“Pretty Good Stay at VB”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 22 July 2006

This was our first time at both Virginia Beach and a Fairfield Inn. We weren't sure what to expect with both and were actually very pleasantly surprised. The Fairfield Inn is in a great location right on the Boardwalk & about midway along the Strip.

We didn't try the pool but noted it was always well patronised.

No negatives about this hotel. Sure, parking could be a little better, but it wasn't much of a problem to move the car down to the front to load/unload luggage when checking in/checking out.

Great staff! Let us repeat, great staff! Front desk especially very friendly and remembered our names during our stay. Fairfield Inn management, you've done well!

Great room. The combination of a real comfy King bed & the sound of the surf and we both were throwing Z's in no time!

Breakfast was more than adequate and good location downstairs on the Beach side.

Choices included:
4 x juices.
3 x cereals
3 x milks
fruits
Belgian waffles, breads, pancakes (so-so) & doughnuts.
"Funny eggs" (looked like small pancakes & not real appetising) and sausages (tasty and made up for the eggs).
Tea, coffee & drinking chocolate.

Also there was a free high speed internet station just behind this area.

We hope someday to return to VB (too little time; too much to see) & certainly will stay here again.

Regards,
L & M from Oz

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank L&M_from_Oz

Reviewed 17 July 2006

My husband and I had just spent 9 days on a family reunion down in the Outer Banks (OBX)(about a 3 hour drive). It was not a great relaxing time, to say the least. We had flown into Norfolk, rented a car and drove to the OBX. We drove back to Virginia Beach when the reunion was over because it's about a 10 minute drive to the airport. We had planned on spending 1 night on the beach and flying out the next morning. When we neared the beach in or rental car (Thrifty sucks) it was a beautiful day and the area was immaculate. We knew we were getting to the beach way earlier than check-in was supposed to be, like at 10am (check-in is 3 or 4). I called the hotel from the nice, clean visitors center that is LOADED with a billion different fliers on things to do and places to go. The hotel said that they will get us in as soon as possible and that we can always leave our things with them at the front desk and they will give us a pass key that will let us get in and out of the hotel (which is secured with these keys). It took us all of 15 minutes to get in our car and get to the Fairfield Inn. We sat in the lobby for about another 10 minutes, which was actually pleasant since it was so hot outside. As my husband and I sat there realizing that this was a great hotel in a fantastic location and it was beautiful there... we decided to extend our time at the Fairfield Inn an extra day during the busiest weekend of the summer. I said that if there is a room available, the flight can be switched and we can extend the stupid rental car... then we will know it was meant to be. I walked up to the counter, where the attendants were unbelievably nice, and the gal told me that they actually JUST had a cancellation and that we could stay an extra day. To top it off, she told me that there was a room available for us. It was 10:30 and they were actually checking us into our room!! It was very very clean, smelled like citrus and had an AMAZING view of the beach!! We had the 5th floor about 2 rooms from the elevator. Our room was extremely quiet at all hours of the day and night. I couldn't hear a thing! There are 2 elevators and I had to wait 2 minutes at the most, on 1 occasion. The breakfast lasted longer than most hotels I have stayed in, which was nice. They kept it completely stocked until the last person was finished at 11am. Eggs, sausages, oatmeal, waffles, cold cereal, yogurt, toast, bagles and more. OJ, Cranberry, grapefruit and apple juices were served as well as milk and coffee. There was a coffee bar that was opened 24 hours a day. The coffee was slightly strong for me (and I like Starbucks... so you know it had to be strong). There was a computer that you could use for free and a printer with it... also free to use. They had a small convenience area next to the check-in desk where you could buy water, juice, tea... chips and other items. It was nice as well. At night there was a live band playing right next door and another 2 hotels away. There were other bands playing at various locations as you walked (or rode your bike) down the beach. At no time did the music interfere with my sleep or was it loud. I couldn't hear it in my room at all. On the street side of the hotel (at night) was the strip where all of the shops were located. The hotel is perfectly located. There were a HUGE amount of police everywhere, including the beach and boardwalk. When I say a lot of police... I mean a LOT of police. On our first day I watched nearly 40 people get a ticket for various things like having alcohol on the beach, fighting and swearing... yes, swearing! There are these signs posted everywhere that have @%#* with a big red circle and a red cross through it. We asked the hotel police officer (not a hired security guard) what the deal was with the high number of police. He was VERY nice and took a lot of time explaining that and all of the things to do and places to go. He said that if there are a lot of police present, the beach stays family friendly. Not only that, but it allows the police to be nice. He said that if there are one of two police and a huge group of unrulley people, they have a difficult time keeping things under control. With the high number of police present, that is not an issue. There were probably 5-10 police on every corner of the heavily populated areas. I saw them on foot, on bikes, in cars, on hoarses and on dune buggies. I felt VERY safe!! Overall... my vacation was fantastic and the hotel made it that way!!! Kudos to the Fairfield Inn & suites! Oh... the indoor pool and hot tub were great too!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank hlalwine
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 8 July 2006

My family had a great time at the Fairfield Inn. We have 3 small children. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The breakfast was nice (no need to leave the hotel then straight to the beach). One thing with breakfast the staff promptly removed it when the time frame was up. I was there at the same time that another poster said that they smelled smoke in the lobby. I must have been in a different hotel because I did not experience that. I never saw people smoking in the halls. Like most beach front pools it was loaded with sand and the hotel towels were making regular trips to the beach from other guests. I would recommend staying here at the prices were very nice the week after Memorial Day. We stayed there from Memorial Day till the following Friday.

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 July 2006

Pros:

Location. You are in the middle of everything in VB. Right on the boardwalk and every room overlooks the ocean. Live entertainment every night on the street. A block from putt putt and a couple of really good restuarants.

Great, friendly staff with plenty of suggestions for activities and restuarants.

Used Marriot Reward points so it was free (kinda).

Descent breakfast with sausage, egg like discs, toast, cereal, milk, fruit, juice. Better than paying $30-$50 per morning for breakfast elsewhere.

Cons:

Beds were really small. I would happily take less room in lieu of a bigger bed. The double might have been a full size bed, but barely enough room for the wife and I. I sugest that you get a King room and make the kids sleep on the pull out couch :-)

Prices are very expensive if you are paying out of pocket.

Too few towels in the room when we checked in. Easily solved, but kind of a hassle. A simple note and a small tip and our room overflowith with towels for the rest of our stay.

Busy breakfast area which makes finding a seat sometimes difficult

The pool. Tiny (read "3 queen size beds pushed together")and loud (low ceiling, water, tile, and glass for the sound to bounce off of). I suggest you enjoy the ocean instead, after all, that's why you came to the beach.

I also highly recommed Sharx sports bar.It is kinda like an Applebees. One block over and one block up from the hotel. Believe it or not, I had one of the most flavorful and tender steaks of my life there (and that's saying something) for only $11. I also recommend that you try a Grinder from the sub shop across the street(pacific) from Sharx. Messy but great!

Remember!.... "be a traveller, not a tourist"

13  Thank honeymoonin
virginia beach, va
Reviewed 29 June 2006

My family and I have stayed at many hotels throughout the years of traveling. I have never come across any hotel that has the upmost professional staff, from the front desk to the cleaning personal. The best part about the experience was the breakfast in the mornings. They offer a WIDE variety of foods, even eggs and bacon and sausage. The rooms were cleaned well and had a nice view.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 June 2006

My only other experience with the Fairfield chain was an old, tired motel style located somewhere off the PA turnpike. The Va. Beach Fairfield should not be included in such company, what a wonderful hotel! It is way, way above the "budget" category of hotel.

Walking into the lobby, everything was spotless and so it continued thru the corridors, into the rooms. For an oceanfront hotel, the only time I saw any sand was in the indoor pool (later I saw a worker vaccuming the pool) and after my kids had taken off their swimsuits in our bathroom. There always seemed to be cordial, pleasant staff around the hotel, keeping everything in tip-top shape. They quickly sent us some extra pillows when requested.

The room itself was about average size, everything modern & new. Mattresses were comfortable and had the new Marriott sheeting. Bathroom had large granite counter w/ 2 sinks. Balcony was fine for the 2 chairs & was private (couldn't see balconies on either side.) The hotel is right on the Va. Beach boardwalk but it wasn't a noisy area. Mostly families just walking, biking & jogging. We slept with the balcony door open, there's nothing quite like going to sleep with the sound of the waves. One minor negative, there is a 3 inch high sill between the room & the balcony -- we all tripped over it once & then we remembered it the next time.

The breakfast bar was great, easily saved $20+ a day. Eggs, sausage, bagels, fresh fruits (even had grapefruit halves) yogurt, & pastries, etc...Staff kept it well stocked the entire breakfast time. Indoor pool was fine, kids enjoyed it -- also long enough for short laps. Hot tub was clean & correct temp. Plenty of towels during busy period. I even saw a manager replenishing the supply. Exercise room only had treadmills, stairstepper & cycle but it is overlooking ocean & I didn't feel like I was on display while working out.

Hotel is in wonderful location, tons of different restaurants & shops within walking distance. Evening live music on the street behind the hotel was an unexpected treat. We didn't move the car during our 3-day stay.

I'd put the Fairfield head-to-head with any of the mid-range hotels -- a great place for a family vacation.

15  Thank scooper0221
Northe Canton, OH
Reviewed 20 June 2006

This hotel is a winner!! The rooms were always clean, the staff were courtious, and the rooms with the balconies are great fun if you're a people watcher. Great Location!!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member