“Spring Break Vacation”

Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Spring Break Vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Ok this place is brand new! You can still smell the new scent! Lets start with the room. My view was ocean view and I fought for my north side view. This meant I did not have to look at the resort across the street. Yess The full kitchen has everything you need to make a meal or have a drink! We cooked breakfast some mornings and it saved us money ...and we didn't have to get dressed! The restroom was great! We had two sinks and a jacuzzi tub! The restroom was not small and you didn't feel claustrophobic. The living room and dining room were a little busy. However, it served its purpose. I would sit on the couch and watch the ocean during the day and the night. The problem I had with this resort was the BEDs!!! It's no way those beds were a queen size..it felt like a full! The room is HUGE so I really wonder why the beds were so small! This really might make me think twice about staying here. The purpose of having a vacation is the chance to enjoy your rest :)

*** I did have one incident while in my room. I was getting dressed when I noticed someone was trying to come in my room and opened the door and then shut it right away. I was a little thrown off and felt very violated. I was also a bit ticked that I had to contact management about the situation. However, it seems they knew about it upon calling me back. They said sorry on the behalf of the man that barged in. If something like this happens to a guest I would expect management to contact me ahead of time!!!!!! ****

Ok now the amenities! In this building they have a indoor pool( adult only). The pool and giant jacuzzi were nice and hot! The chorine was a little strong for my skin. I could only use it once. They also have these fire pits right outside the pool. It's so beautiful sitting outside and watching the ocean while sitting in a rocking chair. The other thing they have is a sun deck on the 10th floor. It's full of chairs and another fire pit. It's also a huge lounge room before you get on the sun deck. This room had TVs and a bar area:)

If you want to use the gym you have to go next door. It was very nice and clean. The best part was the beautiful view you took in while working out. You have a full view of the ocean!

This is not a resort for kids!!!! I would suggest you stay next door. I saw and talked to people with kids and they were not very happy:( Its nothing for them to do sadly.

Oh and they have a Martini Bar on the first floor as well. It looked beautiful and the drinks looked great. They have a happy hour as well. I didn't have a chance to try because I made my drink upstairs;)

The location was great as far as walking and sightseeing.

Would I return.....maybe in the off season! I had a awesome deal through their website ( Buy 3 nights get one free) I ended up with two nights free because of the length of my stay! I went online and I saw this place is like 800 a night in July.....NOT worth it to me!

Enjoy the review folks!!!!

Room Tip: If you have to get a room that is Ocean View and not Ocean Front ...DO NOT get one on the south side...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asha T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
Glenside, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

If you are booking your gold key promotional package, and are travelling with anyone under 21, avoid this apartment building. This is not a resort hotel as it is listed. It is not family friendly.

Here is a partial list of complaints: We never slept comfortably. The beds are not queen sized, they are full size mattresses, and they are hard as a rock. The Air conditioning and heating unit is located directly next to the bed and was very loud and caused us additional sleep loss. Checking out at 10AM on Sunday was impossible. 10AM is too early. Carts are unavailable without a staff member which results in extended delays at checkout time. The 18 stories are served by only two elevators, and gold key tours result in multiple stops and delayed elevators. The building next door is so close that we needed to keep the curtains closed at all times. The charge for a local phone call was $0.50.

Our stay at Oceanaire was planned based upon the pledge that the Aqua indoor pool would be available for our child to use. Ten days prior to our stay this policy was changed, and since 3/18 only those 21+ are allowed to use the indoor pool. We did not learn of this until we had already checked in an unpacked. The staff was unwilling and unable to accommodate us with their pledge and although I was told management would contact me about this dilemma, no one ever did. Nearly everyone in the apartment building had kids, so the pool was essentially empty every day. Shame on management for not extending the all age pool policy.

The indoor pool that was available for us to use was only accessible via outside walk, and it was colder, cloudier, and smelly compared to the new Aqua pool. Not to mention that there was ONLY ONE BATHROOM AT THE INDOOR POOL and there was NO CHANGING TABLE, and also the walkway around said pool was barely 40" wide and had a slippery tile surface. SHAME! It’s a wonder why this place hasn’t responded to any complaints, they are too busy conning the promotional visitors into buying.

Don’t stay here, don’t buy anything from Gold Key.

5 Thank Leon1977
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

A mixed review. Beachfront is always fabulous. Location is terrific. Beds were of very low quality. When I called for assistance with internet, I was asked to bring my laptop down to the front desk, waited in line for 10 minutes and someone did assist me. Overall, this is a timeshare owner place of residence and not your typical full service hotel. But it worked for a short weekend stay. It is supposed to be smoke free- but people smoke on the terraces. You will need to call and complain unfortunately.

Room Tip: Choose an oceanfront
1 Thank family221
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed in the hotel but you might as well stay in the hotel next door.because wverthing kids plung pool and restaurant if u can ever find it open and what they call a gym is in the other building.this hotel is not a hotel to stay in with kids.rooms are really nice but that doesn't make up for the unfriendly staff. And this is a time share place . The pool in the oceanair is for adults only . So don't expect to hang out and watch your kids swim in it . That's not going to happen. We were told the time share owner wanted it that way so they changed it to and adult pool only. And if you are going there off seoson to get to the other hotel there is no indoor walkway.That makes it really uncomfortable when its freezing out and you have to walk to another hotel in your bathing suite to swim.or to go to the gym.overall place is in a great location and rooms are nice but that doesn't make up for the staff that seems like they are better than you.The valet people were very nice if it wasn't for the valet people who also do the bellman job we would have asked for our money back and left .they were very nice.who needs to go away and get hassled by some person that works behind a check in counter.and don't forget 14 dollars a day to valet park or 7 if you want to self park down the block.
They claim this to be a 5 star guess the people who rated this never stayed at a five star resort.rating doesn't go on location and rooms it everything most important is service that doesn't even exist.every review about the water making noise to the nasty counter people that you read above is do right wverthing being in the other hotel and all.i never rated a hotel before nor did I ever listen to reviews but from now on I will hope this is helpful.
Thanks gene

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Gene201
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

An associate and I both stayed at this time share ...which doubles as a hotel. This place is really set up for the owners of the time share. There are few amenities for the rest of the renters. We came on business for a conference. There was no coffee, tea in lobby, no bottled water offered at front desk, no cookie or snack which all of these are at normal hotel chains. I agree with other reviewers, the beds are wonderful, excellent linens and absolutely gorgeous new like rooms to stay in that are decorated up to date. With a few tweeks this place would be great for the business traveler that wants a nice place to stay besides a chain hotel. I gave it a good review anyway because the staff again was really great! from the valet guys, to the front desk, and Ben the Concierge.

Room Tip: Ocean Front room was beautiful, loved it. hated waking up to no breakfast or even coffee in the hot...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Deborah W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Overall we really enjoyed our time at the Oceanaire during the Shamrock Half Marathon. The hotel looked great, the rooms were nice, and the beds were nice. (Which is important prior to a big race!) It was in a great location and the staff was very helpful. They made some good breakfast recommendations at the Pocahontas and the Belvedere, which we would not have normally tried. The indoor pool and hot tub were really nice.

The only negatives were that the gym and the restaurant were next door in their sister-hotel the Ocean Beach Club. Not a big deal but it would have been nice not to have to walk outside. The wifi was also spotty and slow, but it was complimentary. Overall, a much nicer hotel than many in VA Beach.

Room Tip: Ours did not face the ocean directly, but we had a clear view of the beach from our balcony. We did...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank adam50young
South Suburb of Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

We booked this trip to visit our son who is stationed in Norfolk with the Navy. I wanted to be near the ocean and give him a chance to stay with us for a break from base. We could not have been happier. We were on the 14th floor 2 bedroom suite full kitchen directly on the ocean. Going in March is down time for this area, so the weather was not super warm, but better than Chicago! The adult only pool at the Oceanaire was actually open to families, but not a big deal to me at the time. They did say that during high season it is adult only. We did do the Timeshare speach and not pushy at all. We will be going back!

Room Tip: All units are amazing, we went for the higher floor and loved it.
1 Thank eeyore65