“Good Location for Family Trip”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The location was good. You could get to almost every restaurant or beach attraction within minutes and late night walks on the strip or the boardwalk always ended at the private beach entrance to the hotel - no complaints.

The staff was very friendly and even made a room change for us at our request with no hassles. At one point our A/C failed and they installed a completely new unit while we were out on the beach. We returned to a frosty room - very nice.

We asked for a new room - we got it. We asked for a new A/C - we got it. We asked for extra pillows - we got it. They took care of all the things that could have made our stay uncomfortable and to me, service is more important than anything. As for the hotel itself, It is a typical fairlfield inn and offers the basics.

Still we had free internet when we needed it, free breakfast buffet (be prepared to wait in line) and the location is perfect. The indoor pool was a saver for overbeached kids or rainy days. All in all it was a great stay.

2  Thank Bearman1

Reviewed 16 August 2011

From the beautiful ocean view when you walk thru the front door, the friendly desk staff to the spacious rooms- a wonderful experience. Daily breakfast was a bonus for hungry teens. Fresh fruits and yogurt to full hot meals. Located right on the boardwalk for easy walking access to shops and restaurants. Bike rentals nearby, chair and umbrella rentals right in front of the hotel. Clean hotel with all needed amenities. Gorgeous beach and pier views!

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Dnorthern
Reviewed 16 August 2011

For $247 a night we're expecting a cleaner room and a better service. We booked online for a higher room. When we arrived today we're given a room on the 3rd floor (OK, that's fine) but to our dismay...room is dirty! It looks like it wasn't vacuumed at all. Erin from the front desk (sent someone to clean our room) told us she's going to check if she can find us another room...and that was 4 hours ago. Other than that, I hope for our stay to be a pleasant one!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank PickyTravelingBears
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I must say, I was curious as to what experience I would get because I have read some mixed reviews here. After staying I can say that bottom line - I would be back and had a good experience!

Here's the specifics:

•When we checked in, the staff was very friendly and welcoming. They swiftly retrieved my reservation and were friendly when I didn't have my license plate number readily available for them.

•Don't expect great parking, but then again you're not going to have great parking anywhere along the oceanfront so compared to what I saw, I was actually quite pleased

•The rooms are pricey, starting at $250 per night when we stayed but once again, that's the going rate for a room the caliber of Fairfield Inn so we were happy to pay it.

•The room was a lot nicer than expected. They were current, modern and well-kept.

•The location was perfect as we were within walking distance to a few great restaurants and attractions

•The Whirlpool in the room was one of the downsides. It did not comfortably fit two people as we were hoping. Not a detriment to the room but we did hope for something a little bigger.

•The breakfast area did seem crowded during peak times but we weren't going for free breakfast so it wasn't an issue for us. Plus, it's free when everything else in the surrounding area costs quite a bit so of course it's going to be busy so given the circumstances it worked very well.

Room Tip: Shoot for the second or third floor. Even though it looks impossible, unload at the front door as th...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DuffyCruisers
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The room was nice and check in went well. Checked in early around 12 oclock and room was ready. Breakfast was busy but the food was plentiful. The only problem was that the drain in the bathtub was terribly clogged and we tried to call for assistance but no one answered the phone. The employees were all nice except for one front desk girl that seemed rude and bothered with questions. We won't name names. This was our second visit to this property, we had a good time and would like to go again.

2  Thank WVJs
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel has an awesome location and the rooms are adequate. Beautiful balcony views! However...... dont expect to save money because the hotel has a free breakfast. It is terrible, (i.e. frozen Jimmy Dean Breakfast sandwiches to heat up yourself, dry cereal boxes with no milk, processed heated up egg paties??). And getting this grub is like feeding time at the zoo, the dining area is entirely too small. We ate at the Holiday Inn, $12 for adults, kids are free and had a great Breakfast. (about one hotel or so down the boardwalk)
In a prior post the manager of this hotel claims to not know what is seedy about this area of Viginia beach. (A disclaimer - myself and my family had a great and safe time). BUT the store directly across from the hotel sells drug paraphenelia, knives, brass knuckles and T - shirts depicting explicit acts. And there are about 2 of these stores per block. In addition from our balcony we watched 3 people bring their worldly possessions and camp out for the night in the back of the hotel on benches on the boardwalk. Dont get me wrong, we were and felt safe in the hotel, and kept a watchful eye on the boardwalk.
As for the hotel itself, for the price we paid, $245 for a semi-suite, it could be better kept since the manager claims a full renovation was completed in January 2011, the bed covers had Chocolate??? stains on them, pieces of the furniture were chipped, there was debris in our room and balcony from previous guests, the sofa bed was not made up and we asked for sheets it took 45 minutes for them to come. In additon there is one custodian man who would grumble every time I passed him how "these people think Im here to pick up after them". In all no one seemed really happy to work here. No one really smiled, nobody thanked me for staying.
In all if you get a good price, go for it, it is liveable, they could make a great hotel, but they need to improve morale and self image.

7  Thank Frank S
FairfieldAGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2011

I am very sorry about your recent experience in breakfast at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. I would have to agree with you, breakfast is a hot commodity here and most of our guests take advantage of it since it is complimentary! I would highly recommend the Quiche personally! We have gone through a renovation ending January 2011 but it was not a full renovation. We did keep all the furniture minus the sofa sleepers which are new. We refinished all the dressers, coffee tables, dining tables and nightstands. We also did not replace the granite countertops in our suites since their condition is still great! Unfortunetly, we cannot control what the local stores are selling on their shelves. I would like to find out which man employee you encountered so I can coach him for success. Again I apologize you were not completely satisfied with our hotel and hope you will give us another chance in the future to prove to you we do care about our guests' and their satisfaction with our hotel and services.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed here for a long weekend and couldn't have been better located. We were right next door to bike rentals, about 2 blocks from the carnival rides and the pier and a few blocks from King Neptune and the giant water slide. We were steps away from the beach out the back of the hotel. And the Free breakfast was great too!
The only 2 complaints I would have is that there is no outdoor pool and the indoor pool was gross. Primarily becasue it was the first thing you came to when walking in from the beach so the water was murky at best. The hoses to wash off sand were not working the weekend we were there and I think most kids used the pool to wash off sand and salt water. The second compaint was that we were given stained towels, they were clean, but looked gross from stains. They really should have been thrown out and replaced, we just used them as foot towels by the tub.
Overall great location, a bit pricey (but then again every hotel is on oceanfront), the beds were awfully hard came home with a back ache and stay out of the pool!!

1  Thank LovelandMom

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel! I am sorry to hear that the rinse off showers were not working properly on the boardwalk. I am also sorry that you received stained towels. You are correct, we do need to replace them and I will speak with the Housekeeping Manager about this. I also apologize that our beds did not meet your expectations. I do hope however, you will return to our hotel in the future! Thanks again for your comments, comments such as yours helps us to improve our hotel!