“pleasant last minute surprise”

Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
Ranked #62 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 27 August 2014

great price staff very nice easy to work with room adequate for our needs great location right in the middle of everything no breakfast served but near many restaurants serving fast food or sit down service coffee in rooms with microwaves and fridges also

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackie f

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Spent 500$ for a two night stay at the end of August. That was not a surprise but I will spend the extra money to stay in a nicer hotel or stay in one farther from the strip and deal with paid parking. Sirens and loud music lasted until 3am all weekend. I think they could at least afford a continental breakfast. Part of the parking lot is sold to guests so if you leave for the day and come back there may not be any parking because half the lot is sold to non-guests to make more money. That is a horrible idea and we had issues parking there. I will never go there again, there is no peace and quiet.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sid C
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were supposed to stay for two nights, but ended up checking out after the first, due to all the problems we had. The night that we got there, we notified the front desk that the bathroom was dirty (with caked on dirt in the tub and the previous guests' used washcloths hanging on the shower curtain rod), that there was damage to the bathroom door, that the phone and phone jack had been ripped from the wall, and that there were gnats and flies in the room. She made a note about the damage so that we wouldn't be charged for it, and told me that the bugs were the result of everyone's wet clothes being hung out to dry. The next morning, we went to breakfast, and then the oceanfront for a couple hours. When we got back to the hotel, my wife noticed that there was vomit in the sink drain, causing it to drain slowly, and with said vomit there were gnats and maggots. We immediately went to the front desk, told her about the bugs, and about the excuse we were given the night before, and we told her we wanted to check out and be refunded for the second night, since we wouldn't be staying. The woman at the front desk told us that since we didn't tell her about it in the morning (before we knew what was wrong), that we were out of luck on a refund or another room. Run from this place like the plague!

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank MoriahT4
Reviewed 14 August 2014

It's all about expectations. If you're looking for a basic room, that's clean, safe and close to the beach, then this place is the way to go. This isn't the Hilton, it's not even a Motel 6. But I had my kids here and had no complaints. Desk staff was friendly, pool was small but clean, parking was easy and the location is great. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wec1963
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have stayed at several high and low end hotels in this neighborhood. Now we just stay here. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is friendly and helpful. We really feel at home here. The rates are the best we've found in the area. We usually stay for a long time and get an efficiency room which gives us a fridge, kitchen and extra space. Our room last time had a new fridge, tv, ac, and bed and new or very clean carpet and shower. We were on the third floor and had a very nice view. Clubs and good food start half a block away and the beach is only two blocks. We liked being able to park the car and walk to dinner. It was really easy to get to the main highway from the hotel without having to deal with bad beach traffic. The parking attendant made sure we always had a spot even on Saturday nights. Most of the other guests during our stay were families with kids and it was busy and loud outside but we couldn't hear any of that in our room. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: The east building is newer and top floor view is nice, especially for the fireworks.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank t k
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This in doesn't deserve the three star it has. The room was not what u had expected. The rooms are dated and bathrooms were dirty. The last night we stayed which was Thursday there was an extremely loud group that kept us and my son up with first their unnecessarily loud love making and then the rest of the gang showed up and started yelling and making threats to the other people in the group. We called the front desk and requested they do something ie call the police they responded with "we will handle it" police never came. My husband is police but off duty and unarmed. The group smoked outside our room which was a nonsmoking room so the ac unit sucked the stench in the room. Was going to leave at 2 am because of this but since my son had half fallen asleep I had to let him sleep. Very very disappointed with how this stay at the Inn was. I will never stay here again. I make it a point to stay nowhere less then a three star rating and this place didn't deserve the rating it had been advertised to me.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I and our 3 children stayed 5 days. Got great deal on price. Rooms were very clean. Staff checked ph in pool twice a day so it was very clean. All staff was very helpful
and friendly! We were only 2 blocks from beach. My only complaint was the dang airplanes flying all day and night you could hear them in your room.

• Stayed: July 2014