“Nickled and Dimed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, Virginia
“Nickled and Dimed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I splurged on a weekend getaway, but the Hilton just wasn't what I thought it would be.

First, there is a Hilton Honors line at check in. If you're not a member, people who haven't waited at all can just waltz in and get in front of you. REALLY? I'm pretty sure we forked hundreds of dollars a night to stay there. This isn't first class, it's a hotel room.

Next, is the issue of parking. You will be paying $7/day a day to park there and it isn't included in the room rate. To valet, you will need to pay $14 a day! And don't think that you can easily "self park" yourself; the hotel goes out of their way to make sure it is as inconvenient as possible to self park. You are not permitted to use the luggage cart yourself. If you valet the first day, on the second day, you have change to self parking. My husband went to do this and because the reservation wasn't in his name, they gave him a hard time about moving HIS car. Oh that's the other thing, you will literally have to get your car and MOVE your car to a second spot, even if you don't use valet services at all that day! We when checked out, my job was to take the luggage down (without the cart of course) and my husband went to get the car. BUT you can't get out of the garage without a key...so then I had to drag my luggage across the street in the rain to rescue him. All to avoid a huge $14/day parking fee.

On to the internet. Not only will you be charged $10/day to use the internet, you'll have to pay $10/day per DEVICE!!! I originally agreed to the pay the outrageous fee on my i-phone to check my email for work. I figured we could watch a movie on our laptop later anyway. But, no that would cost $20 for 24 hours of use. COME ON! I pay $40/month for my internet access at home. And by the way, the internet was so impossibly slow, we couldn't even watch the movie! I called the front desk to ask that one of the charges be removed; I would just use the laptop instead. We were assured that the charge would be removed. Guess what happened instead?

We also went on the weekend of free beach music...whether you like it or not. So much for a quiet romantic weekend. This concert boomed music into our room from 5-10 on Friday and 12p-11p on Saturday. By the time if finally stopped on Saturday, I was ready to pull my hair out. I think the Hilton should never had allowed a concert to go on for that many hours two days straight twelve inches from their backdoor.

The Hilton is a beautiful hotel and I understand why people would want to pay top dollar to stay there. But be prepared to pay a lot more than the room rate to enjoy typical hotel services that are free and if you're not a Hilton Honor's member, don't be expected to be treated like royalty - move to the back of the line.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richmond_Foodie98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Midlothian, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We have stayed here several times over the past couple years. It is a nice hotel, but had a few problems which could be annoying...The hotel was booked to capacity (3 wedding, and 2 birthday's) and waiting for an elevator seemed to take forever. Three elevators for a hotel with 21 floors is ridiculous. When and elevator would get to your floor, it would be so full that you would have to squeeze in with everyone. We booked an ocean view king, but received a oceanfront double...I appreciate the oceanfront view, but sleeping in two doubles completely made me feel like I was Lucy and Ricky from I Love Lucy and put a dent in our romantic weekend getaway without kids. :) Overall, we would probably stay again, but would make sure I got the correct room. I feel like my room was given away to someone in the wedding party. :( The walls are super thin and I could hear people talking in next room. The man sneezed in the next room and I thought it was my husband. :) I said bless you and then busted out laughing when I realized it was not our room. :)

Room Tip: Do not slam your door...It is rude...I am sure your mother taught you better
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Feedback is appreciated, as it allows us to improve where possible.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences suffered due to the noise and crowded elevators. You have pointed out some very valuable points for us and we do intend to take your comments very seriously as it allows us to improve our service and quality where possible.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Usual Hilton elegance. The rooms are what you would expect from a Hilton. The front desk, room service, valet, bell desk, were all superb. No complaints at all. The ocean view room I had was on the 14th floor and basically was a side view with a balcony on the south side. Very noisy air conditioning unit below. Sound insulation was poor so the outside noises were audible and made for poor sleep conditions for a light sleeper like me. The elevators (four, I think) are insufficient for the volume of people and the 20 floors of this hotel. Valet parking is cheap ($14 compared to $7 for self parking). Food is excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank desimd
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The Hilton is in a superb location right on the beach. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. We stayed on the 15th Floor with a partial ocean view and had a nice view of the ocean. Rooms were small, but very clean and well maintained. The onsite restaurant was very over-priced considering the food was just so-so and the service was nothing special at all.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank bizziebtraveler
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This hotel is centrally located and the beach is the hotel's backyard. I was able to take my small kids to the beach in the early morning, come back for breakfast and back to the beach until lunchtime/nap and finally more beach time before bed. Of course, they slept like babies. There is an amzing play/jungle gym on the sand and it became a local "playdate" station.

You MUST, MUST have dinner at Salacia in the hotel. The chef is so TALENTED!!! You will not be disappointed on this one.

Ask the activites desk about the Dolphin boat ride...yes, you really do see schools of dolphins. So cool for me and the kids!

Two pools on the top floor with lots of lounging room...chairs and beds.

Very relaxing! Very friendly! We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for OCEAN FRONT on the empyrean level (top 3 floors and you need a special card to access those...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
I cannot thank you enough for your kind comments on trip advisor with regards to your recent stay. I will personally relay your feedback to our Chef who will be glad to know that his efforts contributed to your enjoyable stay.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance in the future, we would be more than happy to offer our help.
I truly hope to welcome you back.
san diego, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

We were originally booked at the homewood suites, but due to overbooking, asked to be moved here. Front desk staff seemed fairly clueless (we did check in after 9 pm on a Tuesday), however, I knew more about the Hilton honors program than the desk clerk. We ate at the restaurant on site, and wanted HH points, but she told us it didn't matter how much we spent at the property, we only got a certain number of points. Um, nope, that's not how the program works. Perhaps read the website regarding rewards between breaks/guests...

Room was okay, fairly large, but the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor. There were large yellow stains on our sheets, and despite being built in 2009, the furniture, carpet and room had a dated feel. Perhaps too much use?

In general, quite noisy from the navy jets flying over. I was also disappointed they didn't give us an oceanfront room given the fact we were moved from our original hotel, and this place is not booked on a Tuesday night. Why not give a HH guest the best room possible given the circumstances. In fact, we just rejoined the H H program, & were asked why we didn't stay more often at Hilton. Well, this is exactly why. In so cal, given the other choices like hotel palomar,whyvstay with a chain that doesn't make you feel special, with faulty plumbing, with untrained staff, with dirty sheets for the bargain price of$189 per night?

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank mdmjw
DavidSchaum, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry to read that some aspects of your stay have not been satisfactory, in particular with respect to the room and the front desk staff.
I have carefully reviewed your comments regarding your stay. Your evaluation of our various services and facilities is much appreciated, since it is only through guests, such as yourself, that we can make sure our standards correspond to our guests’ needs. Since it is the beginning of the season, we do have new employees, who are still training and learning. However, this is not an excuse and I will make sure to follow up with the Front Office Manager to assure everybody is familiar with the Hilton Honors Program.
Furthermore, I have discussed your housekeeping issues with the cleanliness of the sheets with the Director of Housekeeping, to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
Regarding the jet noise, we do have one of the biggest naval air base and we like to think of jets as a sound of freedom.
Again we extend our apologies and hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The Hilton Oceanfront is easily the nicest and most fashionable hotel on the Oceanfront north end of Virginia Beach. Located at 3001 Atlantic Avenue it's centrally located and on the quieter end of the strip right where Laskin Rd intersects with Atlantic Avenue. It's a beautiful hotel with a stylish lobby and great indoor/outdoor dining at Catch 31 (the hotel restaurant.) The problem with the hotel lie primarily with wear and tear and upkeep. The sink in my bathroom drained very slowly and left a layer of soap scum every time due to slow drainage. The bedskirts were worn and soiled on the beds in my room. This is probably due to the high volume of families this hotel accomodates during summer months. The only other problem I had was that I stayed on the 15th floor and the elevators are quite slow to arrive whether you're in the lobby or on your floor. For a hotel this large I'm surprised there are only 3 elevators available. Your wait during the summer months could be lengthy. The rooms are very well insulated from sound. I never heard other guests when in my room. The staff is very friendly and extremely happy to help in any way. If you're booking a vacation to this area you're likely expecting crowds as it's a popular destination for families. The Hilton Oceanfront is currently king of the hill in Virginia Beach for best hotel. During the summer EVERY hotel in Virginia Beach is at maximum occupancy whether they're a one-star or a five-star hotel. There are a number of new competing hotels being built right now just steps away from the Hilton so the competition should force all the larger hotels to stay current in order to win and maintain customers.

Room Tip: Try to book an oceanFRONT room. OceanVIEW rooms are on the sides of the building. OceanFront corners...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo