“Not the resort we were expecting”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Ocean, New Jersey
“Not the resort we were expecting”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

First, let me say that the staff was very friendly and the room we stayed in was very nice. We were traveling two children, ages 6 and 2, and we were told when we booked that the hotel was family friendly. As for the room, it had a well equipped kitchen, pull out couch in the living room for the kids, and a comfortable one bedroom for the adults. The bathroom was a good size with dual sinks and a jetted tub. Beyond that, in my opinion, Oceanaire itself is definitely geared more towards the 21 and older crowd…I would describe the atmosphere as upscale and trendy. The amenities in this particular tower are a 21 and older hot tub/pool, a sun deck/lounge on the 10th floor and a cocktail lounge downstairs. If we were not traveling with children, this would be the ideal tower. The Beach Club next door, which luckily you do have access to while staying in either hotel (a short walk outside), contains a small game room and a large indoor pool, as well as a outdoor pool and cafe. This is by far the more family friendly/laid back/Key West atmosphere that someone traveling with children would probably be looking for.

As for the positive, as mentioned above, you do have access to the indoor and outdoor pools, which are both heated. The game room is small, but would still probably satisfy the gamers of the family. It also offers board games. The concierge was helpful and friendly, as was all of the staff we met. The rooms, hotel, and grounds are very well maintained and upscale. Self parking is available across the street for $8/night and valet is also available for $16/night. TVs in the room offered a decent variety of channels, the kitchen was well stocked with everything you might need, and beds were comfortable.

As for the negative. First, we were not able to check in on time, which is stated as 4pm. The front desk was very apologetic, but it was still extremely inconvenient considering we had traveled over 6 hours to be here on time to enjoy the limited nice weather. They did give us access to the amenities immediately, but did not allow us to store our bags in the meantime (we asked when it wasn't offered, and although we had been told over the phone that this would be available to us, it was not an option). The bellmen will extremely kind, but clearly overwhelmed. Minor negatives about the room…no hooks to hang wet clothes/towels and the wifi was weak at best. I also noticed that room service was not an option except for a pizza delivery. This wasn't a big deal to us, but might be to someone expecting it at such an advertised upscale resort.

More importantly and most disappointing, there really weren't any amenities other that the pool for our family. All restaurants were located in other hotels and all of the beach activities are a ways down the boardwalk. There is a beach playground about 1/4 mile down the boardwalk and restaurants within walking distance, so it's not a total loss, it's just a shame that the hotel itself does not really offer much itself, especially during the cooler months when the beach is not really an option. Most "resorts" we have stayed at offer a selection of dining as well as activities. Other than a wine tasting we received a message about (and couldn't attend with children), I didn't see much in the way of activities.

Overall opinion…a good "resort" for the couple looking to getaway to relax, but not the most ideal for the more active family.

6 Thank jennhnj
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear jennhnj,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experience at the property. We truly appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to hear that though you and your family experienced some disappointments, you all enjoyed your stay overall. I think that it is a very fair review. I will certainly pass along your recommendations to our Board of Directors for consideration! We hope to see you at either the Ocean Beach Club or at Oceanaire during your next trip to Virginia Beach!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Korean first
Essex
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Excellent location right on the beach. Lovely rooms facing the beach and loved the adults only pool room with the open fire. Pocahontas Pancakes and waffle shop just across the street. Only thing we didn't like was the welcome pack dressed up a timeshare! and the noise into the early hours from the planes.

Room Tip: High room facing the beach
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark B
Dear Mark B,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We receive many compliments on Aqua 21, our adult only swimming pool and hot tub. We look forward to serving you during your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My only regret for the stay is that it wasn't long enough I wish that we could have stayed an entire week but we only came for the weekend from NJ. We arrived later than we had plan on Friday and when we got there Olivia was at the front desk and she was warm and very friendly. The gave our room away but that was ok because we got upgraded to a better suite and it was beautiful. The rooms are very nicely decorated with stainless steel appliances, the rooms were huge. The beds are very comfortable, it was just the most relaxing atmosphere that made you feel very at home. I would absolutely come back to the Oceanaire maybe next time me and my husband can do a romantic stay by ourselves. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Theresa R.,

Thank you for the kind words about the property and Olivia. She is truly an asset to our team and we are so proud of her. Our entire team strives to provide great service for each guest and owner. I am glad to hear that you felt like you were at home away from home. That is the greatest compliment we can receive. We look forward to seeing you again during your next (hopefully romantic!) getaway to Virginia Beach!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went away for a quick weekend to celebrate the first warm days of summer. The room and common areas are impressive. Our room was compact but had lots of extras like a small kitchen and a big tub. The common areas were bright and nicely decorated.

Now for the downers…

The drive-up for the check in seemed crowded and not large enough to handle the volume of the people checking in. Then there was the construction going on right next door which created quite a lot of noise as you would expect. To compensate they had the “background” music up too high which did not create the relaxing atmosphere we were looking for. We also had a very less than desirable snack at the outdoor café along with some unappealing drinks. Only one of the 2 pools was open.

Bottom line: I would stay here but go off-site for meals and entertainment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff S
Dear Jeff S.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the property overall. I am disappointed to hear about your experience at Tortuga's Cafe. I do hope that you brought the quality issues up with the manager on duty at the restaurant so the issues could be resolved. We are just re-opening the patio and pool deck for the season after being closed for the off season. The pool issue that you mentioned has been resolved. We were experienceing some diffculties with the heating unit for the pool and did not want anyone to swim in unheated water. I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach!
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

First and foremost I booked my stay about a month ahead. Lets start with check in... The valet parking was short staffed you could see them running back and forth to the discovery center. There was a long line of guest waiting all of them were complaining saying their rooms were not ready. I was certain they must be last minute traveler's. I approached the front desk with my license and they asked did someone call me to tell me my room was ready. No the check in time is 4pm right? WRONG! She informed me some business group paid for more time and they were sorry but check in was not avaliable for right now but I can pre register and use the "amenities" and they will call me when my room is ready. Oh! and refund me half of my money back. Which is the only reason why I will not give the staff a bad review as they were working their butts off. The only rude staff I came in contact with were the reservation people and im pretty sure the calls are recorded. Now on to the amenities I was excited about the adult only pool. Guess what when I looked there were 3 kids in there! However the guest concierge/timeshare lady said "I will handle that"The elevators are soooo slow u would think the bulding was 200 years old. They only have 2 elevators. Any how the higlight of my trip was leaving and finishing my va beach trip at another hotel resort that allowed us an early check in and late check out at no cost to us in an OCEANFRONT king size suite with jacuzzi in front of the balcony free Hot breakfast and free parking in a safe garage on the property an indoor pool and spa as well as out door and fitness center updated/modern on Atlantic Ave as well. It was priced higher then the oceanaire but well worth it for an extra measly $12 a night. I fell for the hype but its not worth it plus the vibe is just unexplainable just VERY DRY. Even the music they play thru the speakers at the aqua 21 was tiring!! I just may give the ocean beach club a chance but the ocenaire did not leave a good taste in my husband and our mouths!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msVee85
Dear msVee85,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear about your experience. We pride ourselves on providing great service and it seems that we missed the mark with you. You are correct; there was a late group checkout which did impact our ability to meet our 4 pm check in time. Our valet parking lot is located in the garage behind the Discovery Center so it would be no surprise to see the valet running back and forth between the buildings to retrieve cars. I do hope that you will try the Ocean Beach Club during your next visit to Virginia Beach.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have a 12 and 14 year old and me and my wife. At first glance you might think its not kid friendly when you see the adult only indoor pool but they actually have an awesome larger indoor pool for any age complete with a built in whirl pool as part of the pool and water jets....very cool. They have outdoor pools too but it was in April and too cold during our stay. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous and super clean (my wife has an issue with cleanliness way overboard...but this hotel impressed her. The ocean front suite was sweet...Master bedroom, guest bedroom, large full kitchen and a huge balcony made us feel special! Trust this family when I say that if you stay here bring your kids if you have any and if you don't bring some friends because there is plenty of room for two couples ....Three large flat screen tvs LR, Master and Guest bedroom...Super clean hotel. We got the third night free that averaged around $120 a night although the room was $160 on Monday, $200 on Tuesday and 3rd night free. I almost cancelled because of the clever marketing making you think the rooms were $120 a night 3rd night free. Other than that, I loved tis place and so did my two sons including my too cool 14 year old. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Are room was on the 12th floor directly above the party balcony...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Russell B,

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We certainly welcome guests of all ages. It is no secret that keeping young adults entertained can be challenging; I am glad that we were able to satisfy them as well! We look forward to serving you during your next visit to Virginia Beach.
Fort Mitchell, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very nice hotel conveniently located right on the boardwalk. The room was spacious and had a great view. Staff was very helpful. No restaurant but the lounge in the lobby was a great place for a drink. If you are looking for a great hotel right on the water this place shouldn't be missed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Tyler H,

Thank you for takign the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay! I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the team. Ultra Martini Lounge is indeed a great place to have a drink. During this time of the year Tortuga's Cafe and Tiki Bar, our outdoor restaurant located on the pool deck, is open for breakfast each morning in Ocean Beach Club and remains open weather-permitting. We look forward to serving you during your next trip to Virginia Beach!