the walls, I am sure to the high humidity.
My main problem was that when we asked for a 6:oo am wake up call, we never got the wake up call :( So I missed the wonderful sunrise. All in all it was better than some but not as good as others. I would most likely stay here again but will bring my own alarm clock.
The laundry was out of order and I spent money for soap with was empty and the staff did not do a thing about it.

Room Tip: Stary on th 4th floor or higher. Do not expect a wake up call.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family