“Good Latin American Food”
Review of The Landing Zone

The Landing Zone
Ranked #326 of 1,452 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: South American
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband and I went to the restaurant because one of his co-workers liked the place. I wasn't sure what to expect because the name prompts images of planes and quick bar food. The restaurant area had alot of open space between tables. In fact I counted 12 tables of 4 but there was room for at least 2 additional tables. The bar area was small with about 8 stools around the bar and 3 high top tables. There is a nice patio area. We were greeted right away by the server behind the bar. We were seated at a table by the window. The decor is minimalistic. There are a couple of televisions on the walls. The menu does have a variety of items from different food styles. There are a couple of Italian dishes, some American dishes such as burgers and Buffalo wings but I believe these items are appropriate for the bar area. The restaurant area menu should consist mainly of the Latin American Food. My husband had the Cubano sandwich and french fries. A good cuban sandwich. I had the Bandeja Paisa. This platter was loaded with a ton of good Latin American food, which could be the reason it took a while to be served. The plate had a grilled steak, deep fried pork crackling or chicharron, chorizo, white rice with a fried egg and avocado on top, fried sweet plantains, red beans and a couple of pieces of soft tortilla. Everything on the plate was incredible. The red beans were amazing. My husband said he could snack on the chicharron all day. The strawberry and pineapple mojitos were also very good. The name, the Landing Zone does not adequately reflect the cuisine being served. I hope this restaurant can make it since so many others in this location have failed.

1  Thank Mel B

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

The patio is a great spot to hang out at night to relax. The menu has foods from different countries the owner 'landed' in when he was in the military (thus the name of the place). Too many friends I've talked to assume it's just a sports bar with pub food and that's not the case. The menu is diverse and the interior is more upscale casual than sports bar.

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I ate her with my wife a couple weeks ago. We tried a couple of the sandwiches, both of which were good. They were extremely busy due to a political event being held there, but the staff kept up and did a solid job. My salad did come after my entree, but it wasn't a crisis.

Portions were perfect and the food was pretty good overall, but they are the latest restaurant to take over this seemingly cursed location. I'm rooting for them to make it.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

this location has seen about 6-7 different resteraunts in it since i started living here in 2006. all last about 6-9 months and then close. the last place was called the pasta bowl and i went there once and they had good food and was surprise they closed so quickly. went last night with my wife and had the cubano sandwich and she had a sandwich which had turkey with cheese (can't remember the name). she said it was good and my cubano sandwich was good as well. portions were smaller than other places we go with similiar food but the prices were cheaper. we will go back and try a few other Latin dishes and i hope they stay long term.

1  Thank michaelvirginiabeach
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I live near this place so I was glad to see it open. I thought it would be nice to have a bar close to home. I stopped for a drink the other night after dinner . I asked for a wine list and inquired about their vodka. As it turned out they have 1 type of Cabernet and only had Smirnoff vodka. I have more liquor at my home bar than they had. If your going to have a bar you need product to sell !! You can't sell what you don't have !! They spent months and undoubtedly thousands of dollars remodeling . You would think they could stock the bar. The sign on the outside says restaurant & bar. Although I didn't have a drink or anything to eat I am told that the food is good and the inside looks really nice. I hope they wise up and do well. Every other venture in this spot has failed.

1  Thank Richard A