“Off the Beaten Path in Virginia Beach”

Blue Pete's Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 1,431 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: BLUE PETE'S Restaurant is a local's landmark for casual dining on the edge of beautiful Back Bay in Virginia Beach. Visit once, and you're a friend. Visit twice, and you're family... And believe me, you'll be back once you taste the Sweet Potato Biscuits! BLUE PETE'S is locally owned and operated by twin brothers Nick and Aristotle, and is an ideal site for business meetings by day, family dinner by night, and kicking back to live music once the sun goes down. We look forward to serving you!
Philadelphia, PA
“Off the Beaten Path in Virginia Beach”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We spent Thanksgiving at Sandbridge, just south of Virginia Beach in 2013. One evening we took 10 adults and 4 kids to Blue Pete's for dinner. It was a great choice! Food was pretty good, service was fine. We had mostly seafood that was well prepared from a pretty broad menu. This is a an out-of the-way place that is informal and relaxing. I would recommend it for casual dining.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank WGK_traveler
Blue P, Owner at Blue Pete's Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
We are so glad you stumbled upon our local's secret. We hope to serve your family again soon! Happy New Year from our family to yours!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Make the trip out of town”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stumbled upon this resturaunt while on vacation, and just going for a drive in the Back Bay area. After checking reviews on several sites, we decided to try it. It was one of the best finds on this vacation.

The tuna steak in the sandwich was big enough to be an entree. And it was very good tasting! The service was very good. The owner stopped by to see how we were enjoying his resturaunt, and visit with us for a bit.

I didn't say anything about the setting because, although we found Blue Pete's during the day, we ate there after dark, and could not enjoy the deck. HOWEVER, we will be back next summer and will make the trip to eat al fresco.

• Visited October 2013
So glad you enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to serving you this summer, on our deck overlooking the bay. The view is spectacular!
New York State
“The Locals' Secret”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Out in the middle of nowhere is an oasis of outstanding food and outstanding service. Friendly and attentive staff, and owners who enjoy chatting up the customers and making you feel as if you are right at home. You were not rushed to finish your dinner and leave, and we were able to sit enjoy the ambiance long after our dinner was finished. if you find yourself in Virginia Beach, I highly recommend you take the time to find Blue Pete's.

Norfolk, Virginia, USA
“Great Back Bay ambiance”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Blue Pete's is perfect for boaters, locals and Sandbridge renters. The food and service are excellent. The entire Blue Pete team cares about its customers/guests. Everyone hustles to ensure each guest receives excellent service with a smile,

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Don N
New York City, New York
“Run don't Walk to this restaurant”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I wrote a review on yelp and liked this place so much, I decided to post my review a few more places. More people should know about it. Yes, it's in Pungo...yes that may be a bit of a drive but GO. I was back in Va Beach for a HS reunion and really wanted some good seafood. I now live in NYC and believe it or not, I can't find great seafood here so I was determined that no matter what, that was something I'd accomplish when back in Va Beach and boy was I right.

My fiance and I tried a place on the oceanfront our first night...the meal was overpriced, the service...spotty. There were too many tables for the servers to be able to be attentive to our needs and the food that came out was...anemic at best. The scallops and shrimp were flavorless...bland...white in color. I was shocked that so many people seemed to like the food! (We were at Waterman's in case you were wondering.) I felt just as bland after eating some of it. I couldn't stomach finishing the meal.

So, the next day we drove to Pungo. It was less than 20 min. Here in the city, people are used to traveling anywhere from 10 min to 2 hours just to get to work each day so a drive of 20 min is nothing out of the ordinary but I feel like people in Va Beach are so used to just eating within a certain radius of their homes that they aren't willing to venture out. For a good meal people should plan to go where the grub is and this drive wasn't bad at all! More people should come out.

We met one of the owners, Aristotle, who was such a genuinely nice and passionate person and you can see his passion evident in the atmosphere and food. The food wasn't fancy it didn't pretend to be something it wasn't. It was just really solid bold flavoured food. The way food SHOULD be. Everything was made from scratch, from the cookies that came with our coffee to the mashed potatoes to the sauce for dipping. Home made and full of yummy goodness. The price point for the meal was small in comparison. I was surprised it wasn't busier but we came out at lunch and again, people in the area just don't seem to travel to Pungo for good but you should guys!

If you haven't, give this joint a try. I seriously doubt you will be disapointed. Aristotle, if you're reading this...thank you for your hospitality for your food and for taking a chance by making this place about the food not just about being a cool place to kick back with a cold one.

Thanks and we'll be back!
Michele