“Couldn't beat it for the price”

Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
Ranked #62 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Just returned from a Memorial Day weekend visit to the Sundail Motel and for the price you couldn't beat the accomadations. My room was CLEAN and you could tell the kitchen counters and bathroom seemed realatively new. The dresser was old, but not in bad condtion. My room had a full kitchen which was nice to save a little money on meals. The people who worked the front desk and the hotel manager could not have been more helpful during our stay. Now if you're looking for a resort atmosphere in a plush swanky hotel this is probably not the place for you. But if you want a clean hotel, close to the beach (about 1.5 blocks) for a really good price you should check this place out.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank gidgetpsu1990

Reviewed 11 May 2011

My family and I stayed at the Sundial Inn July 28 and July 29 2010. I have to say it was the absolute worst hotel I have stayed at hands down! We arrived at approximately 10:00 PM Wednesday, July 28 after traveling 4 hours. Upon arriving our 3 year old had to use the restroom and there was none in the lobby and the clerk refused to allow her to use the staff restroom. So, after rushing to our rooms to get to a bathroom we were appalled by what we found. The rooms smelled musty and smoky. The pillows were as flat as pancakes, there were no blankets just the top bedspreads that did not look or smell clean. The sheets were pilling. The telephone was absolutely filthy with some sort of yellow sticky matter all over the keys and various other unidentifiable debris. The bathtub had multiple cigarette burns on it and it just didn't seem clean. The soda vending machine was located out in the parking lot. Speaking of the parking lot, The Sundial rents out their parking lot to beach goers which leaves the less desirable parking spaces for hotel guests in the far or rear parking lot. Not too convenient when you have luggage to haul. Speaking of luggage to haul...the building we stayed in did not have an elevator so hauling our luggage up the stairs was not fun. On top of the less than desirable accommodations, the hotel staff was not friendly.

Please, just do a little investigating before committing to this hotel and don’t be deceived by the online photos which is the epitome of false advertisement!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank kswain99
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I don't know why other reviewers have rated this motel so bad. Is it brand new? No. Are there lots of bells and whistles? Nope. Is it a clean, reasonably priced place to sleep? YES! Upon checking in, we were given our room key, and we took a look at our room. I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was clean, we had the essentials, plastic cups and the run of the mill mini soaps. Bottom line is: if you don't want to spend a lot of money on your hotel, stay here. Don't expect a lot, go out and enjoy the beach!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times after trying many of the other hotels in the area and I don't think you'll find a better 3 star bargain. This hotel has always had the best rates around and is constantly being upgraded with fresh paint, new carpet, linens, free internet and good service. If you're looking for a 5 star with continental breakfast, you can spend at least twice as much elsewhere. There's a McDonalds right next door and it's towards the ocean which is a whole (1) block away! This is also one of the best locations on the oceanfront for shopping and entertainment being close by. Thanks for another great stay!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Just think you been staying here for 12 days then when you return from work you are not allowed access to your room due to the key not working. You call the number on the door being the front office was closed and the person responds to your need to regain entry to your room by saying, "sorry no one can come." What would you do? Well I'll tell you what I had to do... I told the idiot I was going to call the police if he didn't re-due my key. At this point I was threatened to be put out, right then, and there 3:00 AM or so ( I work nite shift ). Lucky the police dispatch was on the phone when he started to be Mr. Big Shot, so I waited for the Virginia Beach Police to come. Mr. Big Shot made me a key and cowardly passed it to me through the door ( More humiliatition than humility on his part ) and about 30 seconds later the police arived. I greeted the officer and told him I just recieved the key even though I had two others that did not work. The officer sugested that if this sort of stuff was going on maybe it would better to consider another place to stay which I agree and strongly suggest to any one who reads this to be aware of the volutol nature this owner has with paying law abiding guests.
Also note there is a service coridor behind the wall where water services are (SINK & Tub Fixtures) if you have a screen vent looking thing in your bathroom you can see into the coridor I was able to see into the coridor which means one could be seen from the coridor !!!
Stay Aware My Friends

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank VBBBB
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stayed in the hotel a few days ago. Needless to say, I live in virginia beach and my friend had came up for the weekend. I wanted to escape myself and when she came up, I knew she was going to stay in this hotel. I went to sleep only to wake up to many bites on my shoulders and ankles. Went to the doctor and they told me I had bed bugs. Please don't stay at the SunDial Motel, although it is a great location, the service is poor and they have bed bugs and God Knows what else in their rooms.

*** irginia Beach Native

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank faatimahlove
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We arrived and were excited because of the location we could walk everywhere we wanted to go. On the sign out front it states the participate with AAA but I was denied the discount. They said the rate was already cheap enough. Check in was very fast. The parking lot is VERY small & they also rent out parking spaces by the day so it can get pretty full! When I went into my room it looked clean but it smelled AWFUL It smelled like some kind of animal urine! It was also very hot inside & it took a very long time to cool down.
We went out for awhile, when we returned we got stuck in the elevator & had to use the call button for help! It suddenly started working again. When I got back to the room my door was partially open. I called the desk to tell them about the elevator & my door. They said the same thing happened the previous weekend with the elevator. As for my door they said that I must not have shut it hard enough! I made sure that is was locked before I left. I told them that nothing was missing & they told me not to worry. I also asked about the smell in my room & was told that rooms are cleaned daily, If I wanted another room I could switch. Isaid I wanted to see the new one first but was told "No". I told them I was not happy with the accomodations & asked to be refunded my money so I could go stay somewhere else. I was told that they do not refund for ANY reason so we were stuck. If you can afford to pay a little more you should do it. This place is just awful! We will not stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family