“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Wake Forest
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed at the Oceanaire on May 21st for 3 nights. The hotel is very nice and the location is close to restaurants. The room was clean and had everything we needed. We had an ocean view room, which gave us a great view of the ocean. The Tortugas Tiki Bar at the pool had good drinks and food however, a nice upscale restaurant is lacking. The Martini Bar is great during happy hour. This hotel is in the North section of Atlantic Avenue, which is cleaner and more upscale; as you go further South, the area becomes more dated. The Fish Bones Restaurant had great food; Pocahontas restaurant has an awesome breakfast menu, and Dough Boys has great pizza. Tip: Do not rent the family bikes from Cherie's bike rentals; they are hard to pedal, and not enjoyable at all. Also, Cherie, the owner is not very friendly nor accommodating. The staff at the hotel were great with the exception of the front desk clerk who checked us out at 5:30 a.m., but had no clue about how to settle our charges and continuously called the front desk clerk at the Ocean Front Resort so he could instruct her on how to close out our tab which caused a delay in our departure; not a smooth check out. In closing, we enjoyed it so much that we will be returning to this property soon.

Room Tip: Request an ocean front; if not available, request an ocean view with a good view of the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ivy66WakeForest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Chesapeake Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Overall, let me start by saying this was the most phenominal resort/hotel I have stayed at in a long time. I initially only had a one-night reservation, but liked it so much I decided to extend another night. The hotel is centrally located on the boardwalk and Atlantic Ave. There are many shops, restaurants and other attractions very close. Although, I hardly ever left the property because there was so much to do on site. They have three pools. One pool is for the kiddies with play things and fountains. One pool is for the "over 21 crowd" with a hot tub which was very enjoyable. There was another indoor/outdoor pool, but I never got the chance to utilize it. They also have a restaurant/bar outside by the pool area. You can sit at their tables or lounge in a chair and servers bring food/drinks to you. There is also an inside bar with a very cool, hip atmosphere with the nicest bartenders. Overall, the staff is completely professional, courteous and just plain awesome. There were 2 very minute criticisms I could make about the hotel. One, which they cannot help, is that there are fighter jets doing low flybys throughout the day and into the night. Also, while lounging in the hot tub, myself and other guests notice a lot of "debris" floating around. The attendant claimed it was coming off guests bathing suits, but I had my doubts. But, overall, if you are vacationing in the Virginia Beach area, staying at this property is a MUST! (and I work at another virginia beach hotel). lol

Room Tip: Make sure, if you want an oceanfront room, to ask for ocean front and not ocean view. Ocean view is...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Burlington, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

My boyfriend and I visited this resort Mid-May and really enjoyed our experience. We will visit again when we make it back to Virginia Beach. The staff in all departments were friendly and hospitable! Front Desk and Bell Staff did a great job.

We booked an Oceanfront, 1 Bedroom which was fantastic. The view was to die for and the entire suite was clean, accessible and modern. The full sized kitchen was great with everything you could possibly need, while providing you the option to save money while on vacation and not eat out every night.

If you are planning a visit soon, we recommend eating at "The Beach Pub" which is about a 5-8 minute drive from the hotel. Also, a cute little bakery opened up a few blocks down from the oceanaire, closer to the hilton, which had great pastries, coffees and breakfast sandwiches.

Our only somewhat negative experience while at this resort was at the Tiki Bar. The bar, its atmosphere and the menu was great overall, however, we happened to go for a drink at a busy time which resulted in us paying for two slushie drinks, about $25.00 plus tip, which had next to no alcohol. When they were making them it was mostly flavoring they were using which is fine, but if that is all you get then either lower the price, or put more alchohol in a drink that costs 11 or 12 dollars a piece. For great drinks we prefered to visit Rachel in the Martini Lounge, she was friendly, helpful and made some great drinks :)

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views, and currently there is construction going on next door to the bea...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I recently stayed at the Oceanaire Resort for a conference. The accomodations were lovely, and the staff was always available to meet our needs. I would definitely recommend Oceanaire for any company searching for a different place to host a conference or training.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mischa A
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I just returned from 3 nights at the Oceanaire. Frankly some of the reviews I had read had made me nervous but I didn't find a better option (there was a huge cheerleader convention in town) so booked a 1 bedroom oceanfront suite.... Check in was fast and smooth, the concierge helpful and friendly and things went particularly well when I found they had upgraded me to a full 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. I entertained a few family and friends who were all impressed. The pools were great (though the weather too cold to swim outside), I liked that the indoor pool was adult only (they make it clear on the website) and the bar is chic... Rachel and others in the bar were friendly and given the Kentucky Derby and Cinqo de Mayo, a bit festive (if not very busy). Frankly much of VA Beach looks pretty rundown. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon the Oceanaire and can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: pay for oceanfront... know that there's a big patio on floor ten... so try for above floor 12 or...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lansingmitch
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I write this in late April while I wait for the rain to stop. We are staying, "Ocean View" room. Not a great view, but we knew what we were getting. The room is Wonderful, nice bed, quite AC!!!!, very nice kitchen(stove, refrigerator, dishwasher,sink), bathroom with two sinks. I go to the local supermarket and buy fresh crab and shrimp. Great way to save and eat well. Downstairs is an adult pool and hot tub. Next door(15 feet away) is the family pool, both indoor heated and outdoor. Wonderful Martini Bar in lobby and restaurants just across the street. When the weather is bad I like to sit by the pool and just watch the ocean. On good days the beach is in front of us. A note to those who complain about sales presentations... Don't go, that is your option, if you go, don't complain about the time you spend, it is the same all over.

Room Tip: Look for Ocean Front to face the ocean, Ocean view to save a few dollars.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan R
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Went to the Timeshare Presentation,supposed to be about 90 minutes,ended up over 3 hours.Beautiful day,Friday April 19,it was 83 degrees outside,could have been on the boat or beach but this day was wasted inside.My time is valuable to me and my family,but the sales guy had to be there.The trip had an omenous beginning,my reservation had been made in late January and we were promised an oceanfront room at the Oceanaire,and had it printed on all our paperwork...OCEANFRONT.Got to the Reception center and we were told,no it is Oceanview.Said "look here,OCEANFRONT !!".We were told that was unavailable.Reserved in January,I could understand if it had been done last week,but every piece of paper and Emails stated Oceanfront.We were given a room with a really nice view of the side of the Ocean Club next door,and the dumpsters below were closer than that oceanview.OK,for about 40 bucks a night in a Virginia Beach hotel,not too bad,right?We got down to the pool,Nobody under 21 allowed in the pool here.WHAT !!!!!But we could use the pool next door,since they were doing work on the surrounding pool deck,the outside pool was closed,but the indoor pool was available.Figure since no one under 21 could swim next door,EVERYBODY was here in this pool.No chairs to sit in,but the most ironic thing.....No towels.......Anywhere.....Why is a "Resort"out of towels?Finally later got the kids settled with a friend,and my wife and I went down to the hot tub to relax,I can get warmer water out of the sink !!!We were told it was experiencing thermal issues,but would be corrected soon.Does that mean its broken or just a glitch?Nobody knew.What a day.....On Friday we got to the Discovery Center for our 90 minute seminar,I told the guy right from the start,we are here ONLY to get a nice inexpensive trip,no sale would be made today.I understood we had to attend this or pay upwards of $300.00 per night if we didn't,so no big deal,a small sacrifice for 2 nights at the beach.This" washed up used car salesman",to quote another reviewer,dragged this into almost a four hour waste.We were told until he released us,we could be liable to pay the full price.$300.00 isn't bad for a Oceanfront room in the height of the summer season,but late April with a view of balconies.Uh,Nope....Finally....It was like being released from detention on the last day of school!!!!!Get back up to the room,no maid service all day.Called front desk and girl apologized,next day again no maid service,yet there was now an envelope placed on the nightstand to leave a tip for the housekeeping staff.I almost left a note,"here's a tip...DON'T stay HERE!!"Oh and a sign next to some raggedy striped towels that said if you "Take home a towel,you will be charged $25.00 for each removed."Wow,KMart has better towels for $3.99,new !!Upon leaving we were asked did you enjoy your weekend with us,I think my laughter is still echoing the halls at this 2 STAR "RESORT"Bottom line,For a "Premier"new Oceanfront Resort,why do they rank 50 out of 118 other hotels,motels etc.in Virginia Beach on TripAdvisor.I guess the people have spoken and the result is stay at another hotel that allows the kids to use the pools,provides daily maid service,doesn't charge $14.00 for valet service,and truly appreciates that you stayed there.

Room Tip: Rated terrible on Cleanliness,Spa and Breakfast since there is no place on the property to get break...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family