“A bit disappointing”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

After looking at this hotel online I was excited to stay there. Upon arrival we were greeted by the bellboys which were very friendly and helpful. The front desk and the concierge were also very helpful. Part of the disappointment started with the lack of on site parking. Didn't use the valet service because I trust no one to drive my truck. I walk back the block and a half and get to see our room. Our room looked exactly like the photographs online. Our interactions with the cleaning staff was top notch. Another disappointment with this hotel was the elevator service. I found only have two elevators for a hotel this size was unacceptable. I attempted to use the stairs only to find out there was no ground floor access. They were only to be used in the case of an emergency. Some of the issues I attributed to only
being open a few weeks, but some were too large to be overlooked.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Kmcdaniel77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I'm a family of four and stayed at Oceanaire this past week. What an experience. I book an oceanview room with two double beds. The rooms are so tiny that my family of four could not get comfortable. My oceanview room was of people standing on their balcony's at the hotel next to us (Ocean beach club). When you look down from your balcony you could see garbage dumpsters and porta pottys (gross). I can't understand how they charge the same rate for the south side of the hotel. IT DOESN'T HAVE A VIEW........ The pools are crowed and good luck finding a lounge chair.

3 Thank rosemary t
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Let me start off by saying it's a very nice property. It is right on the beach, and has a very nice view. But then again, it's only nice if you get that kind of room, because anything not facing the street is considered ocean view (how does that work?). When we got there, we argued with the manager Jason Neff, because we were told by reservations that we were booking a room with two queen beds, but we ended up getting a queen and a double. This wouldn't fit all four of us, but he just kept saying theres nothing he could do, so we let him sit on it for a few hours. We later came back, and decided to bargain with him to get it for half price (which is a FANTASTIC deal). So he wasn't to bad. But the next day we go to the beach, and they tell us the ran out of the hotel chairs, and we have rent them if they want them (while, i may say, stores across the street are selling the same chairs for cheaper). We then went inside to talk to the manager on duty about this, and this time it was "Jay". What a desbicable man. I wouldn't of cared if he just told me ill see what i can do for you and said he couldn't do anything, but he made wait for 45 minutes for him to come out of his office, to argue with me for thirty seconds, tell me he has other stuff to do, and walk away. I plan on writing a letter to corporate praising Jason for helping us, and complaining about Jay. But other than that, the hotel is beautiful and new, the other staff was great, the beach and pools were great (even though there's not much to do for a 16 year old) and VA beach is amazing. Also, the concierge only recommends restaurants owned by the hotel.

So overall, I'd stay away from the Oceanaire, there are much better hotels on Virginia beach .

Room Tip: ocean view does necessarily mean ocean view dont deal with jay
1 Thank jsuss414
Audubon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Hotel still under construction... should not be open to public yet. Customer service horrible and unattentive. They tried to change rates on us even with our confirmation #. Hotel is in flight pattern for VA Naval Training Base.. fighter jets flying overhead every 2 minutes. Left early... could not stand run around from front desk.

4 Thank S D
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I choose this property because it was advertised as new, and they were advertising a buy 4 nights and get one free special. I selected an ocean suite and paid full in advance to get the special. When I arrived with family after a 7 hour drive the room was not ready - this was 1 hour after the check-in time. About 45 minutes later they called to say the room was ready. When we arrived the room was not ocean front. I refused to accept and went back to the front desk. After another 30 minutes the hotel manager came out and apologized and informed me that he was taking a model out of service and giving to me, kind of made me feel like he was doing me a favor. While waiting in the lobby, I spoke with someone with the title of General Manager on his name tag - he didnt know what time check-in was. When we got there it was just two adjoining non-ocean front rooms - one a suite and the other a regular room. I paid $1979 in advance for 5 nights. We normally dont pay this kind of money for a hotel/resort and when we do I expect high standards of service.

There was lots of noise throughout our stay with ongoing construction on the floor above ours and music from the owner lounge which our room adjoined. The decor is very nice and the room was comfortable, but nothing over the top. I never complained to the staff there at the hotel further as the point of going there was to relax while on vacation. They caused stress to me and my family, I will never return, and I will tell everyone I know considering Va. Beach not to go to this property or any other one owned or operated goldkey resorts. One day during our stay, the resort manager - the same person who apologized to me in the hotel lobby - entered our room without knocking! My wife and I were both in the kitchen/living area when this happened. I am not sure what may have happened had I not been there - I most probably would have left and demanded a refund. He apologized profusely, but this is the person responsible for holding everyone else accountable.

Additionally, they are non-responsive to complaints from a corporate standpoint. They have the usual resort advertisement running on the TV inside the room and they take the time to say that the President of the company wants to know if there are any concerns or complaints, and provide contact information. I sent a detailed communication to this person and have yet to hear anything back. Here it is;

Dear President,

I am emailing to let you know of my experience at the Oceanaire Resort in Virginia Beach.

It has started quite disappointing. I made a reservation about 10 days before my time to vacation. I was required to pay in full in advance with no chance for a refund. I choose the 1 bedroom ocean front suite and paid about $2000 for 5 nights as noted below.
I drove 7 hours from a family get together in NJ.

Upon arrival @ 5 pm, I was informed that my room was not ready. The receptionist apologized and gave me a $50 gift certificate for dinner. About 45 minutes later I was told my room was ready. When I got there, it was not an ocean front suite. I took my family back to the front desk and refused this room. After this I was told it would be "fixed". After about 30 minutes, I went back to the desk to find out what the problem was.

A nice gentleman, Mr. Jason Neff, came out and told me he was sorry and the resort was taking one of their model units out of service to give me. He said it was very nice and I should be pleased. When I arrived at the room, it was a two bedroom suite, still not ocean front.

I choose ocean front so that I could sit on a balcony, look at, and listen to the ocean. That is not what I was given. I am not going to put my wife and son through further stress by complaining more. If I hadn't paid in full, I would have probably left-but then where would I go at the last minute? You have a captive audience.

The thing that really upsets me is that the staff here tried to peddle a lesser room to me than I paid for without acknowledging it. That is a lack of integrity, which is very poor.

Additionally, I had the opportunity to meet the general manager. He doesn't know what time check in is. That is the root of your problem. The front desk staff is poorly trained at customer service, they are not crisp and are not all polished. That is a symptom of the problem.

I am sending this from my smart phone because the wireless service you charge a daily rate for is not working.

I would submit that this property should not be open until you are ready to provide the service and experience you are charging for.

Stay away from Oceanaire Resort

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Very overpriced, non-responsive management and ownership. Sister property next...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lee S
Scranton, Pa
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Beware! Our room was not even ready for check in when we were approached to do a timeshare trip! We had just driven 7 hours and arrived at the hotel at 3pm. They tried to sign us up for a 4pm timeshare meeting.!!!!!
Doormen were excellent, full of information and always ready to help. Valet Parking is $14.00/night which I think is costly. Front desk not so cheery. We did not get maid service the second day, they said they were too busy. I chalk this up to a new place trying to get the bugs out. Our room was comfortable but space was very limited. We had an "oceanview" room. We did have a great view and a balcony to sit out on. Pools are crowded with the usual "lounge chair saving". People actually get up at 7 am to put a towel on the chairs! The chairs for the beach are not provided by the hotel-you must rent them and they collect the rentals at 5pm. We called ahead and a helpful person warned us-so we had our own beach chairs.
Overall there was nothing special about this place. I believe you will find the same at just about any hotel on the strip.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marsiak
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I chose this hotel because it was the newest beachfront property and had the 1 bedroom w/full kitchen suite option. I believe it is only 3 or 4 months old but is connected to it's sister property, Ocean Beach club, which is a few years old. In terms of surface appearance, it's obviously new and pretty clean, however, we experienced a musty, damp odor from our bathroom for the entire 4 days. We bought air freshners and sprayed, opened the patio door, but nothing helped. We mentioned it to the front desk, but they didn't do anything and we didn't make a big deal out of it, but it certainly was a disappointment considering it's supposed to be a new hotel.

I'll say that staff was pretty good inside the hotel--housekeeping, concierge, bellmen, etc. They were mostly friendly and pretty quick to deliver whatever we asked for. I found the outdoor pool and restaurant staff to be a little dimissive.

We did attend a timeshare presentation just out of curiousity, and they offered some decent incentives to sit for the 90 minute slot. The sales agent was fast and low pressure as promised, so comparted to Orlando and that whole timeshare scene, it was quite refreshing. Needless to say, we had no interest in buying.

I am a very picky hotel guest and am phobic when it comes to cleanliness and germs. This was new, so it alleviated some of my worries, but I have definitely stayed in better hotels/units. It's no 5 star hotel, but for Virginia Beach beachfront, it'll do.

I would probably stay again if I had to, but I believe I will try the Hilton down the block the next time.

3 Thank endicott1