All reviewsocean beach clubadult poolfire pitsun deckfull kitchenfront deskocean view suitebeautiful resortbuilding next doorgold keysister hoteldaily housekeepingself parkingbedroom unitvalet servicetimeshare exchangehot tub
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Hotel still under construction... should not be open to public yet. Customer service horrible and unattentive. They tried to change rates on us even with our confirmation #. Hotel is in flight pattern for VA Naval Training Base.. fighter jets flying overhead every 2 minutes. Left early... could not stand run around from front desk.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank S D
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I choose this property because it was advertised as new, and they were advertising a buy 4 nights and get one free special. I selected an ocean suite and paid full in advance to get the special. When I arrived with family after a 7 hour drive the room was not ready - this was 1 hour after the check-in time. About 45 minutes later they called to say the room was ready. When we arrived the room was not ocean front. I refused to accept and went back to the front desk. After another 30 minutes the hotel manager came out and apologized and informed me that he was taking a model out of service and giving to me, kind of made me feel like he was doing me a favor. While waiting in the lobby, I spoke with someone with the title of General Manager on his name tag - he didnt know what time check-in was. When we got there it was just two adjoining non-ocean front rooms - one a suite and the other a regular room. I paid $1979 in advance for 5 nights. We normally dont pay this kind of money for a hotel/resort and when we do I expect high standards of service.

There was lots of noise throughout our stay with ongoing construction on the floor above ours and music from the owner lounge which our room adjoined. The decor is very nice and the room was comfortable, but nothing over the top. I never complained to the staff there at the hotel further as the point of going there was to relax while on vacation. They caused stress to me and my family, I will never return, and I will tell everyone I know considering Va. Beach not to go to this property or any other one owned or operated goldkey resorts. One day during our stay, the resort manager - the same person who apologized to me in the hotel lobby - entered our room without knocking! My wife and I were both in the kitchen/living area when this happened. I am not sure what may have happened had I not been there - I most probably would have left and demanded a refund. He apologized profusely, but this is the person responsible for holding everyone else accountable.

Additionally, they are non-responsive to complaints from a corporate standpoint. They have the usual resort advertisement running on the TV inside the room and they take the time to say that the President of the company wants to know if there are any concerns or complaints, and provide contact information. I sent a detailed communication to this person and have yet to hear anything back. Here it is;

Dear President,

I am emailing to let you know of my experience at the Oceanaire Resort in Virginia Beach.

It has started quite disappointing. I made a reservation about 10 days before my time to vacation. I was required to pay in full in advance with no chance for a refund. I choose the 1 bedroom ocean front suite and paid about $2000 for 5 nights as noted below.
I drove 7 hours from a family get together in NJ.

Upon arrival @ 5 pm, I was informed that my room was not ready. The receptionist apologized and gave me a $50 gift certificate for dinner. About 45 minutes later I was told my room was ready. When I got there, it was not an ocean front suite. I took my family back to the front desk and refused this room. After this I was told it would be "fixed". After about 30 minutes, I went back to the desk to find out what the problem was.

A nice gentleman, Mr. Jason Neff, came out and told me he was sorry and the resort was taking one of their model units out of service to give me. He said it was very nice and I should be pleased. When I arrived at the room, it was a two bedroom suite, still not ocean front.

I choose ocean front so that I could sit on a balcony, look at, and listen to the ocean. That is not what I was given. I am not going to put my wife and son through further stress by complaining more. If I hadn't paid in full, I would have probably left-but then where would I go at the last minute? You have a captive audience.

The thing that really upsets me is that the staff here tried to peddle a lesser room to me than I paid for without acknowledging it. That is a lack of integrity, which is very poor.

Additionally, I had the opportunity to meet the general manager. He doesn't know what time check in is. That is the root of your problem. The front desk staff is poorly trained at customer service, they are not crisp and are not all polished. That is a symptom of the problem.

I am sending this from my smart phone because the wireless service you charge a daily rate for is not working.

I would submit that this property should not be open until you are ready to provide the service and experience you are charging for.

Stay away from Oceanaire Resort

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Very overpriced, non-responsive management and ownership. Sister property next door is Ocean Club. They simply built another building beside the one they had and did nothing to enlarge the pool - that is why they dont have enough pool space as noted on other reviews. Also, the company owns virtually every large resort in close proximity as well as many of the restaurants they advertise on the resort channel. I stayed away from them purposefully as they gave me a bad experience at the resort from the onset
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lee S
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Beware! Our room was not even ready for check in when we were approached to do a timeshare trip! We had just driven 7 hours and arrived at the hotel at 3pm. They tried to sign us up for a 4pm timeshare meeting.!!!!!
Doormen were excellent, full of information and always ready to help. Valet Parking is $14.00/night which I think is costly. Front desk not so cheery. We did not get maid service the second day, they said they were too busy. I chalk this up to a new place trying to get the bugs out. Our room was comfortable but space was very limited. We had an "oceanview" room. We did have a great view and a balcony to sit out on. Pools are crowded with the usual "lounge chair saving". People actually get up at 7 am to put a towel on the chairs! The chairs for the beach are not provided by the hotel-you must rent them and they collect the rentals at 5pm. We called ahead and a helpful person warned us-so we had our own beach chairs.
Overall there was nothing special about this place. I believe you will find the same at just about any hotel on the strip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank marsiak
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I chose this hotel because it was the newest beachfront property and had the 1 bedroom w/full kitchen suite option. I believe it is only 3 or 4 months old but is connected to it's sister property, Ocean Beach club, which is a few years old. In terms of surface appearance, it's obviously new and pretty clean, however, we experienced a musty, damp odor from our bathroom for the entire 4 days. We bought air freshners and sprayed, opened the patio door, but nothing helped. We mentioned it to the front desk, but they didn't do anything and we didn't make a big deal out of it, but it certainly was a disappointment considering it's supposed to be a new hotel.

I'll say that staff was pretty good inside the hotel--housekeeping, concierge, bellmen, etc. They were mostly friendly and pretty quick to deliver whatever we asked for. I found the outdoor pool and restaurant staff to be a little dimissive.

We did attend a timeshare presentation just out of curiousity, and they offered some decent incentives to sit for the 90 minute slot. The sales agent was fast and low pressure as promised, so comparted to Orlando and that whole timeshare scene, it was quite refreshing. Needless to say, we had no interest in buying.

I am a very picky hotel guest and am phobic when it comes to cleanliness and germs. This was new, so it alleviated some of my worries, but I have definitely stayed in better hotels/units. It's no 5 star hotel, but for Virginia Beach beachfront, it'll do.

I would probably stay again if I had to, but I believe I will try the Hilton down the block the next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank endicott1
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The valet parking is great since there are limited parking but very costly. I was told $7.00 when we checked in and to my dismay, i found out they charged me $14.00 when I checked out.The pool is always crowded and the food is very costly . They also will try to get you to buy timeshare so beware and be wise before you commit yourself.

• Stayed: August 2012