“Classic old-school steak place”
Review of Black Angus Restaurant - CLOSED

Black Angus Restaurant
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Connecticut
“Classic old-school steak place”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I vacation in Virginia Beach almost every year in May, before it gets too hot and crowded. We always save one night for the Black Angus dinner for two special --shrimp cocktail, salad, choice of filet or NY strip, one veg and choice of a dessert to share. Can't beat the price, recently up from $49.95 to $59.95. Steaks came as ordered, medium rare, very flavorful. Portion size is very good. Our server was a very attentive, pleasant young man. We are surprised at some of the negative experiences listed in other reviews as we have always been more than satisfied at the Black Angus.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank tosca1951

Lusby
“Terrible food”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This is supposed to be a steak house that advertised aged beef. I don't think that is supposed to mean aged I. The freezer. Crab cakes were like a Gorton frozen entries. Don't waste your money.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank mikeandwendyw
Providence, Rhode Island
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The food at the Black Angus was delicious! We were greeted by the sweetest lady! She must be the restaurant mascot as she was walking from table to table making sure all the guests were happy with their service and food. We had a nice time and left with full stomachs and smiles on our faces!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kathy Z
Heidelberg, Germany
“Turf AND Surf”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I chose this place for a small family reunion with my sisters because it's known for its beef - and I was really hungry for prime rib. I was not disappointed either - the prime rib was generously cut and cooked to perfection. Delicious! However, they are not a one-trick show. One of my sisters wanted to try their fried sea scallops and was convinced they were the best she's had in her whole life. I just had to find out for myself, so I talked them into serving me just one of them for dessert. My sister was right. Find out for yourself if you ever get the chance to visit Virginia Beach.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank dnorton_6
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“BLACK ANGUS = PERFECT FOR GREAT FOOD/DINNER DATE”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My Husband have been going here for over 23 years. What keeps us coming back? The outstanding food & friendly service. We go once every 2 or 3 months, & the last time we went was for my 38'the birthday in Nov 2013- when they found out it was for my b-day they presented me w/a complimentary chocolate sundae w/a lit sparkler on top; my Husband & I split it & took our other deserts home.

To begin with, the restaurant has been long-established on the Va. Beach strip for many generations. The dining room is inviting with flowers & candles lit on every table, a red & black theme, & every table is a 'good one', even the tables for two seem private with high-back 'throne-chairs'. It has a very intimate, vintage vibe that throws back to the days when people got "Dressed Up" to go out to dinner, with gentlemen in dinner jackets & ladies in heels & pearls. The meaning of the term good service could be defined by the staff here, from the Maitre'd who seat you to the wait staff, who know the menu like they wrote it, have an answer to every question you might ask, & take the order for the entire table sans a note-pad or order-book.

We are that couple that always orders the same thing, b/c it's too good not to! Dinner always starts w/a variety of dinner rolls, & a salad; we love the peppercorn-parmesan or the raspberry vinaigrette. My Husband loves steak, so he either gets prime rib or NY strip, & I always get the lobster tail, & we usually get potato's or mixed steamed veggies. He loves the steak there, & it's about the best you'll find in this area (he's partial to Kodiak Alaska, but that's not possible here!) & the lobster tail is most definitely in me top 3 favorites for excellent flavor & perfectly cooked (not too soft/mushy. & not tough & rubbery).

Desserts are among the best homemade treats you will find anywhere. I love the coconut cake, creme brulee, cheesecake, & baklava. Sometimes we'll get a dessert to share w/dinner & one to take home for a midnight snack.

Dress is casual, not bathing suits, but beach casual, although we usually like to dress nice when we come here. When we came to celebrate our wedding anniversary a few times I wore long gowns & my Hubs wore a suit just to make the evening more special to us. Children are welcome, but when brought ours when she was little we made sure she was well-behaved. The place is too nice to have kids running around and/or screaming.

Finally is Mrs Quinn. She's been working here for over 50 years, every single night she's here & runs the place. Originally it was run by the parents of one of my Fathers friend since H.S, Mike Saviddes. One or both will usually check in personally with each table to make sure you're happy with your dining experience.

• Visited November 2013