“Great Price for a block away from beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Marlin Motel

Blue Marlin Motel
Ranked #87 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Great Price for a block away from beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was very nervous about booking a cheaper hotel, with hope of not checking into the bates motel. I was very pleased with the staff and our room. The tile floor in the room got slick a few times from my kids tracking sand in the room upon returning from the beach, but nothing major. Alot of great shops and restraunts within walking distance. I will keep this hotel in mind if I plan another trip to Virginia Beach.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Clinton, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at the hotel. Room 419 ocean view. Looks nice inside the room but not worth saving money to be bitten like crazy. First night I woke up with a couple of bumps on me and just thought a mosquito had bitten me. Second night I woke up to over 55 bites on me. I told the front desk and showed some of the bites to them along with an actual bed bug that I caught from the back of the mattress. Was told he would call the owner and have the owner call me. We got our stuff and a can of bed bug spray from Walgreens and checked out. Upon checkout I asked about the owner and was told he had left two messages on the owner's phone and that I should get a call. It has been 10 hours since that conversation and I have yet to receive a call. Please do not subject your family to this unclean place! Pay a little more and stay somewhere that you can be comfortable and not paranoid about being infested. I will be contacting the local health board tomorrow and filing a complaint. DO NOT PATRONIZE THIS BUSINESS!

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel other than this one.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 482John_L482

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

this is the first time we stayed here at the Blue Marlin but to tell you the truth it was a joke. first we checked in and it was raining so we park the car near the front so it was easy for us to bring our stuff to the second floor which had no elevator. once I got into the room there was nothing the bedroom made, nothing in the kitchen no tables no chairs. there is nothing for us to put our clothes on or hang up there was cloest so we used the iron board.after we came inside the room I went downstairs to ask them if they had any pots or pans no coffemake and the stick cause it squeezed in tight spot. they tell us we had to bring owe. Then later in the week were gold that we had to move our vehicle because our car was blocking the view. All im sayin this hotel is terrible.

Room Tip: Make sure when booking room call ahead plenty of times before you leave to make sure there were no l...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank summergirl75
Feasterville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Virginia Beach in as many years and I have paid more than $150/night for 2 star hotels in the past. This time I booked with the Blue Marlin Motel- was skeptical in the beginning due to the mixed and very few reviews but I can say it was well worth the stay.

Its a very small Motel with few rooms , just one block from the beach. I- the check-in was quick, just took under a minute, Our room was on the ground floor.

Room: the room consisted of 2 double beds, a large apartment style refrigerator, and a kitchenette, a TV with a good number of cable channels, and AC with thermostat stuck at 60 degrees. So in the middle of the night I had to get up to switch it off as it made the room very cold. The room does not have any kind of hangers. As I read this detail in one of the previous reviews, I had brought my own door hangers which proved very useful. If you are planning to stay in this hotel and coming with kids make sure you bring hangers or you will have no place to hang your clothes.
The bed was nice to sleep on- I am in my late 20s and I did not have any problem because of the bed. Now, wanted to point out something that many other reviews would find it a cause of concern while selecting a hotel- the bed comforters had many cigarette burn holes on them, made by previous travelers. you might want to consider this while selecting this hotel. I can understand that it is hard to control the type of travelers you rent your rooms to.

Pool: I never used it but this hotel has a small pool which I saw many people using it , and the hotel staff cleaned it daily in the evening. So, it seemed very clean.

Location and price of the Hotel: this Motel is located just one block from the beach, there is a 711 right across the street where you can buy ice or alcohol. the motel does not have an ice machine so you will have to buy it. I paid less than $150 for 2 nights total. so it was well worth to disregard some of the flaws of this motel.

I would definitely recommend this place, if you are someone who can overlook some of the flaws that I have mentioned, over the location and price.

Room Tip: Bring a clothesline/ hanger.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rahul p
Roanoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Had a bad experience our first night at Virginia Beach at the Travelodge at 1909 Atlantic Ave., stayed one night and checked out. Had stayed at the Blue Marlin on a previous occasion so went there to get a room for remainder of stay. Staff was friendly and accomodating on such short notice. Everything that we needed we were either handed it right on the spot or someone brought it to our room within just a few minutes. Rooms were clean and newly remodeled. Bathroom was spacious, bed was comfortable and for the most part it was pretty quiet. It's not oceanfront, but is within walking distance of many restuarants and stores. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip. Don't stay at the Travelodge, it's dirty and staff is rude.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Stephens City, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed at the Blue Marlin twice in the past, when it was owned by a different family. Back then it was kitschy but comfortable and friendly. Now it has new owners and they have cut everything to the bone. The rooms are recently renovated and clean, have the usual amenities including an iron and ironing board but...NO HANGERS OR EVEN A BAR TO HANG CLOTHES ON!! Not even a hook on the bathroom door! Free WiFi is offered but we could not get any of their four servers to connect in the room. I could connect if I stood outside, near the office..... Traffic is intended to enter the lot from Pacific Avenue, go through the lot to the garage, and exit the garage to a side street. Problem is, the end of the garage has a locked gate so you have to make a 3 point turn if parked in the garage and hope no one else is trying to come in from the street! Also, the garage has lights but they were never turned on....very dark at night. Good notes: the room was clean, maid service cleaned every day, the floor is tile, not carpet so it is easy to see that it is kept up. The AC unit kept an even temperature and was not noisy. Although not BM's fault, Navy aircraft were constantly landing and taking off from Oceana Naval Air Base, very loud...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karl S
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Upon arrival we went to the office and processed our paperwork. We had made the arrangements through cheaptickets.com. We were given a key card and we proceeded to our room. When we opened the door we were greeted by two unmade beds and empty beer and wine cooler bottles strewn about the room. We went right back to the office and told them we were leaving. The manager want to show us another room but we weren't interested. The manager said that he wouldn't refund our money because we did not take the other room. We will deal with the charges through the card holder if the charges should appear on our statement. My advice is to check out the room before handing over your credit card. I should have known that the place was a rat trap after seeing only two cars in the parking lot when we arrived and only a few any time we passed during our three day stay.

Room Tip: Avoid this place like the plague.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple