“Very Nice Hotel, Not friendly”

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel frequently as we own a small business nearby and must travel to town once a month. We find it is the nicest hotel on the water in Virginia Beach. The rooms are well appointed, the restaurant is good. We like the Club level, but find that the quality of the food available in the club room has slipped since last year. Our only problem with the Hilton is the basic unfriendliness of the staff. They honestly don't care if you book with them or not. When I had to change a reservation, they kept my $350.00 deposit even though I am a frequent guest. They have a "rewards" program, but you actually need to PROVE you stayed there, they don't keep track!

Room Tip: The city view rooms are a better value, and most of the time you can still see the water.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank kaysandler
LorraineHilton, Executive Administrator to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear kaypaints:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. If you are a frequent visitor to the area as a business owner, you may want to consider setting up a corporate rate. If you are interested, please contact our Business Sales Manager, Justin Beale at justin.beale@hiltonvb.com.
We are happy to hear that you are a loyal customer, and thank you for your comments regarding the quality of food offered on the Empyrean Club level. Your comments are helpful, and will be shared to the General Manager and Empyrean Manager. Please also accept our apologies if you felt that the staff was unfriendly, we will address this in our morning meeting, as hospitality is our business.
We thank you for having chosen the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, and hope to welcome you back to show you improved services.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

We spent a quick weekend at this hotel and overall everything was nice. The view was good even though we could only get a dble partial city/beach. The doors and walls were very thin on the 17th floor and the guests were very rowdy and inconsiderate as they were having a party. I called security and they resolved the issue quickly. The staff was very friendly. I just regret not trying Catch 31 as relatives wanted to take us to other places for dinner. Try Citrus for breakfast. They were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Great seafood omelets! If I stay here again, I will for certain secure the King room ocean view.

Dear Tonyahall:
We are pleased that you had a nice weekend staying with us. Our apologies regarding the noisy guests, from time to time we have to remind guests that while we want them to relax and enjoy themselves, it is important to be courteous to those that are sharing rooms nearby. Thankfully, Security was able to correct the situation in a timely manner and resolve the issue.
Catch 31 is a great restaurant that offers a wide selection. Make sure to enjoy a drink on the outdoor patio by the fire pits!

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Several years ago, I committed to being a Hilton customer when it was feasible and economical for my travels. While I'm normally a Garden Inn or Hampton Inn customer "on the road", I chose the upper end for my November weekend in Virgina Beach. It was definitely off-season in the area, and I loved every minute of the stay.

The property was definitely Hilton high-class. The club-level was perfect and the staff there provided immecable service. The continental breakfast was...well, a continental breakfast. The evening appetizers and drinks were enjoyable. While I couldn't use it due to the weather, I couldn't resist a peek at the SkyBar and "Infinity Pool". Definitely worth a stop up there in the summer months!

Our ocean front room's balcony was put to use each morning with a cup of coffee from the Club. The views up and down Virginia Beach were spectacular and teeming with life...even on a chilly November morning. The nearby Aquarium provided great entertainment and the local restaurants were all very good. I even found my first "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" stop for breakfast a few miles away.

Overall, I thought the stay, service, attention to detail, and atmosphere was worthy of a Hilton Resort in Virginia Beach. Great value with above average elegance, and a great night's sleep each night.

Dear PatrickH34:
Thank you for taking the time to add your comments regarding your recent stay. When the summer season passes, it's a perfect opportunity to come and enjoy all that the beach has to offer, with fewer crowds. However, summer offers the warmer days and hours spent at the pool and beach!
I will be sure the pass your comments along to the Conciege Manager, as well as the General Manager.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Hilton, Virgina Beach Oceanfront, for a Retirement gathering. This is a beautiful Hotel! Staff was prompt and courteous, very clean rooms. Our room had a view of the beach- and the beach is now decorated for Christmas, what a treat that was!
Our Retirement event was also hosted here at the hotel - the food was wonderfull and again the staff was professional and courteous. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and event here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Gary S4:
Thank you for your post, we are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the indoor pool. We hope to be welcoming you back to the beach very soon!

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Great room with everything you need within the hotel. Hotel is central to everything and has fantastic ocean views. The pools will not disappoint!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Beautifully hotel from the lobby to the restaurants, to the public areas, to our room, especially since they were getting ready for the holiday season. All of the staff that we encountered during our stay were very friendly and helpful. Great location - right on the beach with good proximity to whatever we wanted to venture out to do.

Room Tip: Wanted a room with an oceanview and that's exactly what we had. Corner room had a window on the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jnmcast
LorraineHilton, Executive Administrator to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Dear jnmcast:
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for others to read. As we are preparing for the upcoming holidays, we are putting the final touches on our beautiful holiday displays throughout the common areas. I hope that you had a chance to see the 40 foot tall Christmas tree that is going up on the North side of our building for the annual Holiday Lights on the Boardwalk!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

With my free night certificate from Hilton Honors about to expire, I made an impromptu decision to head a few hours south to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Upon arrival, we headed straight for the parking garage across the street (with both hotel and public parking) and noticed the "please check-in prior to parking" sign after I had already made the turn into the garage. After a quick spin up and down the ramps, I drove back across the street and checked in. The lobby and public areas were beautiful, and everyone I encountered was helpful and friendly. I headed back over to the parking garage (all of which could have been avoided if I had let the valet park my car) and made sure I parked in a properly marked space for hotel guests. We had just put down our luggage in our lovely Craftsman-style room when I realized that I forgot to display the hotel hang tag on my rear view mirror. Back to the parking garage I went. Once we finally settled in, we headed to the Empyrean lounge for snacks and drinks (available to Diamond Club members and those who pay extra to stay on this deluxe floor). The beds were comfortable and the floor was peacefully quiet until about 1:30 a.m. when I heard fairly loud voices in the hallway. There were two knocks at my door, but I didn't even bother to look through the peephole since I certainly wasn't expecting visitors. The next morning we went up to the pool floor and took a dip in the indoor pool. The water was on the chilly side (probably because the doors to the outside were propped open). We moved to the outdoor hot tub, which was divine in the cool air. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean was beautiful, but very small for a hotel this size. It is definitely more of a focal point for the Sky Bar than an attraction for kids who want to cannonball into the water. It would be a challenge to have more than 10 active children in the pool at once. There is minimal seating in this area as well, so summer guests would definitely want to take advantage of the hotel's free beach chairs on the beach (I believe they offer two per room). I left my keys in my room at checkout as instructed on my key sleeve. On the way to the garage, I wondered how I was going to get out without my room key to put in the slot. I went to the front desk, and they cheerfully made me another key just for that purpose. They said I could have also shown my receipt (although I didn't get one since the room was free). After I finally escaped my parking garage challenges, we explored the boardwalk and had pancakes at the Pocahontas Restaurant. It was a beautiful hotel and perfect for our quick getaway.

1  Thank Keegan4
LorraineHilton, Executive Assistant to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Dear Keegan4:
Thank you for the detailed review; I am only sorry that you had so many trips to the parking garage!
We do have a fabulous rooftop pool with breathtaking views of the ocean, but we find most of our guests enjoy the activity of the beach and playing in the ocean, so we don't often have trouble with large crowds.
I am pleased to hear that you were able to use your Hilton Honors certificate and that the stay was memorable!