“Good location, friendly service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good location, friendly service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites at the end of October 2013 for 2 nights. All rooms are ocean front which is nice. Absolutely every employee we met was very helpful and friendly.

Our first room was a suite on the 8th floor. It was smelly and the toilet had not been cleaned in a while. We were allowed to switch rooms. Our second room was a suite on the 3rd floor. It seemed clean. Scratchy towels. A few lights were out and our sheets had a large rip but, overall we were happy with the room.

Breakfast was yummy with a decent variety of food and drinks...best of all, it's free! The lobby was clean and nicely presented. There are a couple of computers and a large TV plus coffee all day. They were decorated for Halloween which was fun.

This is our 2nd stay here. The absolute only reason we would hesitate to stay here again is the rowdy group of "homeless" people that have chosen to occupy 3 benches on the boardwalk in front of Fairfield Inn & Suites. Hats on sideways, dancing, chasing pigeons, bumming cigarettes...not something I care to see or hear every time I'm on the balcony. Sort of intimidating.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Satchmoocat
Kirsten P, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and observations. We are always seeking ways to provide excellent service to our guests by listening to feedback. We love that you took notice to our great central location here on the Oceanfront. I understand how seeing homeless people while on your vacation is undesirable. Unfortunately, there are homeless people in the city of Virginia Beach. We do our best to monitor the activity on our property and provide a safe and clean atmosphere. I'm sure you can understand that we take this specific issue seriously and are taking proper steps to eliminate this issue.
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed at the Fairfield in Virginia Beach for 5 nights while attending a conference at the Virginia Beach conference center. This is a perfect location for anyone who enjoys a 15-minute walk from the hotel to the conference center. Clean peaceful room looking over the water. I opened my window and enjoyed the sound of the waves as I went to sleep each night. Each of the staff members were friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast offered all the basics. I'd definitely return, and recommend this pleasant hotel to anyone visiting Virginia Beach.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BobbiCO
Kirsten P, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you, thank you, and thank you for sharing. It’s always nice to hear our guest great experience. You could have stayed at many other places but we truly appreciate you choosing to stay at our hotel and for that we are honored. We hope to see you again soon!
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I arrived late for an overnight stay and was met at the front desk by Kirsten, Front Office Manager. She was every snynonym for "awesome." The room was extremely clean, room was nicely sized, beautiful oceanfront view and the free breakfast was most satisfactory. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Phillymama0
Thank you for the kind words and taking the time out of your day to share your feedback! It puts a smile on my face and warms my heart when our guests are happy. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to seeing you in the future. Thanks a million!
Ravenswood,WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Was at a conference and employer reserved this motel. Found out this was not a sponsor motel with the VB Convention center, 5 blocks away, so therefore no shuttle bus. I drove but colleages had to walk or arrange rides with others. My wife and I checked in later in the evening. A co-worker had arranged the checkin and had left a key to the room at the front desk for our arrival. The clerk was waiting on me and checkin was just a matter of walking up asking for key, and we were settling into a nice Oceanfront King room. The room was clean, well appointed for a tourist trap area, compared to Myrtle Beach or the OBX. Only Oceanfront rooms so you have to feel comfortable to reserve knowing this is the only option. The rates are a little high but you are on the Boardwalk area of the beach. Room service was very respectful of our privacy, linens were clean and replaced as needed, the bathrooms were larger than I would have expected, which was really nice. The continental breakfast was nice with a much larger selection than expected. The wireless worked great. The parking area was a little disconnected from the motel as they do not have an entrance to the motel from the garage other than ground floor, but is on the property. Half of the tourist industry of VB was closed for the season, but I can see this as a very central location when staying here for Vacation. As stated, staff was very pleasant at all times, which is very refreshing, the facility appeared clean at all times, and no really foul odors were found. They still have the Homeless folks on the Boardwalk, and noticed they were sleeping and doing other things on the benches every night, with only an occasional request for a light or some money from these folks.
We don't usually stay at higher end hotels on our trips, but as this was arranged for business, I have to say we were very pleased and comfortable with our stay at Fairfield Inn. I think online rates was $125/night, we were given discount of $99/night. I had a much nicer room at Myrtle Beach the same week for less, and was really impressed with that place, and as it was not a chain hotel.

Room Tip: Oceanfront only room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Jax405,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear you stay with us was pleasant. It feels good to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations but most importantly we were able to make your stay pleasurable! I will share your great review with our staff. I hope you return to us next time you are in Virginia Beach!
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I usually try to not review hotels poorly. Specially Marriott properties, since I worked for the headquarter! I emailed "Randy" and I waited more than two weeks, but it seems they really don't care about complains (at least the "non-public" ones).
I was there two nights (with one night in between). We go to VB every year and this was my first time at this hotel.
The first night I had room 802. We checked in pretty late and went out for dinner immediately. When I came back I realized that the toilet is extremely dirty. We were so tired that we didn't want to change the room. During check-out I told the front desk about it and the response that I got was "Oh, that is not good" !!! That's it! I specifically asked for a clean room for Saturday!
On Saturday the same front desk clerk was there and remembered me. I stood there for 15 minutes, because they weren't sure if my room is ready. Then he said I upgraded you because of your trouble! I got so angry, because I paid extra myself to get the spa room and he did NOTHING for my trouble on Thursday and before check-in.
After we checked in we realized there is a stain on the sheet! I saw housekeeper and asked her to changed it!
After all,late in the evening I decided to use the tub, but the electricity of that area (pump, light, and fan) didn't work! So I paid extra for nothing!
In the morning same staff took my cards while talking to another guest, without asking about my stay!

About the location: although it is not the hotel's fault, but for some reasons all of the homeless people stay near this property. Doesn't feel good!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank palmimp
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Palmimp,

I understand the aggravation you have regarding your recent stay. I am Randy, the Front Desk Supervisor and I am sorry you did not receive an email response. Guest issues are important to me and every one of our employees. Additionally, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and I understand how not receiving a working tub was upsetting. I believe we have a wonderful staff and am truly sorry you did not get the service that is expected. I would like to further discuss your stay with you if you are willing. Please contact me directly via telephone 757-422-4885. I thank you for your stay and your comments.
Huntington, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this Fairfield property for three nights in October 2013 while in the area for a conference. I was sold a king room at a rate of $99/ night.

The property is located along the main "strip" in Virginia Beach. The area is permeated with hotels, restaurants, gift stores and related tourist traps. It appears to be of late 1970s/early 1980s vintage and appears to have recently received extensive remodeling. The exterior is clean, attractive and well lit. Adequate parking available at no charge. Although some homeless persons were noted in the area, it appeared to be safe.

The lobby area is small for the size of the property and felt crowded at peak times. The space is well furnished and most attractive. Staff there were found to be polite, professional and made check-in a pleasure. They displayed an obvious commitment to excellent customer service. The obligatory food/shop area was, as expected, stocked with the essentials.

The property is served by a single block of elevators. Elevator cabs were found to be clean and well maintained.

Interior hallways were found to be clean and well lit. Expansive windows line the street side of the hallways allowing for abundant natural light. Carpeting in this area was in good condition.

The room was found to be clean, neat and well furnished. Bright, tropical colors were the order of the day. This is expected at a beach property. All electrical appliances worked as advertised and there were plenty of charging access points. Internet speeds were good and access was simple. These points are truly appreciated and valued by business travelers.

Bedding was found to be typical for the brand and price point. The mattress was comfortable and in good condition.

The bathroom was found to be clean and neat. Hot water service was prompt and continuous and pressure was good. I was surprised by the low quality of the bath towels. They were more typical of those found at a motor inn or Super 8 than at this price point. Another bathroom surprise was the lack of varied bath amenities, particularly body lotion. This was complicated by the fact that housekeeping failed to replenish the supplies of what was there when I arrived. This is an attention to detail issue.

Breakfast was typical for a mid-priced chain, but the offerings were the same on each of my three days there. The only change, albeit minor, was the breakfast meat served each day. During peak times I noticed that the breakfast area was dirtier than that which I commonly see at peer properties. Again, a little more attention to detail by staff here would be a big improvement.

I don't often frequent Fairfield Inns. While this was certainly a clean, comfortable stay, I question the overall value of the stay versus similarly priced properties from other chains. If necessary, I would stay there again, but it would not be my first choice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cburley
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
cburley,

Thank you for your detailed review of our property. We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests so we may know how we are doing in our service delivery. I'm happy to hear you found our hotel staff polite and professional and your room clean and accommodating. I understand your frustration with our bath towels. I am happy to say we are currently in the process of replacing our bath towels with a much thicker towel for our guests. I thank you again for writing such a detailed review of our property, I will share your comments with our staff.
copperhill, tn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This place is great, we will definitely stay here again if we return to the area. Parking is not a problem with their attached parking garage plus outside parking if you prefer. Friendliest greeting we have ever gotten at a hotel, and about 10 minutes after getting to the room, we were called by the same lady to make sure the room was to our liking and see if we needed anything. The room was fabulous..... clean, modern, roomy, and, as with all their rooms, a balcony overlooking the ocean. F-18s flying over the area during the day were noisy, but stopped at bedtime. Very quiet room, and great bed. Wonderful free breakfast, we couldn't think of anything which would have improved our opinion of this hotel. Also very reasonable considering the location and amenities. If available, Fairfields are always our hotel of choice, and this one reaffirms our decision.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blackie205
Cg205,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property. We appreciate such a positive review and for pointing out our staff service, cleanliness, and excellent value. We hope you will visit us again in the future.