“good value”

Ranked #71 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, VA
“good value”
Reviewed 9 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend getaway. The kitchen and bedroom area were spotless. Bathroom was small but clean. The hotel staff was helpful and friendly. Free coffee and juice in the mornings. I have no compliants at all except the bathroom sink did not have a stopper, but this was a very minor issue. Great deal for what we paid. This room must have been upgraded compared to some of the past rooms that were reviewed. Anyhow, I would be glad to return. We'll ask for the same room in the future.

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — can be a long walk if you are going a long way down the beach
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
VA
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I read the reviews on this site before booking and knew ahead of time that this place was not going to be 'all that' but for the low price - we took our chances. The room was clean for the most part. AC worked fine and the maid staff was pleasant.

However, the location of this place is BAD< BAD<BAD! I am not an old foegy but the noise from the McDonalds parking lot below was terrible. Many people just hanging out there at night - yelling up to the people on the balcony: making visitors feel uncomfortable - just to have something to do. This is not the motel's property and there is not much they can do about it.

The Motel Parking lot is awful. Almost impossible to park any vehicle without hitting a post or running off the high curb. Low clearance and very little room to manuever around other cars. Becareful! I read this in a review and we still managed to run into problems parking. Use parking off to Left side just to be safe!

• Liked — Cheap rates!
  • Disliked — Bad Location!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
waymart Pa
Reviewed 6 October 2007

The hotel was alright for the price. The room has a funny smell, but I brought my own Glade Plug in so I took care of that myself.. It was a bit noisy cause I think people live there all the time, which kind of creeps me out. The first night I was there I bought internet service from the Atrium hotel, across the street cause thats the signal I was picking up......LOL I moved to the other side of the room and didn't have to pay for it cause my laptop picked up someones wireless...It was week but it was good enough. If I needed to stay there again I would...but next time I will spend the extra money and stay on the beach..in one of the nice hotels. I spent alot of time at the beach anyway.
bfetherman27@yahoo.com

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The interweb service
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bfetherman
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 September 2007

stay away. the person at the desk counted the number of people in my car as a drove in. I picked up my cousins from their home to help me with my bags. I was charged $10 just for them to come up the steps. I was told no more than 4 people to a room, but during my stay their were other families of five. I took my nieces back home because they couldn't stay with me and go to the beach.

The pool is not as big as it looks on the picture, my 10yr old son called it a big tub.

• Liked — close to the beach
  • Disliked — owners
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank va2pa
Oakville
Reviewed 25 August 2007

Upon arrival we couldnt find parking because the motel has the parking lot open for beach parking(at a charge of course). After we finally found a spot, only because it started to rain and pl were leaving the beach. We checked in and everything went smoothly.

The room was nasty nasty nasty. The smell will stay with you. The safe did not work, were told it would be fixed never was.

Our stay was intended for 5 days. We decided to book out a day early and head to Washington. As I understood the policy we had to give 72 hours notice of anychanges. Well we gave that notice and the manager said "oh no thats only for complete cancelation of your trip" Long story short, she was sooooooo rude I was so upset after 10 mins of going back and forth with this women I said "fine I'll just write a lovely review about this motel and your fantastic pl skills on trip advisor".

Well I get to the room the phone rings and it's the manger "I'm sorry I dont want any problems you may check out early"

Conclusions if you do decide to go to this motel you have trip advisor to use in your advantage if you have any problems with the manager as I'm sure you wont like her attitude.

One good point, it is one block from the beach!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude service smelly room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Bubblez
columbus ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2007

i was hesitant to book as i saw mixed reviews on this hotel but i gambled and went ahead anyways. this motel was spotless. my finicky 13 yr old daughter was even impressed which is remarkable as she is a snob and a cleanliness freak. the room was attractive and roomy. the clientele was well behaved and mainly families with children. it was quiet and our sleep was undisturbed. it had a clean bathroom and a great shower that had an adjustable head. the ac unit worked well and was fairly quiet. the pool was small but we didnt care as we used the beach. the location was great. one block from the main drag and another from the beach. it was almost dead center of the activities of va beach. the price was incredible considering it was the height of tourist season.
we visit va beach every year. my daughter wants to return to this hotel. i am sure we will. one of my main motivations to write this was to dispell the bad press that some have given this motel for no apparent reason.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — speed bumps
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank rob s
Toronto
Reviewed 15 August 2006

For those who typically stay at hotels/condo/suites this motel might not be the place for you. If your an individual who doesn't expect much, but a clean room and a place to put your things while your out during the day; you will find a good deal here.

As many other reviews WARNED me about the poor service at the front desk I went there prepared. When you call to book a reservation insist for the person to quote you a total per day including general tax & hotel tax. (FYI: If you book via the internet, they do not include those rates and I believe they sit at 13%. It's better to book via phone because its cheaper too, well for this motel) Also, get confirmation emailed to you after your phone call. The front desk claimed I booked for 2x rooms with 2 adults and other one with 3 adults. Where as I orginially booked for 2x with 3 adults in each room. Once I pulled out the confirmation they stopped the request for more money. Just remember to have proof to anything you agree on the phone when you check in.

Anyhow, when we arrived from Toronto check in is at 3pm and we request to check in earlier at 12pm if the rooms were ready. I tired to be EXTRA nice because you will notice the front desk people are overworked and quite "snappy" so don't aggravate the problem. Sure enough we got to check in 1x out of the 2x efficiency rooms by 1pm, so we could unload into one room. I was pleased to be accommedated quickly.

Now to the rooms! We booked 2x efficency rooms, so we could eat in our rooms and save some extra money. The rooms are clean and the set up are quiet spacious, mend you we booked the EFFICENCY room. The washrooms were cleaned everyday and fresh towels where changed too. The washrooms floors where a little chipped and some of the wallpaper were coming alittle undone. But more importantly the towel, sink and shower were well maintained and usable.

I have very sensitive skin and I wasn't itchy at night sleeping in the beds. Mind you I brought extra sheets, but I did not use them. The table, drawers, and etc were old and worn out, but they did the trick. The kitchens are decent, but I was hesitant to use their ovens. They did not look as clean as everything else. I would suggest to bring a pan and spatula, because they did not have everything in each room the same with utensiles and etc. Luckly, we were able to mix and match with 2x rooms.

The pool at the motel is very small. If you wanted to do laps, go to the beach. Not many people used the pool while I was there, including myself.

The biggest BONUS of staying at Sundial Motel is the location. If your looking to hit the beach regularly, go to a disco/club in the evening, check out a hunted fun house, walk by the beachfront entertainment every night, eat at local restaurants then you got yourself a great spot. Everything was approx. 5minute walk from our motel. It may get a little loud because of the cars and people walking on the street at some times, but if your on the 3rd floor it's fine.

The website states they offer guest laundry and that is a BOLD LIE! Note, ask these questions before you book because the website of the hotel doesn't seem to be true. They denied every saying they offered guest laundry service, so be careful if you need something specific.

Warning for ladies! My friends and I are in our mid-20's returned from a late evening and our rooms face the McDonald's restaurant. In the evening there are a lot of people driving in the parking lot. Well some gentlemen saw us and sure enough came up to our floor without our permission looking for us. I don't think they had any negative objectives, but locals could come right up without any security issues. So, just lock your doors and walk back to your rooms ware of your surroundings like you would when you walk on the street. FYI!

In the end, if you want a hotel to sleep in at night this is a decent choice. If your vacation consist of staying in your room, you might want to look somewhere else.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The doors need to be shut hard to lock properly
  • Tips/Secrets — Book reservation via phone, its cheaper and get the hotel tax rate too!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends