All reviews ocean beach club adult pool sun deck full kitchen beautiful resort building next door gold key bedroom suite sister hotel north side daily housekeeping self parking valet service timeshare exchange across the street dining table hot tub
Reviewed 31 August 2012

First and foremost is service with a smile and OceanAire staff has it all day and night. I travel 20+ weeks a year and normally I can't wait to get home, not my last trip. I did not want to leave, great pools, great beach, Great rooms. Great Hotel.

Room tip: One bedroom suites are the way to go. Full kitchen, fully stocked with pots and pans. Eat one meal a day in your room and you'll offset the extra cost.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We booked a stay at the Oceanaire using the stay 4 nights get the 5th free deal. We booked the Oceanfront room, paying more because we wanted to see the ocean and have a balcony that looked out at the ocean. We drove up and the bell staff unloaded our car. We checked in and he took our stuff to our room and as soon as we walked in we knew we were given the wrong room with a view of the Sheraton and not the ocean. He left our stuff on the cart and told us to let him know when we get our room straitened out and he will come back (very courteous.) The front desk girl told us that the wrong room was the call centers mistake. Not our problem. The manager, Josh, got on the phone and offered us $50 off a night. Honestly, we would not have stayed here for that though because we wanted oceanfront. We understood that he did not have any oceanfront rooms but wanted them to move us when one became available so after the first 2 nights the manager said he could move us to an oceanfront one bedroom and showed us a similar model room. The model room although a big, impressive room did not have ideal views but we were guaranteed our room would be better. It definitely was. I couldn't have asked for a better room. So although we were not happy with the room the first 2 nights this room was beyond what we would have needed with a full kitchen and beautiful floor to ceiling windows that looked at the beach. We made breakfast at the room in the morning and sat on the balcony. It was great.
A couple other things that should be mentioned. The valet is $14 a day. We just stayed with the $7 a day parking and walked a short distance to our car. No big deal. I do think that they shouldn't charge you per day for valet when you really are not getting your car each day. Just a suggestion for the hotel though. Another annoying thing, they said the concierge had a welcome pack for us. We knew their gimmick was to get you to do a timeshare presentation so were cautious and just got the welcome pack and left. It was a book similar to the one we picked up at the local drug store. Do not bother with the welcome pack. Do not ask the concierge for restaurant ideas because they will only plug their own restaurants. Due to our room mix up the manager had also given us a gift certificate to their restaurants and we went to the Catch 31 which was very good. It was pricey but we had a $75 gift certificate and the oysters rockefeller was really good.
Another comment I would like to make is about the maid staff. The room was very new and for the most part clean. But the maid knocked on the door at 9 AM until we woke up and answered. Good thing we had a bolt lock on or they probably would have walked in. They then slipped something under our door to say that we did not want our room cleaned and to call if we needed anything. They should have waited and come back at 11. Sometimes people want to sleep in on vacation!
The pool is beautiful and was great during the rainy days. I loved that it was over 21. You can also use the Ocean Beach club pools but they were geared towards children so it was nice to have a pool for the adults. One improvement that could be made at the pool is that the staff should patrol the pool area and remove any towels that sit on the chairs for a long time. Some people are not as considerate as we are and leave stuff there all day. We saw people looking for places to put their stuff and offered to share our mini chair. This was only an issue on the days when it rained because otherwise the glass doors were open to the outside with plenty more chairs available.
When we packed up our stuff we asked for a luggage cart to be brought to our room. We wanted to pack our own things on the cart. The guy left it with us to pack ourselves with out a problem. When we got downstairs, someone who we assumed was a manager of the valet men, seemed a little upset because we did not follow the hotels policy. They are not supposed to leave the carts in our room. If that is what is easier for the guest then they should allow that. We still tipped the guy that brought it to our room and he was very helpful the whole time.
Overall the hotel is beautiful. The room they put us in after complaining was so impressive that if I lived closer I would have considered a timeshare (or sitting through their presentation that we would not even let them tell us about.) Make sure you tell them if they put you in the wrong room and don't overpay for something less! Josh was helpful in getting that resolved after a little arguing but overall very helpful. The one other person that stood out to us was the bellman that we dealt with throughout our stay, Brandon. He was a really nice guy and great for useful recommendations. I would stay here again for sure.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank BroadStreetBullies
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My family stayed for 5 nights last week and driving up to the hotel we were quite impressed! It is beautiful!

The doormen/valet were super friendly however they needed more manpower. We arrived at 6pm after a 6 hour drive and there was a line of cars to unload/park that was 8 deep. I left my husband and kids in the car while I ran in to check-in. There was only 1 poor woman at the desk and she was swamped. I waited at least 30 minutes to check-in, but she was very friendly and apologetic. I ran back out to my husband and told him to do valet so we could get 3 very tired and cranky kids upstairs. It was quite expensive ($14/day) but I felt it was worth it for our situation.

We had a ocean-view suite and while it was beautiful, it was cramped for the 5 of us. As some other reviews state, it was ocean-view when I looked out and to the left, but when I looked straight I saw the Ocean Beach Club and when I looked down I saw dumpsters and porta-pottys.

The room was very clean however the faucet on our bathtub was broken, it fell off the wall anytime you touched it. The cleaning people said they would tell maintenance, but apparently never did as my husband ended up fixing it himself on the 3rd day.

We asked the concierge for recommendations for family-friendly dining and he only referred us to restaurants owned by the hotel. However, the places within walking distance to the hotel are fabulous!

They advertised a business center but told my husband they didn't have one when he asked. The pools were nice. We spent the mornings at the beach and the evenings at the pool and never had trouble finding chairs. The folding chairs on the beach are free but you do need to get up early to save them.

It was a nice hotel and I am hoping they are still working out the kinks since it just opened. I do plan on going back and giving it one more try.

1  Thank dvonherb
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Pros
Friendly service from the staff, room was ready early, room was kept clean, beach area was clean, grounds were kept clean and landscaped
Cons
Parking fee was high and a 2 block walk $7.00 per day walking and $14.00 per day valet, room was supposed to be ocean view, but should be called other building and dumpster view, loud generator would run on occasion outside the building, pools were very small and overcrowded, elevators very slow or not enough of them, room had an odor of glue or adhesive for the first couple days, we were supposed to have a king bed, but ended up being a double, maybe a queen and check out took over an hour, couldn’t get a cart or a hop, we got put on a waiting list. They need to space out the check-out times to eliminate this wait. We started to carry our own bags out when they arrived with a cart.

A lot more cons than pros, so it is impossible to give a good review
Below Average

3  Thank bjplmp
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a combination timeshare/hotel property. We booked two oceanfront rooms with the special book 5 nights, get 1 free rate for an average rate of $199 per night.

PROS: The hotel is new and the lobby and rooms are really nice. Hotel is clean and well maintained. Staff is friendly and helpful. Hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc.

CONS: Rooms are a bit cramped. Pool deck is a bit small and not enough lounge chairs. Housekeeping was not great -- rooms were not cleaned in a timely fashion. Guests have to pay $7 per day to park in a lot across the street.

All in all, this is a very nice beachfront hotel and I would definitely return if the price is right.

Room tip: Request a room on the north side of the building facing the pool deck/ocean.
2  Thank JULES821