“Best meal ever!”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: BLUE PETE'S Restaurant is a local's landmark for casual dining on the edge of beautiful Back Bay in Virginia Beach. Visit once, and you're a friend. Visit twice, and you're family... And believe me, you'll be back once you taste the Sweet Potato Biscuits! BLUE PETE'S is locally owned and operated by twin brothers Nick and Aristotle, and is an ideal site for business meetings by day, family dinner by night, and kicking back to live music once the sun goes down. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Hands down that was the best meal I've ever had at a restaurant. Excellent artichoke dip with homemade pita chips, very fresh salads with excellent dressings, outstanding mahi, and best of all crab stuffed flounder with a cream of crab sauce on top. Every ingredient was fresh and cooked to perfection! Thanks for making our 20th wedding anniversary celebration great!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

What a wonderful place for families to gather and eat! The food is delicious, the service very good, but the atmosphere is awesome! As a part of 9 we are sitting, Outside and enjoying watching people drive up in their boats, families fishing and just hav ing a great time. This was my favorite spot to eat in Virginia beach! kudos!

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My wife had dinner on Saturday evening and we could not have asked for better service and delicious entrées. Highly recommend!!!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Blue Pete's is tucked in on a water inlet in South Virginia Beach/Pungo/Sandridge area. Stopped in on a Sunday for lunch and looked like your usual locals place in the area with solid seafood options (I had the fried oyster sandwich) and friendly service. Food and atmosphere was worth going out of our way for & the meal was enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had read the reviews on TripAdvisor for Blue Pete's, and I looked at their website, so we were really looking forward to our meal there. Having just arrived after slogging through Thursday evening rush hour, we had not made reservations. I called ahead, and asked if I could make a reservation for a party of 3, but was told they were no longer accepting them. I asked if they were too busy to accommodate us, but the girl assured me that I shouldn't have a problem, since we were a small party.

When we arrived, the restaurant was bustling, and we were told the wait would be 45 minutes. We decided to go to the bar area for awhile. The bartender was obviously slammed, but handled everything well. There was a hostess/busgirl who rolled her eyes at the bartender and stalked off when she didn't get the answer she wanted...I thought that was a bit unprofessional, but she was very young, as was all of the staff.

After about an hour, we went to check on the status of table availability with the two hostesses. They seemed flustered and uncomfortable, and said that they had been told not to seat any more people, because the kitchen was overwhelmed. I asked them how long they thought this would be the case, and they apologized and said that they did not know, and they weren't supposed to give any definite time. To their credit, they offered us sweet potato biscuits, but we declined.

We decided to wait in the tiny hostess/bathroom area by the front door, to keep tabs on table availability. There was an older man who seemed to be directing the hostesses; he was unfriendly and almost surly towards us. Their website says that twin brothers own the restaurant, but this man was clearly the one in charge. I asked a staff member if this man was their father, and that was confirmed. Dad is definitely running this ship.

We understood that the restaurant was extremely busy, and that we had to wait. We were told more than once that we would be the next table seated. During the second hour of standing up and waiting for this elusive table, various people came into the restaurant, said hello to the hostesses as if they were old friends, and proceeded to walk back into the restaurant unaccompanied. I suspect they were local or regular customers. Then, a party of five came in who had a reservation. They were immediately seated ahead of us.

We asked again how much longer it would be before we would get a table. The two girls said sheepishly that they did not know, and checked with the kitchen periodically to see if the situation had changed. About an hour and 45 minutes after we had first asked for a table, we heard loud noises and cursing from the kitchen, clearly audible to patrons at the front door. Shortly after that, a waitress pulled one of the hostesses aside and quietly said that the party of five that had been seated ahead of us still had not been served at their table, and they had been waiting for almost an hour.

After hearing that, we were done. We left.

We went five minutes down the road and saw a humble looking place in a strip mall where we stopped to try to get a meal, as we were ravenous at this point. We were seated immediately, fed a delicious meal, and treated with respect.

If Blue Pete's doesn't start treating the parties of three and five with the same respect that they do the parties of 13 and 19, I suspect they won't last long. Too bad. We were really looking forward to seeing what they had to offer.

3  Thank Ellen H