“Very nice resort”

Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Very nice resort”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed in Oceanaire resort for five nights, 7-23-2012 through 7-28-2012. It is a very nice resort. It is a new resort, and the rooms are new, clean and modern. I was excepting that since the resort opened the doors few months ago. I was very impressed with the staff . It was very friendly and helpful. I had to call the reservation because I have a question and the girl that I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. I was little bit skeptical about the resort and price that I was paying , but after talking with her my skepticism went away.
The resort is right on the boardwalk and it is walking distance to restaurants and shops. Try Sophias cross the street or the Mayflower café on the 34th the street. I just want to mention that the resort has free WI-FI only in the lobby, but we used the data phone . I will stay in this resort any time that I will visit Virginia Beach.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
McKeesport
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at Oceanaire the week of July 16th. We enjoyed our stay so much that we will book our next vacation in VA Beach there as well! The staff was pleasant, the rooms are well equipped and tastefully decorated. The location is perfect and the amenities numerous. Bravo Oceanaire!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy T
Reviewed 3 August 2012 via mobile

First of all I would like to say I do not know why anyone would write one single bad review because this is the best place I have ever stayed. Iv never wrote a review before but I could not wait to write this one!! First of all the location is great lots air food and shopping within walking distance. The bellboys were all outstanding especially Ken. I feel really bad that I do not remember the rest of there names because they are all just wonderful. The two lady's that came to clean are room were just darling so friendly and did a wonderful job of cleaning the room. This is also the cleanest resort I have ever seen they are always cleaning, cleaning the windows, pools, and rooms!! Everyone was so friendly throughout the whole resort. The tiki bar outside had great food. I have only a few complaints but everything else certainly made up for it. The parking costs $7 a day for self parking and $14 for valet. It is about a two minute walk to the parking garage which was not bad at all and parking is hard to find during the day because everyone going to the beach and discovery center are also parking in there. We did also find a spot to park though everyday and every time we left. The pool area was beautiful. The kids have two pools to swim in both nice sizes one indoor one out. Both big. The 21 and over adult pool indoors was the best pool I have ever seen and so relaxing. The outside pool for everyone could have a been alittle bit bigger with more chairs but I guess it was made as big as it could be considering the location. Also we hade to make sure to pull our door tight to the room because it did not close by itself. No biggie. We always had shampoo from the hotel. Always had a clean room and towels. Another thing to keep in mind is they do not offer a breakfast but there is a great breakfast place called pocohantas across the street! The washing machines are on the even number floor one washer one dryer which was not a problem for me because no one else was using them :) I had a wonderful stay I did not want to leave! Cannot wait to go back next year!! Everything and everyone was so wonderful!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Missy0112
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Ocean Aire June 25th-30th 2012. The hotel itself is beautiful. The valet staff were very friendly and helpful. It kind of ends there. I booked the room as part of the grand opening special buy 4 nights get one free. I inadvertently booked 4 nights rather than 5. After checking in I realized my mistake and went to the front desk where I was greated by a rather rude employee. She told me to contact reserverations by phone and they told me no problem he'd add the free night. Once he realized I had already check in he told me he couldn't change the reservation but assured me it wasn't a problem and instructed me to contact a manager who could add the free night. Management refused to add the free night and I had to pay for the additional night. The house keeping staff clearly needs training. We used their shampoo the first night and they never replaced it throughout our stay. They had beach towels in the rooms which we left on the floor with the regular used towels and although we got clean bath towels we never got any clean beach towels, we had the same 4 dirty beach towels all week. They never replaced the toilet paper and our last morning there we ran out and couldn't use the restroom before we left for our drive home. Our room door did not close on it's own, it had to be physically pushed shut, which we were aware of and careful about, but each day the housekeeping staff left the door ajar so when we returned to our room it wasn't locked. I notified the manager since this is a safety issue but the issue was never resolved. The week we were there one of the two elevators was constantly out of order, so we had to wait for an elevator pretty consistantly. After we returned home I got a nice form letter e-mail from from reservations Ocean Aire stating they hoped we enjoyed our stay but if we had any issues to please reply to them, which I did but then never heard back from them. A few days later I got another computer generated letter from Bruce Thompson President, Professional Hospitality Resources, Inc asking me to complete a survey, which I did and I still never got any response. I contacted Gold Key resorts and spoke to a very nice young man who assured me that they were interested in my feedback and he was concerned about my complaints and assured me he would let his supervisor know and that he was sure the supervisor would call me, which never happened. So although this hotel/time share has great potential I suggest people go elsewhere until Management gets it together and learns how to respond to consumers.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mchristy1
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We had a great time in this resort. You have one bell boy named Nick that is OUTSTANDING! he goes beyond his duty to make sure everything is done right. Your housekeeping department is lacking leadership and is slacking off. Coffee maker was never washed. coffee and soap was not replenished on a regular basis. the toilet was not cleaned one day. we were extremely disappointing with the lack of care of housekeeping. even after complaining, things did not get better. Daniel the manager was FANTASTIC and very customer oriented. everything was done right except housekeeping. Our room was never done properly after we left for the day.

Room Tip: do not stay in the corner rooms with a porch that is right above all the noisy ac equipment. we coul...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jack O
Chesterfield, Michigan
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My family ( myself, hubby and 2 daughters(ages 9&13)), stayed here from July 22-27th. It's beautiful! My mouth was literally hanging open when I saw the room! White leather dining room chairs ( the table sat 6 comfortably), silestone kitchen counters, stainless steel appliances, double sinks in the bathroom with granite tops. Very art-deco modern look to it.There are 2 flat screen TV's in the suite- 1 in the bedroom and one in the family room, each with a blu-ray player.
Now onto the cons:: The pool area is very small, especially considering that the Oceanaire shares the pool with the Beach Club ( it's sisiter property) next door.Forget about getting a lounge chair if you come out past 8am, they're all "marked" with towels by then. Only 1 day did I see a pool attendant place notes on the beach chairs that if they were left unattended for more than a 1/2 hour, the items on the chair would be removed so another guest could use them. The other days we were there,items sat on the chairs for hours, with no one removing them.The kids pool is MUCH warmer than the adult pool, but has these raised- up filter things on the bottom surface that everyone kept stubbing their toes on.Housekeeping was iffy. 75% of the time, they came to clean the room at 4:30 in the afternoon, just as everyone was coming up from the ocean to shower and go out to dinner.I also didn't like the fact that the laundry is on every other floor, and there is only 1 washer and 1 dryer on these floors. For a "5 star" ( as the bell hops kept telling me) hotel, there should be laundry facilites on each floor, with more than 1 washer in each.There was plenny of room in our 1 bedroom suite to put a small stackable washer/dryer combo.There is a small balcony off the bedroom, it would have been nice to have one off of the family room.If you don't plan on washing dishes every day, bring disposable plates and utensils because there is only service for 4.
Pros:: The bar off of the lobby has great expresso martinis!, The location is nice( at the far end of the beach-there's only a few more hotels past this one), the pools are on the ground level( some of the places we checked out had a roof-top pool), it's right on the beach, the employees are very nice and friendly . The 21 and over adult pool has a scalding hot hot-tub with a beautiful fire pit with rocking chairs around it. Even tough our room was cleaned late, they did a nice job.
I went to the Ocean Beach Club next door-this is where we originally booked, but when my hubby got an email from Oceanaire, we decided to switch to here. The Oeanaire was about $75 more a day than the Beach Club, but after seeing a model room at the Beach Club, I know why. The Oceanaire rooms are more spacious and of course, newer.I like how the sink and large counter area face the family room at Oceanaire. We had a 5th night free special, so that made staying here a little more affordable.

2 Thank Meredith8171
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband, our 10 month old and I picked this hotel for our first vacation as a family.

Brand new hotel, opened for about a month, not all floors were completed upon our stay. Floors 11 to 18 were still under completion, but that did not cause us any trouble.

We picked a ocean view 1 bedroom suite. I called in a few days before and asked for a room that would not be facing the Ocean Beach Club (the sister neighbour hotel). We arrived before 1pm and were allowed to register for check-in, but they would call us when our room would be ready, which they did about 90 minutes later.

Because of our early arrival, they kept our luggage on a cart in a closed area while we wondered around.

The parking is a 2 minute walk from the hotel's entrance and we were told that it was included in the price of our stay. If I understand my husband correctly the valet service was an extra $7/day though it might be $14/day. The parking is 8 levels, so parking yourself has the risk of you having to go up and down each time you use your car. The valet service was quick each time we needed our car. If you are not going to use your car during your stay, don't bother with valet, otherwise we enjoyed it.

We were granted our wish and got our ocean view suite north facing. I recommend north facing as there are no buildings obstructing the view, at least not from the 6th floor which is where our room was located. There was a large wall to wall, floor to ceiling window in the living area, and a large patio door with covered balcony in the bedroom. Both had a beautiful view of the ocean. Previous comments have stated they didn't get the room they wanted. I suggest checking-in early in the day. I'm guessing first come first serve in terms of room availability.

The unit was clean and everything is brand new. Kitchen has full size appliances including at dishwasher. Although there aren't enough dishes to be worth using it.

The bedroom was spacious enough to have our pack'n play in there with plenty of room to move around the bedroom. They don't have cribs, only pack'n play so we just brought ours from home.

There are flat screen TV's in the bedroom and living area, and there is a queen sofa-bed. They have cable including HBO, however the digital signal did tend to freeze for a second or two once in a while. It was very hot and humid so we spent a good amount of time inside resting while baby napped, so we enjoyed the cable.

The bathroom connects to both the living area and the bedroom and has double sinks. I wished they had a hand held shower head to help rinsing the tub of excess sand after a trip to the beach. It was hard to get rid of it and keep it clean. Also, the shower curtain was starting to have mold spots, they should really get some better ones. It was so humid outside it was really hard to dry towels after each use, I'm sure that didn't help the curtain. I'm not sure the fan was powerful enough for the room.

WIFI is available in rooms for 4.95/day or 29.95 for the week (free in the lobby which is minuscule). This was a big disappointment. This is a premium hotel where you pay premium bucks, WIFI should be complimentary. It didn't even work well the signal was very weak. I took the weekly service just so I wouldn't have to re-purchase everyday even though we were only staying 5 nights.

The hallway was designed nicely so that there was only 2 doors in our area, a little further away from the main hallway. It was quiet even though we were 10 steps from the elevator. The 2 bedroom suite is actually a 1 bedroom suite with a connecting room. We had a door into our unit connecting to the next door room and we could hear some noise through there. Not a big deal, but would have preferred better sound proof. The hotel has laundry facilities or vending/ice machines on alternating floors. There are 2 nice elevators, but that makes me wonder if it'll be enough once they are fully open. We didn't have to wait long but I can see this possibly becoming an annoyance in the future.

The hotel's only pool and lounge is for adults only. However the 2 outdoor pools and the indoor pool of the Ocean Beach Club are children friendly and accessible to the OceanAire clients. It is designed in a way that you don't even notice it is part of another building since the pool yard connects directly with both hotels and they appear to be the same building at first glance. The pool water was a little too warm for my taste and not quite refreshing enough with temperatures reaching the 90's plus humidity.

All the employees were really polite and the hotel is right on the beach. You walk out, cross the boardwalk and you're there. There's an outdoor shower in the pool yard to remove excess sand from your feet, and the door to the pool yard is unlocked by your room card key.

This hotel belongs to a big group, and a lot of things around (shops and restaurants) belongs to them. their brochures tend to advertise these. The grocery store is about 10 minutes walk from the lobby but can be a tad pricey. If you have a GPS or venture further on Laskin Rd, there are bigger ones that are less expensive. Browse the web for interesting restaurants in the area to find good eats other than the tourist traps.

Virginia Beach has a military base near by, and there were many noisy jets passing by everyday. Just so you should be warned but from inside our unit, we weren't bothered.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. If they hadn't had the 5th night free, I don't think we would have gone there since it is very pricey, but we are quite happy to have stayed there and would recommend it.

Room Tip: North Facing if picking an ocean view room.
7 Thank apluk