“Good location on the boardwalk”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had never stayed at a Fairfield before this visit. Desk staff were helpful, rooms were comfortable and clean. We were on the 6th floor and loved the view. Don't stay on the 1st floor.
Coffee and water all day, room and lobby internet, indoor pool and a terrific breakfast buffet.
Two areas we did not like; not enough luggage carriers for check-in and check-out. Only 2 for the whole hotel. Second; one Men's and one Woman's bathroom for the morning breakfast and beach traffic is not enough.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor. They tried to give us an early check-in but after seeing the locatio...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank beachpop
Charles B, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you so much for you kind words. I will be sure to let my staff know that you felt welcome as soon as you arrived. Comments like this really make the work we do here at the Fairfield Inn and Suies worth the effort. We pride ourselves on providing quality customer service to every guest that walks through our doors. I am glad that you were able to experience not only our wonderful staff but also the beautiful oceanfront view from your room. Feel free to come back and visit us at anytime. Thank you for your comment and for selecting Fairfeild Inn and Suites, have a wonderful day.

Respectfully,

There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was really excited about staying at this hotel after reading the recent reviews. I just knew we found the perfect hotel, as I have stayed in many different hotels on Atlantic Ave on Virginia Beach. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was nice, but after the reading the rave reviews, it wasn't what I expected. The staff were pleasant, expect for the gentleman who brought us extra towels, we seemed to inconvenience him. Only one set of elevators and they were slow at times.

Room - The room was clean especially for a beach front room. It didn't smell like mildew or wet swimsuits. We stayed in double bed room. We had two adults and a 10 year - needless to say two double beds weren't enough so we had 4 nights of uncomfortable sleep. The hotel didn't have any extra cots available. I didn't fault the hotel for this. The quality of the furniture was not the best, the bed linens were sub-standard. The chair at the table and lounge chair, both had rips and tears. The balcony furniture consisted of plastic chairs and table that you could pick up from Wal-Mart - nothing spectacular. The balcony table was stained and dirty and we didn't use it.

Pool - Really, really tiny. The pool water was cloudy during our entire stay. The maximum allowed in the pool was 20 people. Not big at all.

"Fitness Center" - (I place that in quotations on purpose) No free weights. Only 3 pieces of equipment - my suggestion - jog/run on the boardwalk.

Breakfast - that was the highlight of the hotel. Very nice! They had scrambled eggs, either bacon or sausage and diced potatoes. Cereal, various bread (muffins, bagels), fresh fruit, yogurt. Suggestion would be to get there before 9am - it tended to get crowded after 9am and there was no place to sit.

For the cost of the hotel, ($289/night) I expected a little bit more quality. I've stayed at worse hotels on Atlantic Ave, but I've stayed at better ones too.

Location - perfect! Right in the middle of everything! Bike rentals are right at the hotel. The fireworks were literally right in front of the hotel. The bands weren't far from the room at all.

Restaurant suggestions - GO TO GIOVANNI'S!!!! It was absolutely fabulous. It's across the street about a block up from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank VaBeachBum2

Thank you so much for you feedback. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your visit to Virginia Beach. I am sorry to hear that the free Wi-Fi, complimentary breakfast, indoor swimming pool, complimentary coffee that is available 24 hours every day was not up to your satisfaction. I will be sure to pass this information on you management and we will use the information your provided to better our hotel. Thank you so much for you feed back and we hope that in the future you will give us another opportunity to provide you the service you deserve. Thank you for choosing Fairfield Inn and Suites and have a wonderful day

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights family vacation. It is a very nice place at the perfect location. You can walk or ride a bike to anything you would want to do. It is located directly on the boardwalk, which is great. The best thing about this hotel is Iris, the operations manager. She is very professional and if you have any problems at all, and you get the run around from others, ask to speak to her directly. I'm sure she will make you happy. We also had a plugged shower drain and we no sooner hung up the phone with front desk and a very nice service guy was there and fixed it quickly. I wish I would if gotten his name.

Room Tip: suites are awesome
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Charles B, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Wow, thank you so much for your positive feedback. The Operations Manager is Iris and if you had an issue with your drain and it was fixed in the evening then that would have been Tom. I will be sure to pass this information on. Here at the Fairfield Inn our main focus is making sure the guest feels welcome and is happy with the services we provided. We hope this will not be your last time visiting us and when you do come back we will be sure to provide the quality service you have associated with this hotel. Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn and Suites and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Perfect location right in the heart of the VA Beach boardwalk. Plenty of parking in garage. They let us park the entire day even after we checked out. We paid extra for the whirlpool suite. Was nice to relax in the hot tub listening to sounds of the ocean. The beautiful view from the oceanfront balcony is perfect for sitting back and people watching (very entertaining). Only issue is that the indoor pool is small and infected with children. Go to the beach

3  Thank Paul W
Charles B, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Wow thank you so much for you kind words. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Fairfield Inn and Suites. Here at the Fairfield we take pride in providing quality customer service to each and every guest,. We hope that we have done something that will make you come back and visit us in the near future, Thank you so much for selecting Fairfield Inn and Suites and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed for 3 days with my sister and cousin. We originally had a room with double beds but was called and offered a free upgrade to one of their suites. We arrived early and were able to check right in. The room was spacious with a microwave and refrigerator. Very clean and well laid out. The entire staff was exceptional, so friendly, accommodating, helpful. They all made us feel so welcome. We had a beautiful beachfront view and enjoyed their warm breakfast each morning. We hated to leave. I would definitely recommend this hotel for individuals or families.

1  Thank Jan J
Iris C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review, Jan J! I'm so glad we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade! Upgrades are hard to come by over the summer, so it's great that you were able to enjoy the extra space. Our staff is definitely top-notch and they all will be thrilled to read your rave review! Thanks for choosing my hotel and I hope you think of us again the next time you visit Virginia Beach! Have a fantastic summer!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Best hotel I have stayed at on the oceanfront in years! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, rooms were very clean and the large bathroom was great. The breakfast buffet was more than we expected and was very good with plenty of options to suit everyone along with 2 rooms to seat everyone. The workout room was disappointing for my husband as he is a gym person and it only had 3 cardio machines. The indoor pool was very tiny and on the days it rained was packed so we could not enjoy it. Overall, this would be a hotel i would stay at time and time again and I would give it an A+.

Room Tip: My suggestion would be to try and get a queen or king room if possible as those are a little larger...
1  Thank DisneyGal73

Thank you for your "best hotel at the oceanfront" review! I'm so pleased to read your wonderful comments about our breakfast buffet and seating! I'm sorry you all didn't fully enjoy the gym and indoor pool. I know that must have been frustrating at times. But thank you for your A+ rating - I hope you think of us again the next time you vacation in Virginia Beach! Have an awesome summer!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent a week here as my husband was playing in a Veteran's Cup Soccer Tournament in Virginia Beach. I cannot say enough nice things about the staff from the maintenance people to the housekeepers to the front desk. Friendly, helpful, exactly what a hotel staff should be like. Not once did we come in or leave without someone saying hello, how are you, have a great day or how was your day. In the scheme of things, not that important, but we noticed.

The hotel is located right on the beach and all the rooms have balconies facing the boardwalk, beach and ocean which was my main reason for booking this particular hotel. And because it is a Marriott, we knew it should be fine. It is older, definitely could use some updating and refreshing, but the room and bathroom were very clean - there was some peeling ceiling paint over the tv, the rug was frayed in places, but that was pretty unimportant because the cleanliness made up for it. The hotel lobby could use some work, but again, relatively unimportant. Location, location, location is the name of the game.

Complimentary breakfast was a huge plus, especially since we were on the run most days to get to soccer fields. It was ample and varied. It is extremely quiet--I spent whatever time we were in the room sitting on the balcony and you could hear all the noise from the boardwalk and beach; go back in the room, shut the door and instant silence.

My only negative is that is there is no lounge, bar, restaurant--I know there are lots and lots of places within walking distance, but at night or in between games, there were times we just did not feel like going back out again, so that would have been a plus. But it was my own fault for not doing more research before we booked. We will be back again the same time next year so am going to check out the other Marriott properties on Atlantic Ave.

Room Tip: I would guess they are all the same as all of them face the beach which is wonderful!! And they all...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mamacyn
Charles B, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. Our entire staff thanks you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a comment about the serviced we provided. Here at the Fairfield we take guest satisfaction very seriously. We take pride in providing quality service as well as our ability to connect with every single guest that walks through our doors. We hope that you will come back and see us again really soon. Thank you for choosing our hotel and have a great day!!!