“Three Hours Of My Life That I'll Never Get Back !!!!”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Went to the Timeshare Presentation,supposed to be about 90 minutes,ended up over 3 hours.Beautiful day,Friday April 19,it was 83 degrees outside,could have been on the boat or beach but this day was wasted inside.My time is valuable to me and my family,but the sales guy had to be there.The trip had an omenous beginning,my reservation had been made in late January and we were promised an oceanfront room at the Oceanaire,and had it printed on all our paperwork...OCEANFRONT.Got to the Reception center and we were told,no it is Oceanview.Said "look here,OCEANFRONT !!".We were told that was unavailable.Reserved in January,I could understand if it had been done last week,but every piece of paper and Emails stated Oceanfront.We were given a room with a really nice view of the side of the Ocean Club next door,and the dumpsters below were closer than that oceanview.OK,for about 40 bucks a night in a Virginia Beach hotel,not too bad,right?We got down to the pool,Nobody under 21 allowed in the pool here.WHAT !!!!!But we could use the pool next door,since they were doing work on the surrounding pool deck,the outside pool was closed,but the indoor pool was available.Figure since no one under 21 could swim next door,EVERYBODY was here in this pool.No chairs to sit in,but the most ironic thing.....No towels.......Anywhere.....Why is a "Resort"out of towels?Finally later got the kids settled with a friend,and my wife and I went down to the hot tub to relax,I can get warmer water out of the sink !!!We were told it was experiencing thermal issues,but would be corrected soon.Does that mean its broken or just a glitch?Nobody knew.What a day.....On Friday we got to the Discovery Center for our 90 minute seminar,I told the guy right from the start,we are here ONLY to get a nice inexpensive trip,no sale would be made today.I understood we had to attend this or pay upwards of $300.00 per night if we didn't,so no big deal,a small sacrifice for 2 nights at the beach.This" washed up used car salesman",to quote another reviewer,dragged this into almost a four hour waste.We were told until he released us,we could be liable to pay the full price.$300.00 isn't bad for a Oceanfront room in the height of the summer season,but late April with a view of balconies.Uh,Nope....Finally....It was like being released from detention on the last day of school!!!!!Get back up to the room,no maid service all day.Called front desk and girl apologized,next day again no maid service,yet there was now an envelope placed on the nightstand to leave a tip for the housekeeping staff.I almost left a note,"here's a tip...DON'T stay HERE!!"Oh and a sign next to some raggedy striped towels that said if you "Take home a towel,you will be charged $25.00 for each removed."Wow,KMart has better towels for $3.99,new !!Upon leaving we were asked did you enjoy your weekend with us,I think my laughter is still echoing the halls at this 2 STAR "RESORT"Bottom line,For a "Premier"new Oceanfront Resort,why do they rank 50 out of 118 other hotels,motels etc.in Virginia Beach on TripAdvisor.I guess the people have spoken and the result is stay at another hotel that allows the kids to use the pools,provides daily maid service,doesn't charge $14.00 for valet service,and truly appreciates that you stayed there.

Room Tip: Rated terrible on Cleanliness,Spa and Breakfast since there is no place on the property to get break...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank BIGBLUE2011
There are newer reviews for Oceanaire Resort Hotel

Reviewed 26 April 2013

$200 a night for a 2 bedroom suite is reasonable. The weekend rate of $800 is not. The suites are small. You cant even get the closet door open all the way because the room is so crammed full of furniture.

Furniture is nice but not very comfortable. Beds are very comfortable.

Families beware, the pool you've seen photos of is beautiful but it's 21 and over only at all hours. Kids are allowed at the hotel next door's pool but it's dated and not as well kept.

I'd also avoid this hotel until at least late 2014. The time share company is building yet another hotel and the noise gets really bad.

Overall this is a 3 star hotel trying to act like a 5 star. The techno music throbbing in the lobby got really old.

Find a promo code and get a good deal but dont fall for the time share pitch. We wasted 2.5 hours of hard sales pitch (despite being told it would be 90-120 minutes). I've been through a few of these over the years, this was the most painfull by far. Not worth the $50 dinner gift card.

Room Tip: If you stay in 2013-2014, ask for a room on the north side of the building, away from the constructi...
2  Thank Tony R
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Thank you so much for saving my baby Vacay! Stopped in for a one night stay in late April with my wife and son. Oceanaire is more for the adult lifestyle with an above 21 indoor pool and spa but all customers have access to all pools on the premises to include the indoor pool next door geared toward families with children. The room was awesome with everything you need and clean. Staff were kind and very helpful. Classy!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We came down here with friends who own at the Oceanaire and attended the supposed hour long seminar,that ended up being closer to three hours.We had interest in possibly becoming owners like our friends and were subjected to that old "used car salesman"pitch.The inital rep. must have sensed that we were not too thrilled with him when another more brash gentleman came out.He asked us what he could do to make a deal today.I felt as though there was someone else next to come out if we didn't deal with him and I was right.They proceeded to drop from a $52,000 3 bedroom Oceanview,which gives you a mostly side view of the Ocean Club building,to a $12,000 2 bedroom Oceanfront at the property next door.Our kids were being babysat by our friends for this time and we were quite anxious to get back to them and so we agreed on this price.It seems that we were then "punished',by having to sit in the waiting room for almost an hour until we signed the papers.The resort is really beautiful,the staff very friendly,but the sales staff are creepy!We then went to the Martini Bar on Friday night in the Oceanaire and all the sales staff were in there.After all the time we spent with them,not a single one of them said hello or acknowledged us.Bottom line the resorts are top notch,the people ...not so much.DON'T let them pick your pocket !!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you know Oceanview gives you a small side view from a balcony.Oceanfront is a direct facin...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank TimeshareUser
Reviewed 17 April 2013

U pay for room-u have a street view. Pay for ocean view-u may count on getting side of hotel. U pay for ocean front-have a ocean front room. Pls! those customers complain about view, get terminology right.We stayed only for weekend-the BEST room ever!!! Only year old hotel.on beach. Large, modern decor rooms-still smells like paint. First hotel n my life was not afraid go barefoot n carpet. Beds not king, but comfy, very clean. Stuff friendly and helpfull-all of them. If u have room w kitchenette, ready to cook , they have even dishwashers! I absolutely enjoyed this place. Thank U, it was my best getaway ever:)))

Room Tip: Pay more for ocean front-if u want the best view
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The decore in the rooms was very nice. Beware of the "ocean view" versus "ocean front". Ocean view means you might get a glimps of the ocean if you turn your head at the perfect angle. Bar and pool area was small and not designed for mingling. It is dark and cozy which is great for that one on one romantic experience. The beds are small and extremely cozy for two adults. Rooms were very sound proof... you cold not hear the planes flying over unless you open the patio door.

Room Tip: Demand a ocean front room... beware that an ocean view room will not guarantee a view of the ocean.
1  Thank Jonzey J
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My husband and I stayed there the week of March 10th 2013 and it was like staying on a California earthquake. Apparently another resort is going up two buildings over and all we heard all day was the noise from construction in addition to the entire room shaking with each pounding of the construction equipment. It was horrible. Then we were surprised that we had to pay a daily parking fee upon checkout. Parking should be included with the stay. The hotel's decor was nice, but I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Call ahead to see if construction is going on near the resort.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple