“Cheap for a Reason - Blue Marlin Hotel”
Review of Blue Marlin Motel

Blue Marlin Motel
Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had a unpleasant experience to stay at the Blue Marlin recently. I was looking for a basic hotel with no amenities, in close proximity to the start and end points for the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach.

The location was good for this event. That's the best I can say. The room had a kitchenette with stove and refrigerator and a microwave, but I didn't use it. The bathroom was adequately stocked with supplies, and the room had two beds.

My first issue was the dirty floor. After ten minutes of going back and forth getting ready for bed, I looked at the bottom of my feet, and they were black (and I'm not). I had to take a wash rag from the bathroom, clean my feet, and throw the rag from the bed into the bathroom so I wouldn't resoil them.

My other issue were the people above me in a constant domestic fight. When mentioned the management shrugged off both issues. Granted this was probably bad luck but it seems they knew about this and took no action. Really?

Spend a little more and stay in a better hotel. You'll be happy you did.

Room Tip: This is not on the beach road. Basically location is not relevant. I recommend earlier check in so...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BBRR-conductor

Reviewed 16 March 2014

They say never judge a book by it's cover...this motel makes this place out to be true. It looks shotty on the outside, but the inside is not bad at all. It's been recently renovated, which looks really nice for the price. The beds were comfortable. Everything was clean. The only thing I hated was the floors. The floors are all hard floors in the whole room which I'm guessing because its so close to the ocean. That makes sense, but not being prepared for not having carpet, we were not too thrilled. Otherwise, great room for the price! Please note, there IS construction going on that can be heard, but that's not the hotel's fault. For a quick trip, (especially out of peak season) I would return, just with shoes to accommodate their not being carpet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This motel is very nice, we had a great time. It is super clean, and the room are nice decorated with all the facilities: phone, tv with cable, kitchen, nice bathroom with hair dryer, closet, etc. It is at 2 min to the beach, even less. There is a nice bar near by and nice and cheap restaurent. They have special price for winter, and it is very cheap for what it is. And the person who is at the welcome office it is very nice and always ready to help. I ready to come back here again!

Room Tip: Some room have kitchen ( microwave, fridge and sink), some dont have.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank charlottealice2014
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel looks a bit run down from the outside but the rooms are adequate. Tiled floor in room was undesireable. Staff was very accommodating and switched our room after the last person smoked in our non-smoking room.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms get a view of the Atlantic!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2013

BLUE INN is in the process of renovating. Room 110 right next to the rental office and by the pool was very satisfactory to me. It is equipped with full fridge & stove, micro-wave, plenty of cupboards. But as of then (sept 2013) no table & chairs, no dishes, pots & pans. It will come as the owner/manger (?) told me... He is somehow shy but helpful. Bathroom is renovated, good bedding, a block away from the beach.

Unit 110 ? Lot's of space. A good choice for a couple and even for a party of 4 when it's ready... Enquire before you go .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M A
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We used to go to Blue Marlin many years ago. It started to become run down, so we stopped going. We recently found out that they had been sold and undergone major renovations. So, we decided to try it again. The rooms appeared to be clean. They have new furniture and the bathroom and floor was completely redone. Unfortunately, the beds had bed bugs. We didn't find this out until around 4:30AM when I work up feeling something bite me. We immediately got out of the bed and ripped off the sheets. We colllected the bugs in a cup. Threw everything that we had in plastic bags. The front desk manager was very nice and apologetic. They actually washed all of our clothes in their industrial washer. We didn't stay another night. We drove home. That evening I started to feel very sick. I woke up the next day with bug bites all over my body. I had an allergic reaction with over 350 bites/bumps. I wound up going to the doctor for a shot to help alleviate my symptoms. They reimbursed me for my hotel room, but not for my doctors visit or shot. So, buyer beware. Check your rooms thoroughly before bringing your luggage into a hotel room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank j4elmwood
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was a bit concerned after reading some reviews, and my husband was ready to change hotels when I told him about some them, but we went wearily.
We were surprised, and happy we stuck with original plan.
I paid about 60.00 a night for a 3 night stay. I would say we got our money's worth.
The location is fantastic, the room was clean, and we had no issues.

For the money it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple