“Do not stay here if you have kids!!!!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Do not stay here if you have kids!!!!”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

They are not kid friendly! Spring hill suites is MUCH better! The management charged me $150 for checking out late (without notifying me of how much it would be) because my child was sick. The late cost was based on the highest rate, I did not know until they sent me a bill. I had to ask them to email me the bill. VERY dissatisfied!

1 Thank ATX-HOU
FairfieldAGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
I want to apologize you feel we are not kid friendly here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. I understand how hard it is when a child is sick to pack up and leave the hotel however we were sold out on your departure date and we had to have that room for another guest that evening. You chose to stay until 3pm which is a half day charge. This charge is not based on the highest rate, it is based on the selling rate that evening. Late checkout an hour after check out time is complimentary and based upon availability and Marriott Rewards Member status. You chose to stay until 3pm which we had to provide staffing for to clean that room. We did not choose to charge you out of malice I assure you, it is a standard policy at all the Marriott properties on the oceanfront. I do hope that everything else about your stay was wonderful and that the staff was helpful to you and your family during your stay. I hope all is well with your child, I do also hope you will give us another try in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The Fairfield Inn and Suites Oceanfront was a wonderful experience. The staff made the vacation - from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff. All made our day. We will return to this hotel on our next visit to Virginia Beach.

1 Thank scarrel
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We had the opportunity to stay the weekend at this wonderful location. Jess and whole front desk crew bend over backwards to make sure the guest is comfortable. Wonderful experience, we will be back in the fall.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank macfamily7
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Everyone was helpful which included getting us checked in early to the first available room. Also, we were told that we could keep our car in the free parking deck on the day of check out until 3:00pm and we could keep our key cards to use the hotel beach access door so that we could use the hotel bathrooms and water fountain. The room was clean and fresh looking with oceanfront balcony fron which you can watch the fireworks. The breakfast was only fair, pretty typical continental. They had difficulty keeping things stocked.......ran out of milk............toaster not great.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
FairfieldAGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
Thank you for your nice comments regarding your recent stay with us! I am sorry we had a hard time keeping up with the food at breakfast, our breakfast is a hot commodity every morning and always very busy! We hope you will come visit us again!
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Traveling with our family so had the Executive double suite with room for beds, and living room/kitchenette- just one bath.
Hotel was nice, but slightly dated, however clean and comfortable.
Great location to beach, breakfast was great, pool was clean(indoor).
We had two cars but only allowed one car per room, even with a suite. Manager claimed that they only have room for one car per hotel room. Had to park next door at Comfort Suites for $20 a night. At 10pm that night I looked at our parking lot and the top deck was empty - could have easily parked without any issue to other guests.
By the way- the Comfort suites next door had a very clean and updated lobby, and the front desk advised the entire hotel was renovated 8 months ago. Would definitely check them out next time and compare rates.

2 Thank Walter B
Thank you for writing a review for Fairfield Inn & Suites! We just went through a renovation that was completed January 2011 so I am sorry you felt we were still outdated. Also, we are strict on the one car per room rule only because if we allow it for one person on a night we may not be sold out, we have to allow it for others which could overlap on days we are sold out so we are consistent on this policy. I am sorry this affected your stay however and I hope you will return soon!
Medford, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2011

There's something about Fairfield by Marriott that makes us want to go back. Minor issues and all... We liked this hotel. Nothing fancy but it was clean and served it's purpose well. My  husband and I were in Va for a conference and chose to stay in Va Beach, some 25 miles from the meeting site. Sounds strange but we wanted a change of scenery after our daily conference attendance. Fairfield Va Beach did the trick. It was beautiful looking at the beach every morning and afternoon. We actually got in the hot tub and pool. I'm usually grossed out about using public facilities but these were well kept with no visible signs of creepy stuff. The lobby was updated and very inviting. Front desk personnel were nice and knowledgable. Ice water and cups always available in the lobby. Cons: 1) I'm not big on the motel style self serve free breakfast bcs people come in pajamas and act like they are in their own kitchen. 2) parking lot is tight and quickly fills up on the first floor. I never did see an elevator service for drivers who parked on upper decks but this could have been an oversight. 3) bathroom was a bit dated and the shower was dark, gray and uninviting. I wore shower shoes in the shower. 4) public computers were on the blink for a while however, the repairmen was actively working on them. We would probably stay here again with these things in mind.

Room Tip: Top floor has a great view of the beach and boardwalk for concerts and the like.