“Started off as a 1 rating, ended as a 4...”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Stafford, Virginia
“Started off as a 1 rating, ended as a 4...”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I were at the Oceanaire Resort Hotel the week of 5/20/13. Our trip started out a 1 rating and ended as a 4. During check-in we were told by the reception staff that we didn't have a reservation at the Oceanaire Hotel, but instead at the Ocean Beach Club Hotel next door. After showing them the reservation confirmation for Oceanaire, we were then told there was a maintenance issue in "Our" room, they were booked the rest of the week, and had no other rooms available. Now confused AND angry, we asked to speak with the manager in charge. The cowardly manager never came out of the office (door to the right of the reception desk). Instead, they let the messenger take all the heat, which I found very unprofessional and insensitive to reservation debacle. They tried to accommodate us by decreasing the nightly rate and providing us a comparable oceanfront room at the Ocean Beach Club next door. We expressed our dissatisfaction with Rudolph Johnson (on duty at the reception desk at Ocean Beach Club) on how we were being treated and lied to about our Oceanaire reservation. We expressed to him there was absolutely nothing wrong with their rooms, but it was simply not what we reserved nor expected. Mr. Johnson handled the situation promptly and professionally; he comped the first night at Ocean Beach Club and arranged for our transfer the next morning to the one bdrm ocean front suite we'd reserved in the first place at Oceanaire. What happened to being booked all week and no other rooms available...?! We learned later the hotel tends to overbook their rooms. So instead of being honest and telling their customers the truth, they lie about a maintenance issue. After moving to our beautiful oceanfront suite, we decided to let it go and enjoy the rest of our vacation. After hanging out at the beach and enjoying the pool and spa, we go back to our room and find our door left open with the bolt against the door frame. We're immediately on guard and my husband cautiously looked around the suite. We looked around the hallways to see if maybe housekeeping was still working in the room..but they were nowhere to be found on the entire floor. Okay...now we're on fire; Housekeeping rolled out and left our door open leaving our electronics and other valuables vulnerable to theft?! Livid...! We reported the incident to the front desk, were told they'd take care of it, but no follow-up whatsoever about it. Needless to say, we kept the do not disturb sign on the door the rest of our stay. We had enough towels etc. to last the rest of the vacation. No way were we allowing anyone back in our room! On day of checkout, we find a bill left outside the door with absolutely no adjustments whatsoever. At this point, enough was enough. It was time to demand we speak with a manager or higher about this craziness!. We spoke to Rae (Supervisor on duty) who we pulled aside and told everything that happened since day one. Rae politely listened to our story and was very professional in handling the inconveniences we experienced. Not only was our bill adjusted according to the promises they made, but we were given a voucher for breakfast while the problems were being resolved. If it wasn't for Mr. Johnson and Ms. Rae, the rating for our stay at this hotel would have been a 2 out of 5, which would have been a shame for such a beautiful place. Based on how Rudolph and Rae came through for us, we are giving a rating of 4 out of 5 for this hotel. Kudos to the both of them and we thank you both for your outstanding customer service and professionalism!

7 Thank ValB226

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

The room was wonderful two bedroom two bathroom suite. Everything in the hotel, ( pool, sun deck, bars) shut down at 9-11pm. Not fun at all for the 21 and over crowd. Also the pool was very little, but the jacuzzi was great.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank 7000429
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate mine and my boyfriend's birthdays and we thought it was amazing!!! I had a tough time deciding between the Ocean Beach Club and Oceanaire, but I am definitely glad I chose the latter because it is the newer one and is very modern (also at this time i got a larger room for a cheaper price, with a balcony)! I love the color scheme and all the furnishings! We stayed in an One Bedroom Ocean View balcony unit, happily located on the 15th floor (out of 18) on the north side! Shout out to Rosanna in reservations for putting in that request for us! As some other reviews have mentioned, if you're in a south side ocean view unit, the OBC is right next to you and you can see into their balcony units. Before I continue, let me tell you one thing I noticed. The ocean front 1 bdrm units are about 100sqft larger than the ocean view units. The kitchen is set up differently. If you see a picture of the kitchen with the sink on a separate counter, that is ocean front. If you see the picture with the two chairs at the counter, that is the ocean view. They have pictures of both on their websites and I was kinda confused by that. Anyway, the pros:
- We were the farthest West you could get and still had a clear view of the ocean
- Balcony had comfortable furniture and is off the bedroom
- The living room had an amazing view out of the ceiling to floor windows
- The jacuzzi tub is amazing!
- Kitchen has everything you need
- 10th floor tanning deck
- Aqua 21 is gorgeous
- Can get drinks delivered to you in the pool, but of course they are pricey (I don't think they mind if you bring your own down in plastic cups though!)
- Fire and chairs right in front of the pool to relax after a night swim!
- And lastly, the rooms are soooooo sound proof! Did not have problems with our neighbors at all, and they never complained about us being loud! Even the wall between the living room and bedroom was pretty good at stopping noise
There aren't really cons to this place. I was disappointed that there were only queen size beds, but they and the pillows were very comfy. I though it was odd that the bathroom had 2 sinks, I would have rather had more counter space. I know that a lot of people complained that they had to pay $8 per day for parking, but as a local, I know where to find free parking so I did not have to worry about that. Another thing that impressed me is that as a young couple who did have several friends over, I was expecting to get a lot of grief from the pool people. They never once harassed us to see if we had our ID's to prove that we were 21 or accused us of pool hopping/doubted that we were staying there. Very respectful staff! Before you book your stay, check the website because I stayed on a "stay 2 nights get the 3rd free" special (no time share presentation necessary) and the total stay cost was cheaper than what I could find on orbitz or hotwire. All in all, this place is amazing! I felt like a millionaire swimming fancy pool and hot tub and just staying here in general. There's a breakfast place literally right across the street and everything you need within walking distance. I cannot wait until I come back to stay again next year!!!

Room Tip: Request north side, higher level!!
2 Thank Taylor S
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The staff were the most friendly I have seen. The atmosphere in the Ultra Martini Lounge was excellent along with our server. From the curb to the door of our suite we were treated with the utmost respect and friendliness from the staff. My husband and I had a corner suite and it was tastefully decorated and extremely clean and the views were spectacular! The room had everything we needed and more and it wad close to everything! The sundeck on the 10th floor was also a stunning place to be with views of the boardwalk and ocean. We enjoyed having late night cocktails by the fire. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: To ensure a beautiful room always book oceanfront instead of ocean view. I highly recommend that you...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Pls Pls pls dont waste your money in Oceanaire Resort Hotel. Ocean view is just a way to get more money. I spent(wasted) my hard earned money to get ocean view but realized city view would have been better than ocean view. Customer service is very bad, they dont entertain you. You can just see water in corner of the 2 building and thats it ..Its ocean view.. Enjoy :) ..

They just spoiled all my plan.
Make sure you will be able to cancel room if you are not satisfied with that. Thats the catch. This hotel owner know if you can not cancel room then they will give you any bad room bcoz they know they got your money and you can not do anything..

may God bless this people and money they earned this way.

Room Tip: Dont waste money on ocean view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Frank1479
Wake Forest
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed at the Oceanaire on May 21st for 3 nights. The hotel is very nice and the location is close to restaurants. The room was clean and had everything we needed. We had an ocean view room, which gave us a great view of the ocean. The Tortugas Tiki Bar at the pool had good drinks and food however, a nice upscale restaurant is lacking. The Martini Bar is great during happy hour. This hotel is in the North section of Atlantic Avenue, which is cleaner and more upscale; as you go further South, the area becomes more dated. The Fish Bones Restaurant had great food; Pocahontas restaurant has an awesome breakfast menu, and Dough Boys has great pizza. Tip: Do not rent the family bikes from Cherie's bike rentals; they are hard to pedal, and not enjoyable at all. Also, Cherie, the owner is not very friendly nor accommodating. The staff at the hotel were great with the exception of the front desk clerk who checked us out at 5:30 a.m., but had no clue about how to settle our charges and continuously called the front desk clerk at the Ocean Front Resort so he could instruct her on how to close out our tab which caused a delay in our departure; not a smooth check out. In closing, we enjoyed it so much that we will be returning to this property soon.

Room Tip: Request an ocean front; if not available, request an ocean view with a good view of the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ivy66WakeForest
Chesapeake Virginia
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Overall, let me start by saying this was the most phenominal resort/hotel I have stayed at in a long time. I initially only had a one-night reservation, but liked it so much I decided to extend another night. The hotel is centrally located on the boardwalk and Atlantic Ave. There are many shops, restaurants and other attractions very close. Although, I hardly ever left the property because there was so much to do on site. They have three pools. One pool is for the kiddies with play things and fountains. One pool is for the "over 21 crowd" with a hot tub which was very enjoyable. There was another indoor/outdoor pool, but I never got the chance to utilize it. They also have a restaurant/bar outside by the pool area. You can sit at their tables or lounge in a chair and servers bring food/drinks to you. There is also an inside bar with a very cool, hip atmosphere with the nicest bartenders. Overall, the staff is completely professional, courteous and just plain awesome. There were 2 very minute criticisms I could make about the hotel. One, which they cannot help, is that there are fighter jets doing low flybys throughout the day and into the night. Also, while lounging in the hot tub, myself and other guests notice a lot of "debris" floating around. The attendant claimed it was coming off guests bathing suits, but I had my doubts. But, overall, if you are vacationing in the Virginia Beach area, staying at this property is a MUST! (and I work at another virginia beach hotel). lol

Room Tip: Make sure, if you want an oceanfront room, to ask for ocean front and not ocean view. Ocean view is...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo