“Not a Fan Of the Floors, But Not Bad”
Review of Blue Marlin Motel

Blue Marlin Motel
Ranked #87 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 16 March 2014

They say never judge a book by it's cover...this motel makes this place out to be true. It looks shotty on the outside, but the inside is not bad at all. It's been recently renovated, which looks really nice for the price. The beds were comfortable. Everything was clean. The only thing I hated was the floors. The floors are all hard floors in the whole room which I'm guessing because its so close to the ocean. That makes sense, but not being prepared for not having carpet, we were not too thrilled. Otherwise, great room for the price! Please note, there IS construction going on that can be heard, but that's not the hotel's fault. For a quick trip, (especially out of peak season) I would return, just with shoes to accommodate their not being carpet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Blue Marlin Motel

Reviewed 15 January 2014

This motel is very nice, we had a great time. It is super clean, and the room are nice decorated with all the facilities: phone, tv with cable, kitchen, nice bathroom with hair dryer, closet, etc. It is at 2 min to the beach, even less. There is a nice bar near by and nice and cheap restaurent. They have special price for winter, and it is very cheap for what it is. And the person who is at the welcome office it is very nice and always ready to help. I ready to come back here again!

Room Tip: Some room have kitchen ( microwave, fridge and sink), some dont have.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank charlottealice2014
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel looks a bit run down from the outside but the rooms are adequate. Tiled floor in room was undesireable. Staff was very accommodating and switched our room after the last person smoked in our non-smoking room.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms get a view of the Atlantic!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2013

BLUE INN is in the process of renovating. Room 110 right next to the rental office and by the pool was very satisfactory to me. It is equipped with full fridge & stove, micro-wave, plenty of cupboards. But as of then (sept 2013) no table & chairs, no dishes, pots & pans. It will come as the owner/manger (?) told me... He is somehow shy but helpful. Bathroom is renovated, good bedding, a block away from the beach.

Unit 110 ? Lot's of space. A good choice for a couple and even for a party of 4 when it's ready... Enquire before you go .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M A
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We used to go to Blue Marlin many years ago. It started to become run down, so we stopped going. We recently found out that they had been sold and undergone major renovations. So, we decided to try it again. The rooms appeared to be clean. They have new furniture and the bathroom and floor was completely redone. Unfortunately, the beds had bed bugs. We didn't find this out until around 4:30AM when I work up feeling something bite me. We immediately got out of the bed and ripped off the sheets. We colllected the bugs in a cup. Threw everything that we had in plastic bags. The front desk manager was very nice and apologetic. They actually washed all of our clothes in their industrial washer. We didn't stay another night. We drove home. That evening I started to feel very sick. I woke up the next day with bug bites all over my body. I had an allergic reaction with over 350 bites/bumps. I wound up going to the doctor for a shot to help alleviate my symptoms. They reimbursed me for my hotel room, but not for my doctors visit or shot. So, buyer beware. Check your rooms thoroughly before bringing your luggage into a hotel room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank j4elmwood
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was a bit concerned after reading some reviews, and my husband was ready to change hotels when I told him about some them, but we went wearily.
We were surprised, and happy we stuck with original plan.
I paid about 60.00 a night for a 3 night stay. I would say we got our money's worth.
The location is fantastic, the room was clean, and we had no issues.

For the money it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sugarmag13
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were scheduled to arrive on a Monday and stay thru Saturday. At the last minute we decided we wanted to go a day earlier. Blue Marlin was able to accommodate us. We told them it would be a late arrival and they said no problem. We arrived at 1:30 a.m. and they were there waiting for us. The staff was amazing. They gave a us an oceanview room for the first night. We weren't suppose to check into our room with a kitchenette until Monday at 4. They said no problem. Come to the office any time after 11 a.m. and we will have the room ready for you. The room was very spacious with a large living area with 2 beds, large kitchen and good size bathroom. The floors were tile which was great because you weren't tracking sand and water onto carpet. Location shouldn't have been better. 7-Eleven right across the street. Restaurants all very close and the boardwalk 1-1/2 block walk. In addition, it is the center of the boardwalk where a lot is going on. Pool was very clean and quiet. I searched for hotels with what I was looking for for at least a week until I found the Blue Marlin. And for the price it sounded too good to be true. I'm glad we stayed!

Room Tip: Make sure you bring hangers and a clothesline as there are no closets in the rooms. Also, while the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family