“great weekend getaway”

Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
richmond
“great weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great rooms and ocean view. Music by the water and also great food.

No reason to leave the premises for anything.

Actually met Bria Kelly and her parents, who was a top ten finalists on the voice. She happened to be singing on the lawn area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mechanicsville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Clean,quiet room.Great meeting facilities and terrific restaurant!Easy upgrade to ocean front room at a reasonable price with very friendly folks.Good,close parking.Catch 31 is a large,great! seafood restaurant where I love to visit each time I go to Va.Beach.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

David_Schaum1, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We sincerely appreciate that you took the time from your busy day to comment about your positive experience. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Regards,
Dave Schaum
Fredericksburg, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellent stay and facilities for our group of less than 300 attendees. Service and rooms were excellent, very capable banquet staff, restaurant and bar were well staffed. Would highly recommend to others.

1 Thank Tom M
Kingsport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Requested two rooms since I brought family with me. One room not ready until 6:30 pm. Staff rude and unhelpful. Heated pool not heated at all. Dinner was unpleasant due to waitress. She was visually upset that a family had entered the room. Not a place for family! Nice hotel in appearance and OK if you want to attend a meeting. Not a place for family. I would not recommend to anyone except business types.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

David_Schaum1, General Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
We are sorry that you had a bad experience during your recent stay with us. During the summer, 99% of our guests are families, and there are plenty of things to do. I am sorry that you didn’t find this to be so during your stay. Thank you for your comments about the pool. It allowed us to check to ensure that the pool’s heater was operational. Should you return, please let the front desk know that you are visiting with your family so that our staff can alert you of family orientated activities around the property.
Dave Schaum
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed there over this Memorial Day weekend. The location is perfect, especially if you have small kids like us. There is a kids' play area right on the beach in front of the hotel, and the hotel is right on the beach and boardwalk. There are several restaurants and shops within walking distance. The restaurant itself has a great, but pricely restaurant. The staff were all very friendly. House keeping was excellent, and came early each morning to clean our room. The only down side is that the pool is very small and on the roof. There are only a few lounge chairs around it, so it's not the best place if you're looking for a nice pool where you can just relax. I would stay here, again, mainly because of the great location.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a beach view room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mary h
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

From the time the valet greeted us at the door and we checked in, until we checked out, it was a nice experience. We arrived early for our room and were assured I would be sent a txt message when the room was ready. We went for a walk on the beach and finally at 4:30 we went back to the front desk and our room was ready (no message had been sent). We found out later we were supposed to have received a welcome package, so be sure to ask - local map, coupons, etc. But things went better from there. We stayed two nights in a club floor room. The room was spacious and clean with a nice balcony that looked out on the ocean with a couple of chairs and a small table - perfect for a cup of coffee in the morning. Beds were very comfortable and room had a refrigerator in it. Empyran Club room was worth the extra cost. Fresh brewed coffee every morning (a Starbucks machine that ground the beans and brewed the coffee). The machine produced lattes, cappuccinos, espressos even iced coffee. The continental breakfast was nice - lots of fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, even deli meats for the heartier appetite. Evening happy hour had heavy hors d'ouevres and alcohol was available for purchase. Concierge desk was very nice. Offered us beach towels and coupons for free beach chairs - be sure to ask on your way to the beach so you don't track sandy towels back to your room. Dinner at Catch31 restaurant was nice. We were offered several choices of oysters, then told the ones we ordered weren't available. Bring us oysters! we declared. Okay not really. Oysters we received were fresh and delicious. Wait staff always seemed hurried but for the most part attentive. We ate there two nights and waitstaff was able to recommend wines to pair with our dinners. There was always a wait for a table - no reservations taken - but the wait was short. There is a night club on the top floor of the hotel and pool there during the day that we understand is nice, though we didn't check them out. This hotel was located right on the boardwalk on the northern end of Virginia Beach, so not quite so busy. We were very happy to see there were restaurants, shopping and a spa all within walking distance. Biggest complaint I had was that the room was reserved with one credit card and paid for with another - I was assured when I made the reservation that nothing would be charged to the credit card used to reserve the room unless we didn't show up. Receipt at checkout showed that the full amount had been charged on the correct credit card. When I returned home, I saw that the credit card used to reserve the room had been charged for one night of the stay. When I called the hotel directly they told me that they always charged the credit card used to reserve the room for one night if the hotel was booked up (though I would have no way of knowing this), but that a credit would be issued in 2-3 weeks. Essentially I stayed two nights, was charged for 3 nights, and assured of a refund 2-3 weeks later. The woman I spoke with in billing offered to call my bank to have the charge removed that day, which I had her do. Although it was off my card within the hour, I would have been very unhappy if I had had to wait 3 weeks! Be sure to check your account.

Room Tip: Be sure when booking a beach side hotel that you ask for a beach front room, not a beach view. Corne...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katherine H
Midlothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel so many times I have lost count. The fact that I continue to return speaks volumes. It is a great choice for Virginia Beach and I always love my time here. For this particular stay, the room was very clean, housekeeping was timely, and overall, no complaints. However, there are a few consistent issues that I have brought forward in the past (as have others) that never seem to be addressed. Perhaps they are not of importance to the hotel, but these few minor changes could make this place a true gem at the beach.

The hotel is somewhat apathetic to early check in requests. Yes, I fully understand that this cannot be guaranteed or accomodated on every visit, but I do think more effort should be made, particularly for HH gold and platinum members, particularly those who are extremely frequent visitors to this establishment. Each time I stay, I note my request on the form, and call the front desk first thing in the a.m. to let them know I am on my way in hopes that housekeeping might be alerted to the request. However, each time it is always the same old story. The front desk appears to be completely unaware of my request, and it's always, "I'm sorry, we do not have anything ready" (even in the off season). I just find this extremely hard to believe given the volume of stays I have had at this hotel. One would think that a room would be available at least once in a blue moon. To their credit, I will say that "most" times, I do get in a bit before check-in time which is greatly appreciated. In comparison, each time I have visited the Oceanaire hotel, I am greeted at the reception desk with an acknowledgement that they are fully aware of my check in preferences and either have a room available or are working on it as we speak. Hotels need to understand how much this means to their guests when they make this extra effort. Either way, even without the early check-in, Hilton is great about allowing full use of the hotel facilities while you wait.

My other long standing issue has been with the pool area. I truly cannot understand why a resort of this caliber does not have better food service at the pool - particularly when there are two full service restaurants in the hotel. The very few items they have on the menu are pre-made in advance. For the second year in a row, I ordered a fruit and cheese platter only to be told that they could not serve that to me because they had run out of cheese. Really? No cheese with full service restaurants downstairs. Truly, no excuse. They brought out a plain fruit platter to see if I would like to purchase that instead (minus the cheese). This consisted of some poor looking, watery fruit rolling around in a plastic tray. Of course, I declined. I decided to order the ham and cheese wrap. Again, this was pre-made and the wrap was completely wet and soggy from sitting (for how long, I do not know). I stay at many beachfront resorts, and most typically go to the other extreme of pushing food and beverage to the poolside vacationer. This is clearly not a priority at this hotel, and I see it as such a tremendous loss of potential revenue. This is of course of no fault of the poolside staff, as they were all very friendly.

Finally, this hotel is also supposed to be 100% non-smoking, yet, smoking is allowed at the pool. No offense to smokers (I am a former one myself), but even though it is an outside space, the pool/lounging area is extremely small and it's not pleasant to be surrounded by smoke. I can understand smoking at the poolside bar, but I do not think ashtrays should be distributed and folks allowed to smoke in the lounge chairs that are all right on top of each other.

Again, the issues noted above are fairly minor and would only enhance the experience if changes were made. Otherwise, I had another great stay with no real complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends